Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Rear Lights When Headlights Are On.

KYUSS

Hi guys this is my first post, my wife came home tonight and said people were beeping her because she had no lights on, when I went out the headlights were on but no tail lights.

The brake lights work ok.

I'm about to go hunting for the fuse boxes.

I googled it and there's one behind the steering cowling and one behind the Battery.

Any clue as to which box the tail light fuse would be in and will there be spares in there too?

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks... I did find that earlier on the forum, I can't see the lamps listed or find a Key for the diagram to show what the abbreviations mean.

Edit: found something called light control switch but it doesn't say if the fuses are under the bonnet or behind the steering cowling.

I believe the fuse will be in the pod under the steering cowling. I can be 100% in a little while but i just have to go and get the kids so will be a bit later if no one else replies :)

Some fuses are located to the sides of your speedo as well as in the engine bay.

If you turn your steering wheel to the right about 90 degrees, you will see a cross-headed screw
where the speedo cowl joins the lower cowl which goes under the wheel.

Remove that screw and the one on the other side, lift off the speedo cowl then you will see about 12 fuses.

Thanks for the replies!

I've checked all the fuses visually, my multimeter is at work (I've ordered myself a cheap one for home just now)

and I have found one fuse that is broken on the right hand side 3 up from the bottom. I swapped this with a good one and it's still no good.

I have noticed the number plate light isn't on either.

Probably a relay that switches the tail lights and number plate lights on when headlights are turned on?

It's annoying as car was only MOT'd on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure that the tail light fuse is 4th from the top on the right hand side. Whether this equates to '3rd from the bottom' I'm not sure. It should be 7.5a in any event. Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

fuse number 4 (7.5A) on the right side of your steering column (counting from above downwards) should be the fuse controlling, rear light, number plate light and instrument panel (check if your instrument lights are not working as well). Also check fuse number 9 (10A) on the right side of steering column. It is all in your instruction manual!!

Thanks guys. In the end she had to take it to the garage as I was working.

Inchcape toyota dealer, they charged her £89 to change 2 fuses, one of which I had already identified and removed.

Shocking!

She paid, came to get in the car and it wasn't fixed at all, she had to wait then whilst they did it again.

She has just this minute phoned me and told me she's in asda car park as on her way home from work everyone was beeping her.

Grrrr.

Back to the drawing board.

• 6 years later...
On 11/8/2013 at 4:52 PM, KYUSS said:

Thanks guys. In the end she had to take it to the garage as I was working.

Inchcape toyota dealer, they charged her £89 to change 2 fuses, one of which I had already identified and removed.

Shocking!

She paid, came to get in the car and it wasn't fixed at all, she had to wait then whilst they did it again.

She has just this minute phoned me and told me she's in asda car park as on her way home from work everyone was beeping her.

Grrrr.

Back to the drawing board.

Hi KYUSS,

I know it has been a long time since this topic was posted but have you managed to fix that issue wit tail lights in your wife's Aygo? I have the same issue with my missus aygo, all fuses are fine (checked them all using the meter, around the speedometer and under the bonnet). Was looking for the relay but can't find the ubik... 

Thanks in advance!

Mike

• 1 year later...

Thanks, I install a parking sensor but only works when the lights are off, when I turn on, doesn't work. 

I'm looking for OR logical switch to connect the red and the brown white to switch on

• Haha 1

I bought a very nice used Hyundai i30 and got the dealer to fit from park sensors. Picked it up…… the newly installed front sensors would only work in reverse. 🤪

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I bought a very nice used Hyundai i30 and got the dealer to fit from park sensors. Picked it up…… the newly installed front sensors would only work in reverse. 🤪

That's normal, usually there is also a switch on the dash so that you can activate the front sensors without having to select reverse first. Maybe because they weren't fitted to car as new, yours didn't have that switch? 

Nope, this was a used car so dealer was fitting, I took it back for them to sort which they did……. In reverse back ones come on, going forward front ones come on….how easy is that.

In reverse, they should all come on. That is the usual way they work.

5 hours ago, hamuy said:

Thanks, I install a parking sensor but only works when the lights are off, when I turn on, doesn't work. 

I'm looking for OR logical switch to connect the red and the brown white to switch on

Sounds like it's been installed wrong - possibly using the side light connection instead of the ground (that would explain it only working when the lights are off)?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links