Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Rev Range

Rattymr2

Been driving round in wifey's t180 today and whilst the initial pick up is great at 2k it goes flat at about 3400rpm. Other diesels I've owned have happily revved round to 4-4.5k.

Is it normal for this engine or should I start cleaning the egr etc.

Doesn't help I'm usually driving my S2000 which revs to 9k rpm lol.

The torque curve flattens out at about 1800 - 2200rpm. Just keep changing up and that thing will catch pigeons.

3400 sounds about right, im sure this engine produces it's max power at 3500rpm I can't remember.

It's tourqey engine in the Rav and like with any decent sized diesel you drive the tourqe curve... T180 is fairly rapid and the addition of a Lindop kit adds to this plus it smothes it out... Best money you will spend on a T 180. !!!

You are driving it like a petrol!!!! You have gone past max torque and are revving it for revving sake, no point in revving a diesel past max torque revs

yes you need a chip kit :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

That chip thingy really does make a difference,improved MPG and torque,and it delivers power right up to 3.5k rpm.

On an M'way run using cruise set at 70mph I always get 43-46mpg,(may god strike me down, true) with loads of power still in reserve.

I would definitely give the EGR a proper good clean,get it nice and new looking, making sure the valve seats properly with no daylight between it when closed. You can flick off the spring to make cleaning easier.

Theres a good guide on here,its very easy diy job.

The Alfa and fiat diesels I've owned before were both remapped and revved to 4.5k. Even my van revs to 4k on the chip box lol.

I only noticed the brick wall when I was overtaking and it caught me out when it flattened off at 3.5k.

I am already planning to clean the egr out this, my zx6 took priorty last weekend :-)

Mpg wise it's not too bad. Can keep it around 38-39 normal use. I find keeping revs around 2k is the trick rather than using as high a gear a possible. This means to go up hills etc you only need a small adjustment of throttle position to pick up as opposed to a big movement at 1500rpm in a high gear.

Short journey use in cold weather can knock the MPG right down to the mid twenties

The Alfa and fiat diesels I've owned before were both remapped and revved to 4.5k. Even my van revs to 4k on the chip box lol.

I only noticed the brick wall when I was overtaking and it caught me out when it flattened off at 3.5k.

I am already planning to clean the egr out this, my zx6 took priorty last weekend :-)

Mpg wise it's not too bad. Can keep it around 38-39 normal use. I find keeping revs around 2k is the trick rather than using as high a gear a possible. This means to go up hills etc you only need a small adjustment of throttle position to pick up as opposed to a big movement at 1500rpm in a high gear.

My Jag XF revs to over 4.5K but its just a waste of fuel trying similar antics in the Rav4...... Its in the gearing I think.. Point is the Rav will go more than quick enough without the need to rev it.

I like the low down grunt of a diesel engine and will likely never buy another petrol car.. That said my Wife has a wee Fiesta 1.4 petrol and I find it annoyingly revvy and busy.. Give me a good diesel anyday !