Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filter Change

DjRav

I've serviced my 4.3 twice and changed the cabin air filter twice but have realised I've never changed the engine air filter. I've had a look round the forum but not seen much mention of it?!

So questions are;

1) what is the change interval (mileage/time)

2) I've seen "K&N" filters that are supposed to be better for performance and don't need changing again?

Any shared experience or info on these please?!

Dave

I have a K&N you can have for £25 quid posted if you want one of those .....

Allied to SR 180 with Lindop Chip, I noted bit more induction throatyness (not exactly a roar), but deffo more noticeable turbo whistle.

Performance increase in horse power......? Approximately one rear hoof........

Oil and cleaning stuff readily available on yonder Bay.

• Like 1

I've gotta K&N on my motor! As me old mukka Kev says it gives about a hoof (That's Scottish btw😆) more power. But as they never need changing (Just cleaning/oiling) then they make a good investment in my 📚

Allied to SR 180 with Lindop Chip, I noted bit more induction throatyness (not exactly a roar), but deffo more noticeable turbo whistle.

Performance increase in horse power......? Approximately one rear hoof........

Oil and cleaning stuff readily available on yonder Bay.

You do get the turbo whistle just that tiny bit more.. I bought a service kit for my car and a brand new air filter came with the kit so fitted that....

Like Tim says these never need changing as they are fit for life with just the occasional blow out with an air line....

I prefer just the standard noise to be honest but telling the difference is only possible with everything turned off and the widows up.....

I had a K&N but gave it away because of the turbo whistle. It was novel at first but then soon wore off.

I have K & N filter and agree with the others about the turbo whistle etc

Goes very well with the new engine and chip!

I like them because it allows the engine to breathe better! Not bothered about any noise the engine takes from using one! It's about cost pet mile for me and any extra £ in my pocket to buy nappies for me twins😷😷

Thanks all for the replies.

Didn't realise they made the car noisy, I'll have to consider that!

CF thanks for the offer, presume you didn't use it cos of the noise as well? Good price presuming its new/in the box. Are you sure that's the one for my car too (yours is different I believe) mines 57 plate XTR 2.2 D4D.

Do they come "oiled" or is that something you also need to buy straight away?

Sorry for more questions, but nobody's mentioned the change interval for the normal filter? I suppose it may have been changed at the Mr T main service I had last year?

Dave

Either 30 or 40k for normal filter, Dave, but I bin mine at 20k or two years, WCF.

AEROSOL OIL for Kev and Norm filters readily available on the bay........it is red tinted too for ease of gauging coverage.

Would have thunk that yours and Charlie's are same sorta kidney shaped wans......?

The air filters are all the same - more of a square with a corner chopped off but might be kidney shaped for robokev.

The air filters are all the same - more of a square with a corner chopped off but might be kidney shaped for robokev.

Ah was only kidney on........

Eh Kev ..... When Bob monk houses joke book went missing a few years ago it wasn't you that had it was it ......

• Like 2

Thanks all for the replies.

Didn't realise they made the car noisy, I'll have to consider that!

CF thanks for the offer, presume you didn't use it cos of the noise as well? Good price presuming its new/in the box. Are you sure that's the one for my car too (yours is different I believe) mines 57 plate XTR 2.2 D4D.

Do they come "oiled" or is that something you also need to buy straight away?

Sorry for more questions, but nobody's mentioned the change interval for the normal filter? I suppose it may have been changed at the Mr T main service I had last year?

Dave

Dave I had a new genuine filter so put that in but yes the turbo whistle did not appeal to me to be honest. There is no doubt that the standard cooking item is the quieter option. But to be honest unless you drive with the windows closed and the radio and fans off you aint going to notice !

This one is used but in good condition. They do after all never wear out. Cleaning should in reality take nothing more than a blow out with an air line. and pop it back in....

Normal filter should be changed yearly or at major service intervals.. Depends on how dusty the environment is where that car is used ? Running a dirty filter will result in poor MPG as the engine cannot breath like it should...

Make me an offer ? Every penny will be going to Macmillan nurses I seek not to make money on here.....................

You might like the whistle, it appeals to some people.

You might like the whistle, it appeals to some people.

..........and youz wonder why ah call him Casey Jones.......?

Nah........whistle ended up getting on my upper abdomen, but cleaning and reusing were great.

Thanks for all the help & advice. Bought new K&N for £33 and it's on its way already.

I'll see what the noise is like!

Btw, I pulled the old filter out to check it and it's minging. I'd have thought it should have changed last year (main service- Mr T) but it certainly looks older than that.

I'll have to make sure they DON'T change it next year!

Dave

Thanks for all the help & advice. Bought new K&N for £33 and it's on its way already.

I'll see what the noise is like!

Btw, I pulled the old filter out to check it and it's minging. I'd have thought it should have changed last year (main service- Mr T) but it certainly looks older than that.

I'll have to make sure they DON'T change it next year!

Dave

Ye get a wee sticker with the Kev and Norm filter, Dave, which is printed in Glasgow........"Touch This and Ye Get a Kickin", or words to that effect. Clean a wee area of airbox externals and it sticks well, or add some double sided sticky tape to augment adhesion. (Gus......"to help it stick betterer".......)

• Like 1

Never been a fan of them oily filters personally..always thought the cleaner and better air flow getting through to the MAF from a dry filter the better .

Couldn't be doing with all that cleaning and re-oiling either.

But could be wrong?

Ah was only kidney on........

Don't mention Kidleys to me..................

What do you fancy for your tea? Steak and Kiddly pie?

Don't you mean steak and kidney pie?

That's what I said diddle I?

That one? :D: :D:

• Like 1

Is there a contact we could use at RRG..........?

• Like 1

Is there a contact we could use at RRG..........?

No

• Like 1