Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Headlights

Towncrier

I have just purchased a Yaris Hybrid and love the car, all is brilliant - well nearly

The headlights are c - - p they are so dim and the new system they have does not seem to work.

There is only one bulb with one filament in the headlights and when you flick the full beam on a flap lifts up and the dip bulb becomes the full beam.

:crazy: 55w bulbs are NOT good enough for a full beam.

:boxed:due to the fitting I cannot get a replacement - any help would be gratefully received.

I have just purchased a Yaris Hybrid and love the car, all is brilliant - well nearly

The headlights are c - - p they are so dim and the new system they have does not seem to work.

There is only one bulb with one filament in the headlights and when you flick the full beam on a flap lifts up and the dip bulb becomes the full beam.

:crazy: 55w bulbs are NOT good enough for a full beam.

:boxed:due to the fitting I cannot get a replacement - any help would be gratefully received.

The headlights may well not be aimed correctly. Take it back to where you bought it and ask them to set the headlights correctly.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thank you Geoff, I have done that and they say all correct.

The problem is the Yaris I had before seemed to have great lights and this one is just not good.

So much so my wife told me to switch the dipped on, she thought I was running on side lights

That was on a lit a road, you could not see the pool of light in front of the car.

What bulb fitting do you have?

the one below has similar fittings.

Halfords (HBU711EB) H11 Extreme Brilliance Car Bulb

These have the same type of fitting were the wires go in - but the fittings that hold the bulb into the unit are completely different.

I have been into numerous car accessory shops and whereas they have similar bulbs there are no fittings onto the light unit the same.

Your owners manual should state what fitting the headlamp bulbs are - in the index check 'Light bulbs - Replacing' or 'Light bulbs - Wattage', and there should be a table stating the wattage and type of fitting for each bulb.

Think you will find they are HIR2 LL bulbs, but just check the manual

I have done a couple of reviews on various Yaris I have driven and it's one of the things I don't like about the car, dipped lights are poor, main beam is fine

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Yes I have found out now that the bulbs are HIR2's. I can find nothing about the LL at the end.

The only problem is I now cannot find any upgrades for them - in this country that is.

Phillips make an upgrade but I can only get them from the States.

I do not feel like paying out around £60 without knowing for sure they are the right fittings.

I need to know that they will not melt the plastic in the light unit.

I agree with your statement about the dip but I also feel that the full beam on the Yaris Hybrid is not as good as the Yaris D4D I had before.

If anybody knows of a supplier of an upgrade to the yellowish coloured HIR2's I would be grateful.

HIR 2 bulbs are supposed to be brighter than halogen, and the LL version is supposed to produce a whiter light. There has been a discussion in the Auris club about these bulbs - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/151544-2013-headlights/

Thank you to all those that have replied, my one question now is "where can I get the LL type, please"

As far as I'm aware, there is only Philips who make the HIR2 bulbs. - so I would be inclined to take one of your existing bulbs out and check you haven't already got HIR2 LL's fitted (also called 9012 LL).

These US sellers are the only ones I've come across - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-9012-HIR2-LL-C1-X-1-BULB-55W-STOCK-COLOR-HEADLIGHT-BULB-HALOGEN-6659-/400293754868?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d335df7f4 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-9012-HIR2-LL-C1-X-1-BULB-55W-STOCK-COLOR-HEADLIGHT-BULB-HALOGEN-6659-/400293754868?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d335df7f4.

Those bulbs are stock colour so would there be any improvement in the light emitted? or would you just be buying a standard bulb? They are still only 55w, and not a cheap replacement, about the same price of a genuine Toyota one

Kingo :thumbsup:

It seems the best thing I can do at the moment is be patient and keep what I have.

In the future something might crop up.

Thank you to everyone for their help.

• 1 month later...

So it's not just me that finds the Yaris Hybrid headlights - on dip or full beam - to be absolutely atrocious.
Sadly though, I followed bad advice and purchased H4 replacements, before finding out that whilst the regular Yaris is H4, Toyota chose this completely duff, unacceptable HIR2 type, specifically for the Hybrid.
:disgust::mad2:

• 1 month later...

Hello i have fount a pilot xenon pro line kit for HIR2.. but im not sure if it fits since the low and high beam is in 1 compartment right?

Thank you for replying.

A new pilot xenon sounds just the job, we actually have difficulty driving in country lanes at nightthe standard ones really are rubbish,

I was hoping that a replacement might be out from Toyota by now.

Have you a link or a name for this kit?

hi, im not sure it it ships to the UK.. but i dont think its a problem for you since i saw you mention about Halfords bulbs.

http://www.pilotxenonshop.com/pilot-xenon-hir2#.UuUvSxA1iHs

I am planning to order one of these as well.. but i cant test it yet since my yaris is expected to be delivered next saturday

Why does the Halfords name relate to them shipping to the UK.

Sorry to be dumb but in this case I am lol

no its not you.... i were just confused.. didn't realize Halfords was actually founded in the UK and thinking it's a dutch brand -_- so i was assuming you are from Netherlands as well..

but the xenon kit i mentioned unfortunately don't ship to the UK.

i will keep you updated when i can finally pickup my yaris and have the kit installed. Then i will try to post some pics too.

THAT WOULD BE GOOD - SEEMS SO WRONG WE HAVE TO ALTER THE LIGHTS OURSELF.

A new motor at that price and we have to spend money getting the car to a decent standard.

Look forward to your photos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i think your best bet maybe to go to Halfords and just tell them your want upgraded headlamp bulbs fitted. They used to fit them for free if you bought them there although i have recently heard they now make a small charge but it is a pittance. They seem to stock just about every bulb on the market, including upgrades, (I worked for them many years ago), going down this route you give the problem to them about the correct fitting and can advise you of the best one for you.

Regards Mike169