Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Start Assist Control

Ratho1

I cannot get the hill start assist control to work on my new Auris XL Hybrid. Stamping hard on the brake once or more does not appear to activate the system. I frequently have to stop at traffic lights on a steep hill and have found this safety gadget extremely useful in my previous cars. Is there a particular knack to activating it on the Auris ? I'll be asking the dealership at my next visit just in case I am missing a trick.

Press the brake pedal hard, don't stamp, a hard press and you will hear a bleep noise, it is then applied

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've tried it both ways to no avail. I hope to see one of the Dealer techies tomorrow. Maybe he can put me right.

Frank

You have to be in drive mode when you stop, don't go to neutral or apply park. Then as you are on the brake pedal press it down more, as Kingo says you will hear a beep, and the traction light on the dash will flash a bit, you must keep your foot on the brake pedal (not necessarily with a lot of pressure).

When you come to move off come off the brake pedal, you now get two seconds to get on the gas before the car releases the brakes. If you get on the gas quicker than two seconds and take up the slack you will cancel the HSA, so don't be worried that by moving off within the two seconds that you are fighting the brakes.

If you are too slow, the car will release the brakes and then you either hope the HSD will hold or you roll backwards.

This is all with the hand brake off by the way, I don't know that if by using the hand brake you can't enable the HSA, I have never tried.

Lastly, be mindful of your fellow driver behind you especially at night or in the rain, brake lights aren't nice to look at for long!

Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice. It works !!! I must have been hitting the brakes too hard before. Being a little gentler did the trick first time this morning. Relief !! :bangin:

The very weird thing about hill assist is that you CAN'T use it very first thing.

i.e. if you've been parked on a hill, you go to the car, start the engine, take off the handbrake with the brake pedal down, you can't then push down to enable hill assist. Which, if you ask me, is a pretty daft shortfall.

The car needs to roll a bit first, or needs to try to bite a bit in gear, before the system will even try to work.

It's very bizarre. After fiddling around several times I think I've finally got its number. I've tried engaging reverse, then drive (E), easing off the brake until I can feel the "clutch" bite but just before it rolls, and sometimes it then works. Alternatively I just use the handbrake for from-parking-hill-starts, but it's a shame having theoretically paid for a magical hill assist system.

I would go so far as to say the hill assist system kinda sucks, having test driven a Golf and Leon with their automatic ones that *just work* before buying the Auris (and not really understanding - which is still slightly true - how the Toyota sytem worked). But if you keep messing about you'll eventually almost figure it out.

I've still had a couple of moments at traffic lights on a hill where it just refuses to come on, though.

I haven't had to do a hill start from cold yet Timboo so cannot comment. I agree with you though, it seems a very odd system compared with the VAG system. My Audi just "did it" whenever I braked or parked on a hill.

Our dealer gave some spiel about the VAG system (giggle) being very tough on the brakes and wearing through them much faster. That may or may not be true, but it's still a much friendlier user experience. Oh well, we've made our beds (bought Toyotas!), now we've got to lie in them!

He would say that wouldn't he ? Would you trust a used car salesman ? I've never had a problem with prematurely worn brakes except a Lexus ( Toyota again !!) I had produced distorted discs just at the first M.O.T., surprise, surprise. I thought they were fine but lost the argument; no discs no M.O.T. Fine car though.

He would say that wouldn't he ? Would you trust a used car salesman ?.

Never, used or unused. My experience, even in a main dealers of any manufacturer, is that none of the salesmen are experts in the product they are trying to sell. This week it's a car next week could be a three piece suite. You always need to research and test drive to cover all the points that are important to you.

The very weird thing about hill assist is that you CAN'T use it very first.

After reading this earlier I got in my car to come home and remembered reading it. I managed to engage the HSA right away from starting up; all I did was press the power button with the brake pedal depressed a little bit to allow the car to start, then released the handbrake and then I pressed the brake pedal down another inch or so and the HSA activated.

Try again next time you start up, but don't press the brake pedal down a lot when you press the power button.

• Like 1

The very weird thing about hill assist is that you CAN'T use it very first.

After reading this earlier I got in my car to come home and remembered reading it. I managed to engage the HSA right away from starting up; all I did was press the power button with the brake pedal depressed a little bit to allow the car to start, then released the handbrake and then I pressed the brake pedal down another inch or so and the HSA activated.

Try again next time you start up, but don't press the brake pedal down a lot when you press the power button.

Well I don't have a fancypants power button but I will certainly keep trying subtly different ways to get it to engage. I have a multimode diesel, being really light on the pedal seems to basically equate to engaging the clutch and letting off the brake, so I can see why that might tell the car "it's go time" and allow the hill assist braking system to get ready for action.

Will try it as soon as my car is out of the garage. New bumper, a DOG chewed the old one's corners off. Yep, a dog. FML :laughing:

Ah sorry, I forgot this was in the Auris section, I normally live in the hybrid section!

Well, in all honesty the HSA may actually work differently then in non-hybrid cars, I don't know, sorry. Maybe someone else with the same model & gearbox combo can help