Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 2.0 D4D Timing Belt

adman

My timing belt has been 'recommended' to be changed by Kwikfit during a service. However, I don't know when it was last changed so can't tell them for sure. The car has done 160000 miles. Kwikfit quoted approx £250 to change it, plus they said you really should do the water pump at the same time - another £250.

My questions are:

Is there a way to tell just by looking if the timing belt is actually worn?

Is it necessary to change the pump at the same time?

Is £500 for this a reasonable price?

Does anyone know anyone in Cardiff / Vale that could do this cheaper?

Its not that I don't trust the mechanics, its just, I don't.

In other news:

Will putting some lubrication on the pulleys stop them squeaking?

Hi Adam. I do not have much experience with diesels, but agree with you about the extra cost to change the water pump.

Here is a YouTube video on changing the cam belt only, not the water pump!

Unless there is a lot of work involved in removing the water pump after the cam belt has been removed, I cannot see why it should be so high. The pump costs an average of £70 and Euro Car part are doing discounts which brings the price under £45.

So I think £350 - £400 would be a good price. A lot of people would not trust KwikFit to do a job this complex and important.

Can't help you with the local mechanics.

Konrad

That price is crazy, PM me your vehicle reg number, I will price the parts for you, then get a price from your local garage to "fit only" the parts, it will be a couple of hours labour, max which will probably be £100-£140 plus VAT tops!

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have a 2004 2.0 d4d avensis.

There was a sticker under the bonnet that said when the timing belt was changed. This was because my car didnt have service history for the last 40,000 miles or so before I bought it.

Look out for it because Iv heard thats quite a common thing to do with timing belts.

Anyway, it was due for a change. Belt was £28, labour was £75.

Didnt change the water pump.

I have a 2002 d4d avensis with 280k miles always changed the timing belt every 60k a

nd have never needed to replace the water pump. Belt and labour all in for £80.

Cool thanks, did you take it to a local garage?

Yes. He found the sticker when I took it for an oil change and told me its due a new timing belt.

• 1 month later...

I also had the sticker under the bonnet along the top of the wing. A bit of advice, it is always a good idea to change the water pump when a cam belt change is done because if it fails then you will have to pay for the entire job all over again. However the water pump on the d4d model is on a stupidly large mounting bracket and evolves all pumps including alternator to be removed which can add up on labor costs but on the other hand once its done you wont need to worry about it for 60000 to 70000 miles, so worth the cost. The d4d engine if looked after will go for 500000 miles so worth that extra bit of cash to maintain.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All.

I make an video from timing belt change.

http://youtu.be/knCSAxDSH7s

-Timing belt and water pump change.

Mod Edit

Just a small tweak to allow direct access to the video

• Like 1

That price is crazy, PM me your vehicle reg number, I will price the parts for you, then get a price from your local garage to "fit only" the parts, it will be a couple of hours labour, max which will probably be £100-£140 plus VAT tops!

Kingo :thumbsup:

does this price include all the pulleys and tensioner?

Whats the price for a water pump change too?

excellent video thanks....just the pictures give you more of an insight of what to expect

My 02 avensis d4d now has 320k on it and never had water pump done. Lucky enough the avensis is not like most newer cars and needs a new pump every belt change. No point spending money when you don't have to and even if it does go bad its not expensive.

It could be if it throws the belt off and your pistons smash into your valves. ....320k and no water pump. ..? Mines leaking at 91k

Bono is right,its a interference engine. my dad changed his when he got the timing done, he bought the car to use as a taxi, at 84k, it was leaking. on other the hand 320k thats impressive!! many problems?

I use mine as a taxi and keen very reliable and easy enough on fuel. Just have the usual stuff...starter which they all need, altenator, clutch etc and a few suspension bits but thankfully moving too major. Lots of mechanics in my area say that the avensis up to 2003 are not known for needing water pumps. I really like the avensis and know will have to change it in the next year or 2 but I honestly don't know what I would buy now that would be as reliable or as easy on fuel!

the next shape (T25) but stay with the 1cd-ftv engine, its 115hp not that you will feel much difference in power, I would go for a 2005/2006. alot of them say you cannot beat the mk1 avensis. unless you have to stick to specific rules with your council.

• 4 years later...
On 10/30/2013 at 1:39 PM, adman said:

My timing belt has been 'recommended' to be changed by Kwikfit during a service. However, I don't know when it was last changed so can't tell them for sure. The car has done 160000 miles. Kwikfit quoted approx £250 to change it, plus they said you really should do the water pump at the same time - another £250.

My questions are:

Is there a way to tell just by looking if the timing belt is actually worn?

Is it necessary to change the pump at the same time?

Is £500 for this a reasonable price?

Does anyone know anyone in Cardiff / Vale that could do this cheaper?

Its not that I don't trust the mechanics, its just, I don't.

In other news:

Will putting some lubrication on the pulleys stop them squeaking?

You definitely need to change the water pump with the timing belt it is a must please don't risk it and use quality parts if you don't you will run a pretty high risk of totally wrecking your engine trust me I have seen it happen time and time again but that price is ludicrous £250 top wacky for top quality parts and about  £150 labour hope this helps