Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Diesel Fuel Filter Change Interval?

Cyker

Does anyone know if the fuel filter in D4Ds needs to be changed at certain intervals?

Last time I asked my local Mr T about this they said it was a very expensive job as it was inside the fuel tank, but this is a load of cobblers as it's right next to the engine. I was querying them about it last year as it is listed in the Full+ as a serviceable item but was never changed, and their defence was that it isn't included in the normal service schedule for a diesel Yaris.

My travelling mechanic says he normally changes them every few years but it depends on the car and some only need water drained off.

I'm pretty sure this Yaris and my old one are still using the original filters!

Is it worth changing? Or is it one of those things that aren't worth changing unless a problem occurs (Like if I switched to using biodiesel :lol:)

I think that fuel filters should be changed every 2 years or 30k... They don't cost that much! Especially if you hunt around eBay like I did and got genuine Toyota ones for less that a fiver delivered! After all... Changing a filter is a lot less expensive than changing s fuel pump or injectors! 🚙💨

With the Toyota range it normally 4y/40k on all models. Some of the newer Avensis on fleet programs are at 37.5k as they are on a 12.5k interval

Alex

That's why I am confused as to why my local Mr T say it doesn't appear as a service item! :unsure:

Any other Yaris D4D owners have any experience?

On the older D4D's the interval was 6yrs or 40k miles. I would ignore the 6yr interval, IMHO 30k and 3yrs makes more sense. For what they cost and the ease of replacing them it's not worth inviting a problem by neglecting them.

They haven't somehow got confused with the petrol fuel filter that is in the tank I wonder

Alex

Mk2 Yaris it's 6 years/40000 miles. Listed in the Service & Warranty book.

Seems a bit ambitious to me though. I'd tend to agree with denshaw - 3 years/30000.

I changed mine at 40k miles and then 55k. Takes about 10 mins and slightly messy..

Was it quite clean or quite manky by the time you changed it?

Are they paper, or metal?

Still agonizing whether to change it... :unsure: (The ol' "if it ain't broke..." rule vs the fact that it hasn't been changed in 60k miles!)

It's not in the tank on a diesel, someone has got confused dot com

Change it!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Okay okay okay! :D

Next question, should I do it myself or am I just going to get everything covered in diesel and thus should get my travelling mechanic mate to do it? I already found Fishy's instructions on the forum from two years ago :lol:

I change mine every 20,000 which on my milage ia once a year , its a 10 min job , can be a bit messy with deisel dripping on to the floor.

It's simple. to put a small plastic container - old ice cream plastic container, milk bottle cut in half under the filter - approximately - and use clear vinyl gloves available from any supermarket or B&Q etc - and drain the filter on the Mark1 using a clear tube into the aforesaid plastic container.. If worried about spills, use lots of paper towels to surround filter.

Sealed unit on Mark 1 so unless you cut it in two with a hacksaw, no idea how choked or clean the old one was..

So no dirty hands, little mess, easy peasy..

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/31/2013 at 7:41 PM, Cyker said:

Does anyone know if the fuel filter in D4Ds needs to be changed at certain intervals?

Last time I asked my local Mr T about this they said it was a very expensive job as it was inside the fuel tank, but this is a load of cobblers as it's right next to the engine. I was querying them about it last year as it is listed in the Full+ as a serviceable item but was never changed, and their defence was that it isn't included in the normal service schedule for a diesel Yaris.

My travelling mechanic says he normally changes them every few years but it depends on the car and some only need water drained off.

I'm pretty sure this Yaris and my old one are still using the original filters!

Is it worth changing? Or is it one of those things that aren't worth changing unless a problem occurs (Like if I switched t

Hello cyker & madasafish.

I’m having this same issue now with my 1.4 mk1 d4d. Would you please provide me with some more detailed instructions on how exactly to replace my fuel filter? There is nothing in the manual or the Haynes guide about how to do this. 

My car cut out twice yesterday after nearly 10k miles absolutely issue free since I bought it. It threw up and eml fault code 1229 and also the drain water light came on. So I’m guessing my first port of call would be to replace fuel filter  

In that time I’ve serviced it twice myself using a method which I read on this very forum.

Your swift response would be appreciated. 

o using biodiesel ):lol:

changed the fuel filter but no good. keeps cutting out at low speeds with fault code p1229?

could it be the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator or something else?