Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pas Power Steering Locking Up

AV3

Hello

I have an Toyota Avensis 1.8, auto pre August 2000 model. There is a problem with the power steering, the pulley on the pump is intermitently locking up when the steering wheel is moved to either side of neutral position. The pump pully locks up completely when the steering is at full turn both sides.

My initial diagnosis was a faulty pressure relief valve, I was thinking that the pressure relief valve was failing to actuate causing back pressure on the pump blades translating back to the belt pulley.

So yesterday I installed a second hand PAS pump and new belt, followed with a refill of fluid and a system bleeding. Testing the system everthing was fine, no problems at full lock, nice and quite with no locking of the pulley.

Today I took the car out and the squeel of a belt rubbing on metal was back. The pump pulley had started to lock up again. Allthough still intermitant and less than the old pump, the pulley still locks up when the wheel is at full turn, during normal turning of the wheel the pulley will lock up intermitantly and can be turned through the point where it locks up.

Was my initial diagnosis of a faulty PRV totaly off the mark?

Can anyone tell me why there is a cable connection to the PRV? Is this an electrical actuated valve or is it for some other purpose?

Thanks in advance for your time

Evan

When you say 'locking up' I presume you meant that the drive belt was still moving but slipping over the PAS pulley wheel? Is it possible that the belt was just too slack? The power steering has to work hardest when at full lock and therefore the force required through the drive-belt is at its greatest - hence slipping belt. I recall that correctly tensioning that belt required a long pry-bar against the pump body to get sufficient leverage. could this have been the problem?

• Like 2

When you say 'locking up' I presume you meant that the drive belt was still moving but slipping over the PAS pulley wheel? Is it possible that the belt was just too slack? The power steering has to work hardest when at full lock and therefore the force required through the drive-belt is at its greatest - hence slipping belt. I recall that correctly tensioning that belt required a long pry-bar against the pump body to get sufficient leverage. could this have been the problem?

So it turns out that the alternator belt was slipping. I checked the deflection and it was about 20mm. So adjusted the belt tension and all is good now. How embarrassing, well I now have a spare PAS pump and a bruised ego :) Its all good though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Gazza, much appreciated.

If anyone could tell me the purpose of the wire on the PRV that would be great, I cannot find it listed in the wiring diagrams; it must be there somewhere. Maybe part of the OBD?