Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hg Issue 1Ad And 2Ad Engines

JAPCAR

From reading the service bulleting, toyota seem to be saying it's the consumption of oil that causes the issues with these engines. So to answer your question if it's not consuming oil then it should not suffer the carbon build up that leads to head gasket failure. On the other hand toyota don't give out engine numbers that are affected only build dates for vehicles fitted with ad engines, the bulleting does not say if all engines will suffer this problem or a certain amount. You could own a vehicle in the time frame that toyota lists and not suffer any problems or you could be unluckily like a lot of us on here are and suffer the oil consumption issue and head gasket problems. It's all down to chance if you want to avoid the problem by a vehicle outside the listed build dates. If your looking at a vehicle in the time frame ask if it's had the engine replaced if not check it's got full history and has long has the vehicle is inside the extended warranty and you are unluckily enough to suffer the problem toyota should replace the engine free of charge.

• Like 1

My 1AD Avensis, 06 plate, 81K on the clock is in the "in danger " list and obviously is out of extended warranty at the moment.

I can't spot oil consumption for one year and I ask if is possible next years to happen excess oil consumption or it's still down to chance...

• 2 years later...

3 years later and my son's '07 Auris D4D 1AD has started sucking up oil at a litre to a litre and a half every 500 miles at a little over 93k miles on the OD. It also smokes like an old tugboat at hard exceleration.  TSB blames "poor manufactured piston rings" and Toyota won't replace just the rings, but the whole engine for between £6 and £7,000 back on the road. Allegedly there was a "good will extended warrenty" on these loose 1AD-FTV engines, but it lasted only for 7 years from 2007. Now looking for a remanufactured engine that my well tested and approved mechanic will change out with.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links