Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question For Those Who Have Lowering Springs Fitted

kevin65

The aygo being relatively tall and narrow makes it more susceptible to wind and stormy conditions on the motorway. Have you found lowering the car has made any noticeable difference when driving in windy conditions?

Yes definitely! and fitting wider wheels! I now have 195/45/15 and it is so mud more stable than when it was on the 155/65/14s! Makes the car a lot stiffer and handles a lot nicer around the corners

putting wide wheels on an aygo isnt going to help you in the winter months when the road surface is slippy,

as we all know the aygo is as light as a feather and by having wide wheels you reduce the pressure that is exerted

onto the ground and therefore you will have reduced grip so in winter that can lead to loss of traction.

putting wide wheels on an aygo isnt going to help you in the winter months when the road surface is slippy,

as we all know the aygo is as light as a feather and by having wide wheels you reduce the pressure that is exerted

onto the ground and therefore you will have reduced grip so in winter that can lead to loss of traction.

and? i still have the original alloys to put back on if i need too....you can't slate having wide wheels on until you drive it with some! it changes how the car sticks to the road so much! no more being blown around etc feels a lot more stable and not like its going to fall over around corners!

and? i still have the original alloys to put back on if i need too....you can't slate having wide wheels on until you drive it with some! it changes how the car sticks to the road so much! no more being blown around etc feels a lot more stable and not like its going to fall over around corners!

your obviously young as you arent reading my post properly.

i haven't slated wide wheels ,in my years of driving i have been through the phase of mods on cars i have had the wide wheels and yes they do make the car feel more secure on the road and yes the car will handle better through the bends generally it will be due to the fact that the side wall is alot shorter and therefore alot stiffer.

what i am trying to say simply is having wide wheels is like wearing snow shoes it spreads your weight over a larger area therefore the lbs per square inch is less, the smaller the footprint the lbs per square inch increases and this helps traction in bad winter weather thats all

100% agree. It's why supercars really struggle with aquaplaning. The 335/45's I had were a nightmare on soaked motorways, and ice/snow was a total non starter. It's also why snow tyres on rally cars are relatively skinny.

I don't think he was slating you mate, just stating a fact regarding wide tyres in bad conditions.

i haven't slated wide wheels ,in my years of driving i have been through the phase of mods on cars i have had the wide wheels and yes they do make the car feel more secure on the road and yes the car will handle better through the bends generally it will be due to the fact that the side wall is alot shorter and therefore alot stiffer.

what i am trying to say simply is having wide wheels is like wearing snow shoes it spreads your weight over a larger area therefore the lbs per square inch is less, the smaller the footprint the lbs per square inch increases and this helps traction in bad winter weather thats all

Fair enough you weren't slating me but still i wasn't talking about bad conditions! Kevin asked if lowering it helps in windy conditions! Not snow! haha and i said yes it does along with the wider tyres!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking of just getting lowered springs and keeping the standards wheels and tyres. The Contis look weedy but have good grip especially in the rain, which we get LOADS of in the west of Ireland.

Fair enough you weren't slating me but still i wasn't talking about bad conditions! Kevin asked if lowering it helps in windy conditions! Not snow! haha and i said yes it does along with the wider tyres!

i only mentioned winter as we are entering the winter season thats all ,it is just something else to think about

To be fair mate, you stated "and fitting wider wheels! I now have 195/45/15 and it is so mud more stable than when it was on

the 155/65/14s! Makes the car a lot stiffer and handles a lot nicer around the corners".

You brought up tyre width, not the OP or anyone else.

The OP requested whether <lowering> would help in 'stormy conditions'. You brought up wide tyres.

If 'storm' means 'rain' then no your wide tyres could decrease overall grip in nasty conditions on a lightweight car. Ever noticed how skinny the tyres are (especially the fronts) on say a Lotus Elise?

We're not trying to sound smartubik. In dry, warm conditions extra tyre width generally means more grip but go outside of those parameters and the goalposts move.

All of it is irrelevant really, because I would bet my house on the Stig doing a better lap time on std width Aygo tyres in standing water conditions/ice/snow than you or anyone else on your 'wide' setup :)

Understood Gov. I'm a newbie here as you know. I don't want to offend. Hopefully it's all good discussion and I don't wish to upset anyone. :)

Just to change the subject slightly... My aygo is a 3 door & I often have a loaded car (4 adults) .. and it runs a bit 'low'. Does the 4 door have stiffer springs ? is there a stiffer spring upgrade I can do ?

I am off to Brussels at Christmas with a full car (4 ppl), the boot will have weekend bags in, and i will have my roof box. I think it might be a tad low on the return trip with a full roof box of duty free and Christmas pressies.. :)

stu