Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Start Up Problem

ANDREWALLANLOVE101

I am hoping that someone may be able to suggest a way forward with this issue!

When I turn the key all the usual lights come on, then the glow plug light goes out. However when I try to start the engine there is often silence for two or three attempts. Strangely, on the third or fourth try, she starts willingly. Any ideas?

Thank you, as usual!

Andy

I had this problem on my old Camry, and it was the starter motor relay. This was fitted behind the glove box on the Camry, but I don't know where it will be on the Landcruser. Hope this helps, good luck.

I would imagine this is a starter motor fault, the brushes wear on the armature, or the ignition switch (electrical part) on the back of the key

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes, new relay was about £25 a few years ago. It was green and mounted in the fuse box behind the glove box. I only found it because it would not start one day, and I was looking at the hand book for an answer. I shut the glove box, tantrum style, and then it started, hence glove box out and found the little blighter. Lol

• Like 1

It is a lilac coloured module: Part number 28300 - 46010 056800 - 1340.

Just been quoted £72 by the local Toyota dealer. Ouch.

Does anyone know of any cheaper options than a main dealer. Please!

Andy

Do some checking first before you buy one of those, they don't go very often, much more likely to be the starter pin / brush kit, it is very common on the LC and Hilux

Do some checking first before you buy one of those, they don't go very often, much more likely to be the starter pin / brush kit, it is very common on the LC and Hilux

Thanks Kingo

How would I check whether or not the relay is the problem please?

Cheers

Andy

You will need to do some tests whilst the problem is actually happening. You need to check there is a feed to the starter when this fault occurs, if there is a feed, its not the relay and probably as I posted above

Hi ,had the same problem last week on my land cruiser, cleaned and greased all earth points on my batteries, engine earths and starter motor earth points, problem solved, no expense, few minutes time with abrasive and grease. landcruiser has 2 batteries so yours will take less time .rgds Allan

Hi, I have already posted a reply, just adding one more thing ,I used to find after the first attempt when turning the ignition off and switching back on and waiting a little bit longer then starting it seemed to work witch suggests a bad earth and on an older vehicle like mine, age does have its earthing problems and the remedy is at no expense . hope this cures your problem, allan

• Like 1

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic: I really appreciate your help!

Cheers

Andy