Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difficult Gear Change, Corolla Verso 2.0 4D4

hertzvanrental

Hi, after some advice please. I have a corolla verso 2.0 4d4 (55 plate) with a manual gearbox.

Over the last few days I have been finding it increasingly difficult to change gears. The car is fine when changing up however when changing down it is really stiff. Particularly down from 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd. It appears fine when cold however within about 5 minutes of starting and the vehicle is warming up, the difficult changing down starts. When the car is off or idle and the clutch is depressed there is no resistence. No grinding either.

Is it clutch?

Fluids? (tried checking fluid levels but can't seem to find where to check)

Or (god, hope not) gearbox?

I've searched the net but keep getting the same replies and the closest one to mine is an Avensis but with slightly differing symptoms.

N.B It's had a recon gearbox about 3 months ago (due to previous 5th gear popping out) which is guaranteed for 12 months.

I thought I'd try on here first instead of hauling the car 40 miles away where the recon box was fitted.

Cheers in advance. Any help greatly appreciated.

My guess is there is drag on the clutch, often caused when worn or is contaminated with oil (only needs a bit)

Obviously it is difficult to give a definitive answer as fluids / oil levels need to be checked also, but i would suspect the clutch

If the gearbox is guarenteed then give the garage a call and get them to test drive it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links