Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking Engine

Keith100

I have an 07 reg 2000cc diesel Avensis. It has a new engine in which has done 6500 miles. ( now out of guarantee) It smokes mainly on first start-up of the day but sometimes on other occasions. Is this a common problem?

What colour is the smoke? I would have thought it possibly could have been head gasket, but there's very little chance of that with the new engine with such low mileage. As far as I know the 07 2.0 D4D(1AD) do not have dpf or D-CAT.

Ecu update? Or if it has the fifth injector that could also cause smoking if it's on its way out

Alex

Change the fuel/air filter and clean the MAF! Run some BG244 in the fuel. Try a few tanks of Shell V-Power derv...

It should be! Mine was as it was on the invoice! But the OP needs to check if his was changed👍😎

The quality of fuel makes a big difference to what comes out of the tail pipe with these Toyota's... I wouldn't use anything other that V-Power derv. But I like to have the best food for my motor 🚗💨

Sam here - I always use branded fuel and a good quality low ash oil to top up - I used Castrol Magnetec 5w30 C2 for my last top up -£5 for 1 litre at Asda! Billy bargain

That's cheap! But if I'm not mistaken it was the same magnatec oil that caused Charliefarley to have problems with his Rav! I've heard some bad stuff about magnetec oils! But if it works okay then use it I say. I'd be looking at the Mobil 1 ESP or better still the motul French gear!.... 👍😎👏

Ecu update?

Alex

Would you say something more about ECU update? When it needs and what's the result after that?

If I'm not mistaken - Charlie was using Magnetec 5w30 A1 (high ash) as recommended in the handbook which has been superseded by C2 spec oils. Magnetec 5w30 C2 (low ash oil) is fairly new (afaik) and is designed for dpfs. Magnetec 5w30 C2 meets C2 and A5/B5 spec which is the same spec as Toyotas 5w30 PFE C2 A5/B5 (which is recommended for D-CAT Toyotas)

I figured Castrol was a decent make, it's a low ash oil and meets the specs -also it's only used for a top up - think my dealer used Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 C2 at service

Nice one mate 👍. Looks like you've done due diligence on the oil front😎. It's so important to use low ash C2 spec in some of theses engines. I like the Motul gear as it has high TBN and flash point and viscosity index! 🚗💨

Can I please thank everyone for their replies. ( I didn't realise I would get so many & I appreciate it) I will change my fuel as I normally get it from a local supermarket. Thanks again. Keith.