Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1Kd-Ftv White/grey Smoke

alexi82

Hi Guys

Have been having this issue and wanted to run it by this forum to see if anyone else has had it.

have the hilux with the 3.0 Litre turbo D4D engine, 1kd-ftv.

White/Grey smoke on start regardless of car temp...worse in morning but if sitting there for half an hour will also smoke.

Mechanic pulled off intercooler, oil all through the turbo etc, turbo needed bearings, seals done. So did that. Still smoke...argh.

Had a closer look, number one injector buggared. Replaced all injectors. Got car back yesterday yet still smoking!

When i start it i notice that the times it smokes it has a little shudder after ignition like it's trying to 'catch up'. If it doesn't do that it doesn't smoke.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Alexi

u reckon that simple? bearing in mind it still happens when the car is warm. just after it has been sitting for say 20 minutes...

u reckon that simple? bearing in mind it still happens when the car is warm. just after it has been sitting for say 20 minutes...

Are you a betting man ? it would`ve been my first check

`The engine relies on the glow plugs to generate heat to help with the combustion cycle. Some engines only use the glow plugs when cold but others will allow the glow plugs to work when the ECU (vehicle’s computer) needs them to be on to help with combustion.`

The symptom you describe can also be the early signs of a cracked piston, this causes poor combustion and if left unchecked could cause serious engine failure. The cracked piston is caused by one or more faulty injectors.

To confirm this you will need a compression test carried out, it is a known fault which if confirmed Toyota have extended their warranty to cover, the age limit is 7 years the mileage limit I forget. There is one condition of the warranty extension though, if you have a full Toyota service history Toyota will pay 100% parts and labour if you have a full history but not all with Toyota they will cover 100% parts only ( must repaired by Toyota ) if you have an incomplete history then no assistnce will be given.

The repair is new modified injectors, modified ECU software and new modified Pistons, plus replacement of block and head if damaged

Interesting.

i'll have to call them and ask.

the car drives perfect otherwise which leads me to think it isn't such a serious issue?

• 8 years later...

I have a Toyota hilux truck (2007) 3.0 d4d 1kf engine so while I was driving I noticed grey smoke coming out of the exhaust and minutes later there was a knocking sound coming from the front so I have tested  both the injectors and the pump and they are all working fine what can I proceed to look at that might cause the mentioned symptoms and now it's not even starting.

Pleas assist 

Carry out a cylinder compression check

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links