Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm / Immobiliser Problem Celica 2003 Vvti

mshaniak

Hi guys, hopefully someone would be able to help me /advise.

Since I got my licence I always wanted a celica. No car was as hot as this one to me. Finally, back in July, I got a 2003 reg, lovely and seemed with no problems, lovely condition, we'll looked after and with full service history. Gem!

But then one morning when I opened the door (used remote) the alarm just started going crazy. Had to lock it and unlock it again and it was fine. After few more days that happened again and since then every morning I had the same problem. Ended up locking the car using a key not a remote and my alarm problem seemed sorted out. I thought as long as I don't enable it, it should be fine.

After some time the problems started again, but this time with immobiliser. I opened the door and could hear this beeping sound, put the key in, turn it, lights came on, tried to switch the engine on and everything went blank and car won't start. Locked and unlocked the car again, turn the key, everything is fine, engine starts. So last couple of days was like that. Until today.

This morning, same thing with immobiliser, so I tried to use my method, but it didn't work. Tried 4 or 5 times. Nothing. After that even the beeping sound is not coming anymore and central locking doesn't work. I can only open the drivers door.

Checked the Battery and I get a reading of 12,39 so I think it's ok?

Checked fuses and they too looked ok.

Should I mention that also the interior light (the one next to the sun roof button) doesn't work either.? Bulb ok, sunroof ok, just light doesn't come on.

Also, as it might be a clue for one of you, there's a problem with a digital clock. Sometimes it works ok, but most of the time it's behind or waaaaay to much forward (does it make sense?) anyway, it doesn't show the correct time on most occasions.

I have no idea if all theses are connected somehow, but I hope some of you would know what the hell is wrong with this car. I know the best thing would probably be to take it to toyota or auto electrician, but I want to avoid the cost if possible and maybe try and get my man to fix it.

As much as I love my celica, it drives me nuts at the moment. Maybe one of you had or heard of similar problem and would be able to help me.

If you think some photos would help, let me know and I will post.

Thank you, Hanna

Assuming you have two remote keys, is the problem the same with both keys?.

Have you replaced the Battery in the key (CR1616)?.

Hi, thanks for reply.

I checked my other 2 keys and problem still present. Just went out now to check if maybe by some miracle it decided to change its mind and start but no success. Immobiliser light keeps flashing continuously.

Ok, so today I disconnected the negative pole of the Battery and left it for half and hour. Came back, connected again and everything is working fine (apart from digital clock that goes forward and the interior light). Let's see what happens next ;)

I'd get your car Battery checked. Although it's showing 12 volts, it could still be bad (had it on my Fiesta earlier this year).

The alarms on these are quite sensitive at times. They hate metal objects being left in the cup holders, plus if the Battery is playing up then it might be having problems powering everything.

When the car has been starting, how many times does it turn over before starting?

• 3 months later...

first port of call is Battery test, see if there is a bad cell then the second one sounds like alarm ecu issues. Not expensive to get sorted

Alex

• 6 years later...

Oh boy I looked everywhere and I have exactly the same issue. It seems that when I unploug the Battery it works but not alweys. Do you know what was causing yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Security systems do act up.

My OEM system went into valet mode and I could not get out of it.

Instead of wasting time trying to repair it I got a new after-market system installed for less than $70.  It works much better.  I could lock/unlock doors at much farther distances.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links