Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Initial Feelings On My New Car!

Seth1

My first comments on my new Avensis.

Picked it up on Thursday Evening (it was only 3:00pm), the handover was chaotic, I was told that they had found something wrong with the vehicle, made it sound like it was the end of the world...it was a punctured tyre...they said do you want to come back tomorrow!.....I said no...if its punctured then repair it, if it needs a new tyre then get one, its not rocket science!.... :disgust:
In the end it was repaired, but, my faith in the garage was diminishing fast!
Drove the car home...was loving the smoothness of the drive....looked at the fuel gauge and noticed I was running on fumes....I then remembered the itemised bill for the car...£20 for petrol was included...you can guess how I was feeling about that!
Got home and realised that non of the interior lights were working....looked at the drivers manual, nothing obvious there!.....
Because we were travelling for a long weekend to Scotland I phoned the Garage on the Friday morning and spoke to the sales guy....he said he would get someone from Technical to phone me...guess what, its Tuesday morning and no call!...I have booked it in for this Friday...the Service man I spoke too at least sounds upbeat and enthusiastic ... we shall see...
Now to the good bit:...what a brilliant Engine Gearbox combo...I have done 600 miles or so in a short period of time, 70 mph indicated @ just over 2k revs...brilliant...up to 80 and its still only about 2400 rpm...indicated fuel = 45mpg.
The Sat Nav and bluetooth works well...very comfortable after a long journey...so I am over the moon...
Its a shame the dealer service so far is poor!
  • Like 1

Hi Seth,

I like your detailed feedback.

The car must be quiet at motorway speeds. I read in Honest John that the manual version is geared at 28 mph per 1000 rpm. Very tall for a 1.8 petrol. The engine will not be stressed and is using diesel like revs to get close to diesel like economy, without the diesel issues.

I am now jealous :crybaby:

I will say this. Since the Carina, Toyota have made very economical cars in the medium class and this has just re-enforced that.

The only thing the petrol is missing is the torque of the diesel but I would not care.

Sad the dealership performance is poor. If there was another dealership who gives better service, go there instead.

If the dealership or Toyota ask for feedback, make sure they know how you feel!

Konrad

Good to hear you are enjoying the car, shame about the dealer. Fortunately have been very impressed with my local dealer so far. May be worth travelling a bit to find a good dealer for servicing, mine always offers a courtesy car or, if preferred, a lift into the town centre so we usually combine service time with a shopping trip even though it's only about 10 miles away.

Did you check out the gear operation i.e. does it revert to auto after a while if you use the manual option?

Considering the size of the car and it's an auto I have been well pleased with my fuel consumption too. Stays within 1 mpgeither way of 38 however I drive. Did manage to get it a tad over 40 on a long motorway trip in France earlier this year.

Enjoy.

Good to hear you are enjoying the car, shame about the dealer. Fortunately have been very impressed with my local dealer so far. May be worth travelling a bit to find a good dealer for servicing, mine always offers a courtesy car or, if preferred, a lift into the town centre so we usually combine service time with a shopping trip even though it's only about 10 miles away.

Did you check out the gear operation i.e. does it revert to auto after a while if you use the manual option?

Considering the size of the car and it's an auto I have been well pleased with my fuel consumption too. Stays within 1 mpgeither way of 38 however I drive. Did manage to get it a tad over 40 on a long motorway trip in France earlier this year.

Enjoy.

Mike - I was so impressed with the CVT gearing that I left it to do its own thing as suggested...I did however flick to manual mode (Showing my Wife its operation) - it indicated that it was in 7th...the revs went up to about 2700 rpm which showed that in CVT operation its best....(an 8th gear if you will)

Brilliant!
I Shall be taking it to another Dealer...its nearer anyway!

Hi Seth,

I like your detailed feedback.

The car must be quiet at motorway speeds. I read in Honest John that the manual version is geared at 28 mph per 1000 rpm. Very tall for a 1.8 petrol. The engine will not be stressed and is using diesel like revs to get close to diesel like economy, without the diesel issues.

I am now jealous :crybaby:

I will say this. Since the Carina, Toyota have made very economical cars in the medium class and this has just re-enforced that.

The only thing the petrol is missing is the torque of the diesel but I would not care.

Sad the dealership performance is poor. If there was another dealership who gives better service, go there instead.

If the dealership or Toyota ask for feedback, make sure they know how you feel!

Konrad

Konrad...I shall be having it serviced by another Dealer....I somehow feel I wont get a questionnaire / feedback form...we shall see!

Hi Seth , regarding your interior lights not working

In the engine bay there is a large fuse box between the air box and the LH wing. Take the lid off and on the LHS column of fuses 4th from the back there should be a large white/creamy coloured short pin. This is removed at the factory and placed in the middle of the fuse box next to the fuse picker. This is removed to prevent the Battery running flat if a door is not shut properly at the dispatch yards. It is possible that it may have not been put back into its position .I think if you look on the inside of the lid it is called a DCC SHORT.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

In the engine bay there is a large fuse box between the air box and the LH wing. Take the lid off and on the LHS column of fuses 4th from the back there should be a large white/creamy coloured short pin. This is removed at the factory and placed in the middle of the fuse box next to the fuse picker. This is removed to prevent the battery running flat if a door is not shut properly at the dispatch yards. It is possible that it may have not been put back into its position .I think if you look on the inside of the lid it is called a DCC SHORT.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Steve...thanks for the information...I will have a look tomorrow lunchtime and see whats what...

Again... many thanks!

post-94440-0-81951800-1384333743_thumb.j

In the engine bay there is a large fuse box between the air box and the LH wing. Take the lid off and on the LHS column of fuses 4th from the back there should be a large white/creamy coloured short pin. This is removed at the factory and placed in the middle of the fuse box next to the fuse picker. This is removed to prevent the battery running flat if a door is not shut properly at the dispatch yards. It is possible that it may have not been put back into its position .I think if you look on the inside of the lid it is called a DCC SHORT.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Steve...thanks for the information...I will have a look tomorrow lunchtime and see whats what...

Again... many thanks!

I have looked at the fuse box - all looks ok...see picture

post-94440-0-81951800-1384333743_thumb.j

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Again... many thanks!

I have looked at the fuse box - all looks ok...see picture