Battery Failing?

Yelramp

Good morning All,

is there a simple way of gauging whether my Battery is on it's way

out?

Reason I'm asking is that last night, the alarm went off a few times

for no apparent cause. I opened / closed all doors, back door, bonnet and

windows and turned off the interior sensor (3 remote clicks) but I've

read that this could be an early sign of Battery problems.

The car had a full Toyota service just 2 weeks ago but I don't know

whether they actually test the battery's condition or just tighten and

grease the terminal connections.

The car turns over and starts fine so appears OK otherwise but I

don't want to get caught out if She's giving me a "heads-up".

Many thanks,

Phil.

I recommend you get the Battery checked as your fear sounds very reasonable - sorry.

I have only experienced this once, years ago, with a Toyota Picnic. I locked it up but left the lights on and didn't notice the buzzer! I parked close to where I worked and some time later the alarm went off. The alarm was to alert me to the Battery running down but I didn't know, and just switched the alarm off and locked the car without the alarm, and only found out later when the car would not start!

Good luck,

David

On mine I've always found that it refuses to start well before the alarm gives issues. Then again can't remember if the alarm sounds or just the hazards go on when my Battery has become so flat.

Don't know how old it is Kev. Shows as an Exide EB455 45AH 300A on the label.

Worryingly, I found a list of so-called compatible vehicles for this Battery and the

Rav4 wasn't among them. In fact the only Toyota listed was the Tercel?? :dontgetit:

I know we are supposed to go by CCA ( Current Cranking Amps), but even my new Battery for my lekky golf trolley is 33Ah, Phil.

Have you got one of those wee tiny batteries than Firemac got 300 years out of but us mere mortals binned mainly coz we didn't trust it?

If it is the wee Battery.......get it drop tested asap.......REAL Battery size will still fit yer car's tray.

Don't know how old it is Kev. Shows as an Exide EB455 45AH 300A on the label.

Worryingly, I found a list of so-called compatible vehicles for this battery and the

Rav4 wasn't among them. In fact the only Toyota listed was the Tercel?? :dontgetit:

Hi Phil,

I'd guess that your Battery isn't the original as it is Exide and the RAV usually has a Japanese Battery as an OEM fitting, something like Yuasa, etc. So, given the age of your car and assuming that the original lasted anywhere between 3 & 5 years, the Exide could be up to seven years old?

As BK has said, the VVTi's had pretty dinky batteries as OEM but nevertheless the original one on our previous 02-reg 4.2 lasted over 9 years with no issues. I only changed it because I feared it might let The Management down on a snowy morning and strand her somewhere inhospitable which, of course, would have been my fault, leading to a session in la maison de chien.....

I replaced it with one of Mr.T's finest batteries, fitted & complete with 4-year warranty (it was a white-labelled Varta). You could do worse than check out the Toyota dealer offerings.

• Like 2

Main dislike I had with that wee Battery was if ignition ONLY was left on for any longer than a few minutes............gubbered.....no starty.

• Like 1

I only changed it because I feared it might let The Management down on a snowy morning and strand her somewhere inhospitable which, of course, would have been my fault, leading to a session in la maison de chien.....

Aye Glasgow is dead rough...........................incoming..... :D:

• Like 1

Just whack a diesel Battery in there, it'll last for a decade! :lol:

(Yaris D4D, '54-plate, still on original Battery! :lol:)

Take the door switches out one by one, clean them with a bit of wire wool so they make a good contact and then give them a squirt with WD40 before putting them back. It only takes 5 minutes.

I only changed it because I feared it might let The Management down on a snowy morning and strand her somewhere inhospitable which, of course, would have been my fault, leading to a session in la maison de chien.....

Aye Glasgow is dead rough...........................incoming..... :D:

Glasgae? The Management ain't daft, tha knows!!!

So went to local Toyota dealer yesterday, they put the Battery on their testing

machine and it showed as "not holding charge - replace battery". Yes, they agreed

spurious alarm activation could be a sign of Battery troubles.

Their recommended Battery (45ah) was £57 fitted. Asked about a higher capacity

unit and they said wasn't to be recommended. Anyway, went for their suggested

recommendation with 3 years warranty.

Don, I'll clean the door switches at the weekend, thanks for the suggestion.

Phil.