Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Windscreen Demister

saul1

Hi to All,

Would like some help regarding the rear demister. The rear windscreen needed demisting today.I pressed the rear demist switch on, it lights up and then nothing happens.

Is there any other setting/ or something else that I have missed or not done? the front windscreen demists fine.

Thanks

Saul.

The HRW elements on the inside of the rear window can be damaged if anything comes into contact with them - have a careful look at the elements (the horizontal elements and the vertical elements at the sides of the window) to see whether there are any scratches/gaps in the elements. You could also have a look here for tips: http://www.glasslinks.com/tips/defrost1.htm

You used to be able to get electro conductive paint from automotive accessory shops to repair elements.

The HRW elements on the inside of the rear window can be damaged if anything comes into contact with them - have a careful look at the elements (the horizontal elements and the vertical elements at the sides of the window) to see whether there are any scratches/gaps in the elements. You could also have a look here for tips: http://www.glasslinks.com/tips/defrost1.htm

You used to be able to get electro conductive paint from automotive accessory shops to repair elements.

I had looked at these already, and as far as I can see they are all fine. I tried again this time with the normal heater on as well, and this time it worked. Now don't know if the demister kicked in or the heater itself blowing in that direction.

Saul.

The rear demister was very weak on my previous 2010 Prius T-Spirit, are you sure nothing happens, give it time.

Hi to All,

Would like some help regarding the rear demister. The rear windscreen needed demisting today.I pressed the rear demist switch on, it lights up and then nothing happens.

Is there any other setting/ or something else that I have missed or not done? the front windscreen demists fine.

Thanks

Saul.

The quick answer is No.

The rear demister was very weak on my previous 2010 Prius T-Spirit, are you sure nothing happens, give it time.

I agree with this. Also IIRC it only works on the top half of the rear sceen.

It was on for approx 20 mins and nothing happened.

Have you checked with a voltmeter to see if power is reaching the demisting matrix?

You can also check the resistance of the matrix to see if it is open circuit.

As has been said, the gen3 rear demister is feeble.

The heated mirrors on the other hand, work a treat.

Hi All,

I tried again this morning, this time also hitting the auto button and it worked!? Let's see what happens tonight.

Thanks to all.

Auto brings on the A/C doesn't it? Which is probably why it demisted???

Kingo :thumbsup:

Auto brings on the A/C doesn't it? Which is probably why it demisted???

As per panel the rear screen and auto button were the only ones lit up. Although the car wasnt that bad this morning either.

Do you think it's worth popping in to a local dealer to have a once over?

Saul.

Yes

Would this be covered under the cars 5 year warranty?

Saul.

It needs a very quick diagnosis to find out what is wrong, get it booked in, tell them it is not working, and let them find out. It could be a number of things, only your dealer would be able to tell you the problem and if it is covered

It needs a very quick diagnosis to find out what is wrong, get it booked in, tell them it is not working, and let them find out. It could be a number of things, only your dealer would be able to tell you the problem and if it is covered

Just contacted my local dealer, and they said it will cost £132 just to do the diagnosis. :disgust: . I only bought the car on Saturday.!

Saul.

In best possible condesecending voice possible, tell them not to be so silly, you will not be paying anything, or if there is a bill, send it to the sales department. You could also remind the person you spoke to that under the Sale of Goods act you are entitled to have a car free from inherrant faults and must conform to contract. Ask them if they have any comment on that as you wish to record their answer! I am sure said moron will have it checked out without further ado!!

EDIT: Before saying that I take it you bought it off the said dealer??? :lol:

It was on for approx 20 mins and nothing happened.

I think you left it too long, it probably fogged up again, it turns itself off after 15 minutes.