Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Cruise Control To Gen2 T3

Carltona123

Hi guys

I have Prius envy. Badly want CC on my 2007 T3. It would make my life complete.

Doing loads of motorway miles now and think it would be worthwhile.

It can be done.

Has anyone done it? How?

How much does it cost?
is it worth it?

Has anyone done it? How? Yes - got dealer to fit (didn't want to mess about with airbag!) :no:

How much does it cost? about £200 in Feb 2007

is it worth it? Oh YES !!! :clap:

Also had it done on 2 Gen 1 Prius (was I mad when I found out I'd been driving around with a fully working CC system just minus the switches for 10,000 miles! :yucky: ) and my current Gen 3 T3 Prius (wanted sensible wheels!)

For Gen 2 T3 these are the part numbers (as at Feb 07):

1 COVER STEERING T45186-47010-C0

4 SCREW, STRG WHE T45188-60010

1 SWITCH,B/LIGHT T84340-47020

1 SWITCHA/DRIVE T84632-34011

1 SWITCH/CONTROL T84633-48020

2 SCREW T90159-50199

NB - it's cheaper on the latest models because they have the right brake light switch - Gen 1/2 Prius need that replaced with one with an extra terminal for the cruise control circuit

Cheers Dave that's really helpful.

I've faxed my local dealer the parts list and will phone later to see how much it will be to fit them.

As far as I can make out it just needs the column stalk to be fitted and a new brake switch - like you mentioned, all the other electronics are already in place.

I read one account of a guy that did his in 20 minutes - he reckons. I'm sure it would take longer than that, though I suppose if you know what you're doing...

I didn't want to muck about with the airbag either, and it sounds tricky getting the new brake switch in place.

Spoke to dealer.

Parts = £120+ VAT but they won't fit because they don't have the timings for the jobs.

:(

It never ceases to amaze me how unhelpful some dealers seem to be - Dingles of Norwich on the other hand, have really impressed me for over 11 years.

You could try giving Darren in the Service Dept. a ring on 01603 480000, and I'm sure he would give you an idea (they charged £74+vat labour in 2002).

If you can get to Norwich, I'm sure they'd look after you - I used to get there at 7.30, have a lovely buffet breakfast in the Premier Inn next door, and they'd normally be finished when I was!

Regards PeteB (who's Dave?)

LOL! Sorry Pete I was getting mixed up a guy called Dave on Priuschat who did the job himself. My apologies!

I like my local dealer but the person I spoke to was, well, not that interested in the project - she was the parts lady. I don't think she loves cruise control as much as I do. Or cars at all for that matter. I got chatting to one of the technicians a few weeks back who really impressed me - I might pop in and see if I can collar him. I mean let's face it, brake light switches and column stalks must break from time to time so why can't they fit them? And for that matter why sell the parts at all if they can't fit them?!

On paper it looks like an easy-ish job but it would be just like me to b***r it up. Your guy in Norwich sounds great, as does the breakfast thing, but I'm in Solihull!

There's a dealer in Birmingham - I think I'll try there as well - but this time I'll go in person.

On the subject - does it improve motorway mpg, do you think? What about big hills - does the Gen cope ok or do you sometimes have to turn it off?

Spoke to dealer.

Parts = £120+ VAT but they won't fit because they don't have the timings for the jobs.

:(

Don't know which part of the world you are from but I recently had the same work carried out on our Lexus CT (AKA tarted up prius) by Hatfield Lexus who also didn't have a listed time for the job but who did it just the same in order to expand their own level of experience and to offer a better service to future clients.

Hi Geof - thanks for the reply. Well this is the sort of service I would expect and the more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems that their highly trained technicians either can't fit these parts or can't be bothered! It's pathetic really. I think I'll go and seek a personal audience with the service dept and also make some other enquiries. I'm also thinking how I can persuade my wife that she'd like to go to Norwich! Joking aside Dingles and your guys seem like the sort of people I should be dealing with - I'm assuming your guys just do Lexus tho?

Hi Geof - thanks for the reply. ... I'm also thinking how I can persuade my wife that she'd like to go to Norwich! Joking ...

Apart from a good local breakfast :chef: there's a shopping centre, castle, cathedral and John Lewis.

Pete - can I ask how the Gen 2 copes with motorway hills when using cruise control?

I know it's reasonably flat over in your neck of the woods but there are some fairly steep ascents on my usual M40 runs to London and M1/A1(M) up to Newcastle.

If I had the CC set to, say, 73 mph, would I need to be switching it off or turning it down on the big hills?

I've heard how nice Norwich is, by the way. We have rels over that way.

Pete - can I ask how the Gen 2 copes with motorway hills when using cruise control?

Sorry, I meant to comment on that.

On the level and going up hills all three generations were fairly similar, and cope really well. I used to live in Luton and commuted to Bishop's Stortford for a few years, then West London. I've done a couple of trips to Scotland and Isle of Man, which have some serious hills.

If you come to a hill that steepens quickly, you might lose 1 or 2 mph briefly, but it quickly recovers. This is because it increases the power gradually, rather than a lack of power.

In Scotland my Gen 1 had no trouble maintaining 60 up a 20% (1 in 5) hill that lasted 6 miles, without reducing the HV Battery charge. Going down the other side caused the HV to max out. Reaching the bottom was interesting as you could accelerate really hard without the engine starting as it desperately tried to make some room in the Battery (there's no EV button on the Gen 1). I'm sure it would go up at 80 or 90 if there were no speed limits. The more powerful Gen 2 would have no trouble either.

Going downhill is different in each version - the Gen 1 allows B mode to be selected whilst in cruise control, so it could provide extra control in hilly areas. The thing which really caught out Gen 1 and 2 was a series of undulating hills - due to the gradual throttle adjustment, the power would just be increased at you topped the first crest, and still be decreasing at the bottom and so on, so it could go up to 10 mph adrift if left unchecked. I had such a set of hills on my journey to Bishop's Stortford, on the A10 south of Buntingford. Using B mode kept it under control, at the expense of a little loss of regeneration.

The Gen 2 switches off cruise contrail whilst B mode is selected, so you can't use that, just have to accept the over speed or use the brakes (or B mode on its own). On Gen 1 & 2, though, B Mode gave more aggressive retarding effect, but put less energy into the HV Battery - I don't know if that's also true of the Gen 3.

The Gen 3 however, gives much better retarding effect down hills than the previous 2, so it's only on very steep hills extra manual braking is needed. From what I can see, it's using regenerative braking to do this, rather than wasteful engine compression of B mode.

The Gen 3 T-Sprit Prius with Technology Pack adds a really interesting radar control to the cruise control, and this will also apply the service brakes if needed either due to hills, or to slow down for an obstruction. Some Lexus models have this too (sweet little brake lights are shown on the icon on the dash when it brakes - attention to detail or what?).

The only annoying thing on the Gen 1 and 2 cruise control was that it 'forgets' the last set speed if you go below the minimum operating speed. This means, for example, on a road like the A11 with lots of 70 mph dual carriageways interrupted with roundabouts, if you let the speed drop below 26 mph on a roundabout, hitting 'resume' as you exit doesn't do anything, even once above the 26 mph minimum. That's fixed in the Gen 3 (and was never a problem in Honda Hybrids!).

I think it helps mpg most of the time, but not going up steep hills, as it will maintain speed regardless. I often turn it off on hills if I want to ease back a bit.

Regards, PeteB

Pete - thanks for that exposition of CC in its various guises!

It was really interesting.

I'm definitley going to have another go at my dealer, but this time in person and I'll ask to speak to the head of the service dept. and not the parts lady.

M

Carltona 123,

Have you checked that CC is an 'official' option on the Prius T3 ? The reason I ask is that our local Toyota Dealer has declined to fit CC on our Auris HSD T4 because it is not an 'official' option despite the fact that the car is - as far as CC system requirements are concerned - exactly the same as the T Spirit which does have CC as an option (incidentally there's a long thread on the Auris forum detailing how to retrofit CC oneself which suggests that the airbag isn't really an issue if one follows instructions and many members have done the work themselves without incident). I have concluded that Toyota's marketing strategy is behind this: they want people to go for the more expensive T Spirit in order to get such 'goodies'. For us, it wasn't actually a question of cost: we wanted the better ride quality you get with the T4 and that was more important than CC. However my dealer won't even provide the parts other than for vehicles with a T Spirit VIN and which they are to fit themselves. So I'm stymied at the moment !

Carltona 123,

Have you checked that CC is an 'official' option on the Prius T3 ?

Please see above - it really doesn't matter. You car already has a fully installed (right down to the bulbs in the warning lights) cruise control with the sole exception of the switch to make it work.

All you need is a less of a jobsworth dealer and just over £100 for the switch, a few tiny trim bits for the steering wheel cowling, 4 screws and a bit of labour!

I called in to my dealer on Saturday am but the top guy wasn't in. They said they'd give me a call today - needless to say I'm still waiting.

In the meantime I've watched some very useful movies of Youtube which show how to remove the necessary trim. It looks like it comes off really easily - if you have the right tools. I've ordered a set from eBay for £3.99.

• 2 weeks later...

So I waited a few weeks and my "top guy" at local Toyota didn't bother to get back to me.

Then I had the idea that maybe I'd fit the stalk myself (seemed to be one available locally from a breakers for £35) and ask another Toyota dealer to fit the brake switch - and he agreed. Quoted 30 mins labour - total £54 inc VAT plus £16 for the part.

But then the breakers let me down. I was going to abandon the plan but then I happened to see an advert on eBay...

It was the control stalk for a 2007 Lexus IS - but looked identical to the Prius. I checked the part number for a Lexus IS stalk and it's identical to the Toyota part number! Anyway for £17 delivered I thought it was worth a go - should be here later in the week.

Had a go at accessing the brake switch and I think I might have a go at that myself as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's finally sorted and working!

The stalk off the Lexus arrived and it was a piece of cake installing it.

The brake switch was a slightly different matter. I got all the trim off so I could access it and was just about to attack when reason got the better of me and I decided to be patient and let Mr T do it instead. So fair play he did (£50) and now I've just got back from my test drive.

It works!

Now can't wait for a trip up to Doncaster at the weekend. How sad is that!

Thanks to all those who posted their thoughts and encouragement.

Carltona123, Glad you got it sorted. But, excuse my ignorance: why was the brake switch an issue ?. I was under the impression that all that was needed was the CC stalk and the CC cable that connects it to the appropriate port behind the steering wheel/airbag boss, with that port having all the necessary connections into the system electrics etc.

Hi D

I'm sure you know that when using cruise control, pressing the brake cancels it - the brake switch sends the appropriate signal. Only trouble is that on Gen 1 and 2 the brake switch wasn't thus equipped so it has to be swopped for one that will do the job.

I believe Gen 3 have the correct switch - even if not actually equipped with cruise control. In such a case installing CC would be an absolute cinch - and dead cheap if you use my eBay bloke in Lithuania.

Thanks, Carltona123. While I am aware that pressing the footbrake cancels CC, I hadn't thought that there might not be the necessary connection on a car (such as my Auris HSD T4) that doesn't come with CC installed or as an 'official' option but does have the necessary port behind the steering wheel boss and is otherwise 'identical under the skin' (confirmed by HJ) to higher spec cars (such as the Auris T-Spirit) which do come with CC. I didn't notice any mention of this issue on any of the other posts on this topic (and I think I've read them all !) so many thanks for highlighting something else I should check out before taking the plunge !

Hi D

Well if a new Gen 3 Prius is suitably equipped then I'd be very surprised if your Auris isn't, in which case it will be a total piece of cake fitting it.

A new switch is about £80 - but I note the guy in Lithuania has a few still at £17 delivered.

Fitting is very easy - just make sure you have a decent T30 tool to loosen the airbag retaining screws.

I just wish I'd thought of doing this years ago.

Has anyone done it? How? Yes - got dealer to fit (didn't want to mess about with airbag!) :no:

How much does it cost? about £200 in Feb 2007

is it worth it? Oh YES !!! :clap:

Also had it done on 2 Gen 1 Prius (was I mad when I found out I'd been driving around with a fully working CC system just minus the switches for 10,000 miles! :yucky: ) and my current Gen 3 T3 Prius (wanted sensible wheels!)

For Gen 2 T3 these are the part numbers (as at Feb 07):

1 COVER STEERING T45186-47010-C0

4 SCREW, STRG WHE T45188-60010

1 SWITCH,B/LIGHT T84340-47020

1 SWITCHA/DRIVE T84632-34011

1 SWITCH/CONTROL T84633-48020

2 SCREW T90159-50199

NB - it's cheaper on the latest models because they have the right brake light switch - Gen 1/2 Prius need that replaced with one with an extra terminal for the cruise control circuit

Thanks, Carltona123. While I am aware that pressing the footbrake cancels CC, I hadn't thought that there might not be the necessary connection on a car (such as my Auris HSD T4) that doesn't come with CC installed or as an 'official' option but does have the necessary port behind the steering wheel boss and is otherwise 'identical under the skin' (confirmed by HJ) to higher spec cars (such as the Auris T-Spirit) which do come with CC. I didn't notice any mention of this issue on any of the other posts on this topic (and I think I've read them all !) so many thanks for highlighting something else I should check out before taking the plunge !

Hi D

Well if a new Gen 3 Prius is suitably equipped then I'd be very surprised if your Auris isn't, in which case it will be a total piece of cake fitting it.

A new switch is about £80 - but I note the guy in Lithuania has a few still at £17 delivered.

Fitting is very easy - just make sure you have a decent T30 tool to loosen the airbag retaining screws.

I just wish I'd thought of doing this years ago.

Hi all

I refer you to my post above - the Gen 1 Prius not only needed a replacement brake light switch but also a new steering wheel - identical in every way except for the cut outs and screen holes to mount the switch - this made the job £240 more expensive than it needed to be.

At least the Gen 2 just needed both switches, the steering wheel had a blanking plate where the CC stalk went.

When the Gen 3 Prius came out I was told by someone who'd worked the the Burnaston factory that the then new Auris Hybrid DID have the right brake switch, and when I got my T3 Prius the dealer confirm it, so I only needed the master switch, some screws and a few minor trim parts to make it look tidy (whole job just over £140 at my dealer). It seems likely that all Toyota Hybrids now have the right switch.

To me it seemed madness to go to the expense of having two similar parts just so that some countries or models could be denied the CC! (no Gen 1s had CC as standard in the UK, although some markets it was standard.

Thanks, Pete: On reflection, I realise I actually read all the 40-odd pages of posts on the Auris Forum dealing with this subject but have not paid as much attention to those on this Forum as it concerns Prius variants, so I missed yours & only picked up on the potential significance of the brake light issue when I saw Carltona123's thread.

What a revelation!

Had a little 95 mile run up the A42/M42/M1/18 to Doncaster at the weekend.

Set CC at a real 60 mph on the way up (no hurry)and the mpg was in the high 60's!

Got more of a move on coming home - set it at a real 70 mph and still got an indicated 54 mpg - with a full load, lights and wipers on etc.

I think the mpg is better using CC than not. Progress certainly better.

This planetary gearbox seems so better suited to CC than sequential systems - so smooth accelerating!

A relatively easy mod that I would definitely recommend.

What a revelation!

I think the mpg is better using CC than not. Progress certainly better.

This planetary gearbox seems so better suited to CC than sequential systems - so smooth accelerating!

A relatively easy mod that I would definitely recommend.

Welcome to the club. I think it's certainly better than most drivers on fairly level terrain, but it tends to maintain speed above all else on steep hills, so I sometimes flick the brake pedal to temporarily disable it and manage steep ascents myself, then flick 'resume' at the top. Also flicking resume after a roundabout to take it back, for example, to 70 from about 26 will see full throttle for part of the acceleration run.

I do a 120 mile each way trip at least once a month and often set it to 60-65 indicated with just (27st) me in the car and see 72-3 mpg on the computer (69-70 in reality).

CC in the Gen 3 (and presumably Yaris/Auris Hybrids) has two real benefits over the Gen 1/2: resume still works after speed has fallen below 26 mph and regen braking is more pronounced going down hill so only steep hills require use of bakes.

I've found it useful on Suffolk/Norfolk twisty lanes to set CC to 30 so that lifting off the accelerator when approaching bends gives enhanced 'engine' braking for more control.

Only 2 things would make me even happier: CC working below 20 mph - we have many quite lengthy 20 zones and it's a pain to maintain without frequent glances at the HUD (which does make it easier), and adaptive (radar controlled) CC - I've driven some Lexus Hybrids with this and it's brilliant (once you learn to trust the car braking for you!).