Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch, Flywheeel, And Dmf Advice Please.

TONY44

Hi folks, new to the forum, so please be gentle, :thumbsup:

This has probably been asked many times, but did a bit of a search last night, google, etc, and the info is so confusing, I thought I would join here as I am sure there are members on here that may be able to give me some straight answers.

I run three Toyotas here, a Hiace, a Mk3 Hilux, and a 2004 Rav4 D4D.

I have had the rav for just under 12 months, and yesterday was the second time that I have had to be carried home by the RAC. :crybaby:

First time was because the alternator died, that was expensive enough, and a bit of a bugger to fit, but yesterday, I lost all drive, as the DMF has now gone. :angry:

I can get a LUK Clutch kit and DMF from Euro Car Parts for £460 all in, but have some questions please...

1, Is it a DIY job? (I have no ramp, just a shed, trolley jack, axle stands etc, and would say my mechanical knowledge on a scale of 1 to 10 is about a 6, give me bodywork and I am much more at home)

2, If it is not a DIY job, then how much should I expect to pay for labour only?

3, Are the horror stories of converting to the solid flywheel true, or is it an option?

I use it for work, and do about 120 miles a day, stop start driving, and it has just passed 150k, and love it to bits when its going fine, so really hope somebody can advice me on the above.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

welcome to the forum....

there is a lot of info on the clutch for your car on this part of the forum.

I know that the clutches on my own cars can be changed with engine in situ but dropped slightly.

Have a search here or one of the oily burning lovers will be along shortly

Have you looked at ECP sister site? It's the same stuff! But a lot cheaper! Google search "cheap car parts" and it will come up.

I'd be carful about going for a solid SMF over the DMF! Duel mass takes some of the load off the gearbox! I think you might find that it's quite a big job! Give Mr T a ring and get a price.

Try looking on eBay for a genuine new DMF and clutch kit! They come up from time to time. Btw... LUK make the genuine ones for Toyota...

Good luck

Ps... Anchorman would be a good person to speak to on this 😎👍

Have you looked at ECP sister site? It's the same stuff! But a lot cheaper! Google search "cheap car parts" and it will come up.

I'd be carful about going for a solid SMF over the DMF! Duel mass takes some of the load off the gearbox! I think you might find that it's quite a big job! Give Mr T a ring and get a price.

Try looking on EBay for a genuine new DMF and clutch kit! They come up from time to time. Btw... LUK make the genuine ones for Toyota...

Good luck

Ps... Anchorman would be a good person to speak to on this

...........and so would Chris Tech 01........ Been running for ages with a SMF Kit (LUK.....) to no disadvantage.

Yorkshire prices for DMF and clutch replacement -Indie one £1152, Indie 2 £1400, Mr T £1700.

I take the view that Toyota wouldn't use DMFs if SMFs would do but I know others disagree.

• Like 1

Here's a wee canna worms to mill over, and I am no accountant, but.......

The vehicles which are now coming up for flywheel replacement are usually both highish mileage ones, and/or beginning to age somewhat. Is it not sense therefore to opt for the cheaper investment of a GOOD Single Mass Flywheel and more than likely have your investment pay for itself, rather than fit another expensive DMF, only to have it fail prematurely.......again......which I was shocked to learn (Tech 01) is not uncommon in the least......?

Do not accuse me of Rav agism either........wife's 2004 very dear to me. (Petrol.......flywheel safe......please God, eh......?)

Big Kev.......not trained by Jamesy Firemac......lol.

In September, I supplied a new clutch and dual mass flywheel to my local Toyota garage and they fitted them. The labour charge was £275 - 00, new gearbox oil £11 -50. Total including vat £344. They carried out the task in about 4 hours. I had contemplated doing the work myself and was prepared to do it over two days. The Rav4 has done 120K and now will do another 120K.

The single mass flywheel is a cheaper option and if you are towing or doing long daily trips, I doubt you'll notice any difference.

A Dmf gives a slightly smoother gear change in urban and heavy traffic commuting.

• Like 1

I was lucky and bought a brand new genuine Toyota DMF (which is LUK) and clutch kit off a very nice guy off here. I'm hoping that I never need to use it.😏✨🌟💫

No, it isn't a DIY job with only the basics of ramps, trolley-jack, etc. You need to remove the transfer-box first, and then the gearbox to get to the clutch. Definitely, IMO, a job for professional ramp, although it isn't a difficult job as such.

As others have said, I've had two DMFs fail (both genuine Toyota, the second one 'improved' version, at 60k mi, and then at another 24k mi. Not good.

I fitted an ADL-Blueprint SMF kit (replacement flywheel + 3-part clutch), and have had absolutely no problems with it after several years of use. Clutch control is actually far better, particularly on hill-starts. Borg+Beck are also offering a similar kit now. Both these brands can be trusted. Avoid any unknown or cheap kit. Both Blueprint and B+B kits widely available through motor factors.

Workshop fitting time is 1 day (about 5 hours). Toyota workshops will not want to know about SMF etc., so just go trusted independent.

Chris

• Like 2

Here's a wee canna worms to mill over, and I am no accountant, but.......

The vehicles which are now coming up for flywheel replacement are usually both highish mileage ones, and/or beginning to age somewhat. Is it not sense therefore to opt for the cheaper investment of a GOOD Single Mass Flywheel and more than likely have your investment pay for itself, rather than fit another expensive DMF, only to have it fail prematurely.......again......which I was shocked to learn (Tech 01) is not uncommon in the least......?

Do not accuse me of Rav agism either........wife's 2004 very dear to me. (Petrol.......flywheel safe......please God, eh......?)

Big Kev.......not trained by Jamesy Firemac......lol.

Perhaps not, BK, but your logic is sound or should I say "canny"?

• Like 1

Well I have done this job on my daughters Rav4 diesel and it was done outside in my parking area at the house without a ramp and just on axle stands and trolly jack, and replace the flywhhel with the solid LUK kit and the Rav has been fine since with on change to driving or towing.

When I worked for Renault this became a weekly job on the Laguna these flywheels failed too offten, but Renault would not allow them to be replaced with a solid flywheel and as a result of them being fitted to the Traffic and Master van range the fail rate went up.

The price I was quoted from Toyota at the time was just over a thousand pounds, but apart from it taking me two days of my time the parts and oils cost me three hunderd and seventy five pounds.

Doug.

• Like 2

It took me a whole day with the help of a capable and very strong son of Wollaston (to whom the car belonged).

The garage that did it in 4 hours for £275 should be on Record Breakers. I'd let them do it every time as I was gubbered after mauling that box back in.

Thanks for the info folks, got the price down to £398 all in, delivered, for a LUK Clutch and DMF. From "Car Parts 4 Less", are they Euro Car Parts sister company as mentioned?

Main thing that is putting me off a solid conversion is that eventhough I do a high mileage, it is far from long journeys, completely the opposite to be honest, Multidrop courier deliveries, so all stop start and may not get further than third gear in an hour. Constant blisters on left foot is an occupational hazard, so just think what the clutch has to go through. :wacko:

Did get a price today from an independent garage, £30 + VAT per hour, and said that the book said 9 hours, but said that he normally finds that the job can be done in less time, so said I was probably looking at 6 to 7 hours.

I will definatelly not try and do it myself though. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That's a very good price! Did you get the discounts that they offer if you spend over £100?...

Yer... They are the same company! Even the site looks the same! But as you see it's far cheaper. If you need to return items they go back to ECP if I remember correctly...😑

That's a very good price! Did you get the discounts that they offer if you spend over £100?...

Yer... They are the same company! Even the site looks the same! But as you see it's far cheaper. If you need to return items they go back to ECP if I remember correctly...

Yes, got the discount, and thank you for making me aware of them. :thumbsup:

Bit of a strange set up though, having a sister company that is cheaper?

Have you used them before?

Yer... They are the same company! Even the site looks the same! But as you see it's far cheaper. If you need to return items they go back to ECP if I remember correctly...

Yes, got the discount, and thank you for making me aware of them. :thumbsup:

Bit of a strange set up though, having a sister company that is cheaper?

Have you used them before?

It's not unusual, Tony. Lots of big-name companies do this so that they pick up business at both ends of the market without jeopardising their original perceived quality or reputation. Think Seiko watches who for years have been fitting their workings into Pulsar watches at much lower prices.

You're very welcome mate👍

Yer... I've used they loads of times to buy filters for our Grand Voyager🚐 bought all my filters for the Toyota off eBay as I got them for a song and all genuine Mr T.

I needed a compressor for the GV! They had brand new ones on there for £176- what a bargin as they are well over £500 elsewhere! But when I went back on the site, they'd all sold out!😢

Well, the Rav has just been loaded onto a flatbed and off to the garage.

Will keep you folks posted of the outcome, total costs, etc.

Thank you for your help, very glad to find this forum. :thumbsup: