Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Handbrake

Conorking

I have 2012 Avensis. 4 weeks ago I parked at my local shop and got out of the car. The automatic handbrake failed to engage and the car rolled into cages at the front of the shop.

Thankfully no one was hurt but the bodywork on the car was slightly damaged. It could've been much worse!

Toyota have had the car since then and now they've come back and said the car is working correctly.

They say the reason the handbrake didn't engage is because the car was moving slightly when I turned the ignition off. The dealer has said this could be caused by as little as a gust of wind!

I find this bizarre. I'm not in the habit of getting out of moving cars! The car was stationery for at least 3 seconds before I exited because I had to find my wallet.

Surely there must be serious safety concerns if there are a particular set of circumstances that cause the automatic handbrake not to engage?

Has anyone else heard of or encountered an issue like this?

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap.

I have a 2013 Tourer TR which replaced a 2010 model in the summer. The 2010 model did not have the feature that automatically applied the handbrake and so I was used to having to press the button manually each time I parked up. It was only after a couple of weeks drining the new model that I discovered the automatic feature on the 2013 model :D but I have noticed that if the car is moving slightly when you turn off the ignition the handbrake does not automatically engage. I have never got out of the habit of pressing the button so it has not caught me out, yet !

Conor I had a good laugh when you said i'm not in the habit of getting out off moving car's, I remember when I got my car their where a couple of time's when I wasn't really thinking and pulled the lever instead off pushing it and lucky enough I wasn't out off the car when it rolled. Now I alway's leave the car in gear as well as the handbreak just in case god I hope Toyota go back to the old handbreak lever.

I would never rely on the handbrake alone. If my car is parked it is left in gear with the wheels turned to the kerb, Ive seen it happen too many times, even with handbrake levers, where people did not apply the lever hard enough or where a cable snaps. We rely too heavily on "technology" and sometimes we need to use a bit more caution

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 3

That's good sound advice Kingo forgot about the handbreak cable snapping happened too a friend off mine where he rolled into a merc ouch, he never really was a lucky sort. :(

Keep in mind metal contraction too. If the disks are hot when the handbrake is applied and then contract when cooling this will cause the grip on the disk to loosen. Sound advice above to leave the car in gear and point towards the kerb.

• Like 1

Hello people in Toyota land. I am a unfortunate owner of a '09 estate, the worst car i have ever owned sadly to say. In the last 13 months it's cost over £700 in bits and bats that have and are still going wrong !!!!!. The latest is the hand brake. its been reset twice and its flashed up the warning on the same stretch of road. No handbrake . I was told it's to do with the torque sensor lol. anyone know how much these are to replace ???. Ho it's a t4 model

Hello people in Toyota land. I am a unfortunate owner of a '09 estate, the worst car i have ever owned sadly to say. In the last 13 months it's cost over £700 in bits and bats that have and are still going wrong !!!!!. The latest is the hand brake. its been reset twice and its flashed up the warning on the same stretch of road. No handbrake . I was told it's to do with the torque sensor lol. anyone know how much these are to replace ???. Ho it's a t4 model

What issues have you been having? Might be best to message me as there are some on here that do not like to discuss the issues as they think the Avensis is 100% fault free and sadly get worked up about it.

I certainly wouldn't call the Avensis Tourer the worst car I have ever owned (driven).

My last company car was a 2009 Avensis D4D T2 Tourer. In 3.1/2 years, I put 150,000 miles on it, it averaged 56 mpg and I never had to top up the oil.

On the downside, a parking brake actuator failed and had to be replaced at 68,000 miles and the clutch had to be replaced afterwards.

I chose another one as a company car, 2013 Avensis D4D T2 Tourer in a different colour. I don't think the Avensis is perfect and dislike the centre storage lid / armrest so much that I would remove it if I could refit it easily when the car goes back. I did test drive other cars first:

Prius Plug In - hated it, now that I do consider the worst car I have ever driven, could be improved in my opinion by fitting a manual gearbox (I can't get on with automatics), torquey diesel engine, replacing the floor mounted parking brake with a proper handbrake and upgrading the cheap feeling plastics used in the interior with more upmarket plastics.

Mercedes A180 diesel, ok but didn't have the room inside that the Avensis tourer does and didn't feel as powerful an engine. I honestly felt the Avensis Tourer was a better car.

After looking at various cars from the many manufacturers on my company car list, I reached the stage where I started to think except for the parking brake actuator and the clutch, I had 150,000 miles of trouble free motoring, I never had cause to moan about the Avensis and it did everything I wanted from it so I played safe and chose another one.

I have owned Toyota cars since the mid 70s, the early ones I had where all built in Japan and I can't remember having a warranty claim on any of them, the first warranty claim I can remember was on a Camry built in the USA the next was a 1998 Avensis built in the UK on this car I had three warranty claims, the next claim was on a 2008 2.2 d4d Avensis for the alloy wheels paint peeling off, my current car a 2011 Avensis 2.2 d4d has currently had three warranty claims, one for the steering column rattling one for the glove box falling in half and one for a faulty valve in the screen washer.

Is the quality of Toyota cars getting worse?. Unfortunately I think it is.

I have owned Toyota cars since the mid 70s, the early ones I had where all built in Japan and I can't remember having a warranty claim on any of them, the first warranty claim I can remember was on a Camry built in the USA the next was a 1998 Avensis built in the UK on this car I had three warranty claims, the next claim was on a 2008 2.2 d4d Avensis for the alloy wheels paint peeling off, my current car a 2011 Avensis 2.2 d4d has currently had three warranty claims, one for the steering column rattling one for the glove box falling in half and one for a faulty valve in the screen washer.

Interesting to note you mention the steering column rattling, what was the remedy? My car is let diwn by this issue, it is is intermittent and the garage cannot identify it. Thanks.

Hi thanks for the replies. Well I have had two Toyota cars a '95 Carena E and this '09 Avensis. I have worked in Auto supply of blow moulded components. I have been involved in putting Toyota Production System in place so I know the quality issues and PPM's that have to be met. And there are issues all over the place !! lol. I have been to Leeds Toyota and what started as a good experience turned in to one individual making it a bad experience. And all I got was they wanted me to have a 100% satisfaction. I didn't get any just one bloke telling me I should take out there warranties. I am with the AA warranty and I had to go and ring them in front of him and sort it all out. Basicaly he been telling me porkies that they (AA) couldn't be contacted.

As for the hand brake the mileage is 70k. it looks to have had a hard first 50k and been a towing car. Water pump replaced. rear screen replaced, suspension front right replaced. indicator switch replaced. ERG and the butterfly valve same part of the system (£500)replaced the the exhaust manufould had to be decoked !!!!. now it's the parking brake !!! . will the list keep going on I ask myself. Give me a Skoda Octavia any time and that no joke Cheers Lads

Hi thanks for the replies. Well I have had two Toyota cars a '95 Carena E and this '09 Avensis. I have worked in Auto supply of blow moulded components. I have been involved in putting Toyota Production System in place so I know the quality issues and PPM's that have to be met. And there are issues all over the place !! lol. I have been to Leeds Toyota and what started as a good experience turned in to one individual making it a bad experience. And all I got was they wanted me to have a 100% satisfaction. I didn't get any just one bloke telling me I should take out there warranties. I am with the AA warranty and I had to go and ring them in front of him and sort it all out. Basicaly he been telling me porkies that they (AA) couldn't be contacted.

As for the hand brake the mileage is 70k. it looks to have had a hard first 50k and been a towing car. Water pump replaced. rear screen replaced, suspension front right replaced. indicator switch replaced. ERG and the butterfly valve same part of the system (£500)replaced the the exhaust manufould had to be decoked !!!!. now it's the parking brake !!! . will the list keep going on I ask myself. Give me a Skoda Octavia any time and that no joke Cheers Lads

Hope you are joking about the octavia, had a diesel one, petrol might be ok.

No Octavia '56 bought off the block with 123,000 on clock traded for a Volvo s40 another bad car lol. sold octavia with 146,000 one major expence was 2nd gear sinc' went other wise a good car. 1.9 diesel it's good for 250.000. look at the rapid response cars that the NHS use everyday lol Cheers

the old VW PD diesels were very reliable, the later common rails much less so (this is actually pretty common across all brands with the more complicated engines).

Cogs, there seems to have been quite a few actuators replaced on early T27 Avensis & they made a few changes to the parking brake on the facelift. If that turns out to be what is up with your car then you could try arguing that it's a known problem. The car is out of manufacturer's warranty so a goodwill gesture is what you would be hoping for.

Interesting to note you mention the steering column rattling, what was the remedy? My car is let diwn by this issue, it is is intermittent and the garage cannot identify it. Thanks.

Apparantly it is a known fault on this model and is due to the splines being soft and wearing as I understand it.

Apparantly it is a known fault on this model and is due to the splines being soft and wearing as I understand it.

Thanks that recall isn't for the current model. Suspect it is the same issue though.

Hi Heidfirst. Thanks for the info'. April '09 mine is. someone else mensioned 69k on there's and failing mine has 70k on it ??? makes you think ?? Cheers

Thanks that recall isn't for the current model. Suspect it is the same issue though.

No I realise that the recall is not this model but my local dealer advised it is the same fault and replaced the steering column.

On mine the rattle was most noticable at low speed on a rough road and slowly got worse over a few months.

No I realise that the recall is not this model but my local dealer advised it is the same fault and replaced the steering column.

On mine the rattle was most noticable at low speed on a rough road and slowly got worse over a few months.

Very Very interesting thankyou, same same symptoms as mine. Suppose I will have to wait until it gets worse.

the old VW PD diesels were very reliable, the later common rails much less so (this is actually pretty common across all brands with the more complicated engines).

Cogs, there seems to have been quite a few actuators replaced on early T27 Avensis & they made a few changes to the parking brake on the facelift. If that turns out to be what is up with your car then you could try arguing that it's a known problem. The car is out of manufacturer's warranty so a goodwill gesture is what you would be hoping for.

Hi Heidfirst,

I would agree that this is a known problem regarding the actuators on Avensis models. I had actuator fail on 09 TR CVT,new at purchase, and now the same problem with my 2013 reg Avensis T4 CVT. I have covered just 4000 mls.

Toyota have admitted that it is a known problem on some Avensis models. Reading the posts it appears to be be more common than Toyota will admit to. I have raised the issue with Toyota and have also contacted VOSA. It seems unfair that out of warranty car owners will face bills of up to £1500 to put right.

I do not understand how 4 years on from my last Avensis, the problem has not been addressed. Incidentally, some people are reporting problems with the electronic automatic handbrake on manual cars not engaging ! Faulty actuators.?

"I do not understand how 4 years on from my last Avensis, the problem has not been addressed. Incidentally, some people are reporting problems with the electronic automatic handbrake on manual cars not engaging ! Faulty actuators.?"

It supposedly has.been addressed ...

I don't know why you seem to think (going by your!) that this is something that should be different between manual & auto/CVT transmissions?

At least some of those reports will probably prove to be user error (car was moving etc.) but any that aren't are, of course, worrying.

A quick Google throws this up as also a problem on Ford, Jaguar/Land Rover, Opel/Vauxhall, Renault, VW group etc. etc.

Personally, I think that any advantages for these are all on the manufacturer's side ...

"I do not understand how 4 years on from my last Avensis, the problem has not been addressed. Incidentally, some people are reporting problems with the electronic automatic handbrake on manual cars not engaging ! Faulty actuators.?"

It supposedly has.been addressed ...

I don't know why you seem to think (going by your!) that this is something that should be different between manual & auto/CVT transmissions?

At least some of those reports will probably prove to be user error (car was moving etc.) but any that aren't are, of course, worrying.

A quick Google throws this up as also a problem on Ford, Jaguar/Land Rover, Opel/Vauxhall, Renault, VW group etc. etc.

Personally, I think that any advantages for these are all on the manufacturer's side ...

I am awaiting a reply from Toyota MD, perhaps he can explain why this is still a problem. With regard to VW group cars, VOSA are of the opinion that problems of this type were caused by user error on VW cars because of the complicated system. My car has always been parked before applying the electronic handbrake and not moving. The error code for the faulty actuator shows up as code 1750, which, according to the AA person I called out, was manufacturer specific and he was unable to do anything about it, and referred me to Toyota dealership.

With regard to VW group cars, VOSA are of the opinion that problems of this type were caused by user error on VW cars because of the complicated system.

the internet suggests that there were actual failures (in some cases due to water ingress). https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=vw+electronic+handbrake+problem&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#channel=suggest&psj=1&q=vw+electronic+handbrake+problem+failure

• 1 month later...

HI Conor,

I have exactly the same problem of the automatic handbrake not always coming on. It has only ever happened in heavy rain.Is that your experience.

I have had the same response from Toyota GB,in that as there is no fault message,then there can be no fault..and it must be my fault for parking while its moving.

They say the handbrake will not come on unless the car is stopped....This is NOT true,as if you try it very slowly (under 1 mph) it will still apply.When I pointed this out to them they accused me of saying their technicians didn't know their own products... well ... yes in this case.

This has been ongoing for a while,and they have already changed the main actuator unit,but it didn't make any difference.

Mine is an Avensis T4 tourer 12 plate,so I guess its the same build as yours. Comforting to know that there at least two of us out there.

If they maintain their stance I shall have to ponder other avenues.

Cheers