Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis D4D Diesel Losing Power

Toyota avensis d4d 55

hello to all ,i have got toyota avensis 2005 ,everything was fine and i was quiet happy with the car but since last month i got this annoying problem ,which is driving me crazy, it looses power when it warms up ,when it cold it runs fine ,but when warms up wont go more then 40mph ,I have checked it with lots of mechanic ,few couldn't fine it ,took it to toyota dealer ,no error code was shown ,they charged me 210 pounds just for checking ,they changed the fuel filter ,but no different ,they suggested my diesel fuel injector pump got a problem ,so I replaced it by my local mechanic which costed me 500 pounds ,but nothing changed :(,some suggested me I need to clean Egr valve ,so I did it ,no difference ,I put injector cleaner in my tank ,that didn't help either ,did anyone had same problem ??

Any idea ???any suggestion ,

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply ,no I haven't used bg244 ,

I used cata clean injector cleaner ,that was the powerful they suggested me .

U think I should use bg244 ??

SCV maybe then? What cleaner did you run? BG244?

Thanks for the reply ,no I haven't used bg244 ,

I used cata clean injector cleaner ,that was the powerful they suggested me .

U think I should use bg244 ??

I would use BG244 in a tank full of Shell V-Power juice! Look on the powerenhancer web site for some other products they offer from the Archoil range that might suit you better. I should have a discount code somewhere...

I would use BG244 in a tank full of Shell V-Power juice! Look on the powerenhancer web site for some other products they offer from the Archoil range that might suit you better. I should have a discount code somewhere...G

BG244 ,i would get that a try ,coz nothing helped so far :(,

where can i get the discount code ??????

many thankss

Might work

Might work

Hey 'I have tried Shell v power diesel with bg244 ,drive it about 40 miles ,nothing has changed :(,

I have noticed my clutch slipping abit ,do u think clutch can be cause as well for loosing power after when engine is warmed ??

Coz my car wen it's cold it would run fine upto 4 miles ,after that max will hit 40mph

Many thankss

I am puzzled by your first post. You have taken the car to mechanics and your car is still running badly after being relieved of £710!

Didn't any of the mechanics you saw drive the car?

I could make a guess (which it is) and say MAF (mass air flow) sensor, plus the worn clutch. The clutch is probably worn and when the car/clutch is up to temperature, the clutch begins slipping. The MAF is doing the same. There is no power and is struggles to go faster.

You have a dual mass flywheel (DMF) and unless it is in exceptional condition, it will have to be changed along with the clutch components. Advisable and extra expense. The money you spent on the diesel pump could have gone towards the clutch repair.

The MAF can be cleaned but it may need to be changed.

I hope you get a result.

Konrad

I am puzzled by your first post. You have taken the car to mechanics and your car is still running badly after being relieved of £710!

Didn't any of the mechanics you saw drive the car?

I could make a guess (which it is) and say MAF (mass air flow) sensor, plus the worn clutch. The clutch is probably worn and when the car/clutch is up to temperature, the clutch begins slipping. The MAF is doing the same. There is no power and is struggles to go faster.

You have a dual mass flywheel (DMF) and unless it is in exceptional condition, it will have to be changed along with the clutch components. Advisable and extra expense. The money you spent on the diesel pump could have gone towards the clutch repair.

The MAF can be cleaned but it may need to be changed.

I hope you get a result.

Konrad

Thanks for the post ,

When I first had a problem ,I took it to couple of local mechanic ,they couldn't find nothing wrong ,booked it with toyota dealer , they charged me for diagnostics 210 pounds ,stating that higher pressure fuel injector pump got a problem ,and the clutch need to be replace ,but it loses power coz of pump ,they quoted me 1800 for fuel pump and 1600 for clutch ,making about 3000+ ,but the whole car worths 2500 pounds ,so I took it to my local garage n fix it cheaper ,but it wasn't fuel injector ,coz nothing changed ,I contacted toyota again ,n told them that diagnose wasn't correct ,so I took it back there ,hopefully they won't charge again for giagnostic ,

It's been couple of days ,I am waiting to hear from them ,but i think still they don't know wat the problem is ,

Fingers crossed

Ill update when I get it hopefully in day ,as I have no place to go ,unless i scrap it :(

Many thanks

I did a quick search on the forum by entering MAF and diesel, and found some relevant posts.

The common problem is the lack of power and no EML codes! There is mention of black smoke. Now on a couple of the posts, the MAF was disconnected and the engine ran normally. This was done to confirm the issue. Diagnostics hardly picked up any faults.

The MAF can be cleaned using carb cleaner or similar, but if that does not work, then it must be replaced. I don't know the cost but it should be way cheaper than the diesel pump.

Give it a try and see what happens. Somebody on the forum may be able to tell you where the MAF is located and what plug to disconnect. Your mechanic may know if you mention this.

Other members may confirm what I have just said or add another suggestion.

Don't give up. The most simple fix can cure a big problem.

Konrad

I did a quick search on the forum by entering MAF and diesel, and found some relevant posts.

The common problem is the lack of power and no EML codes! There is mention of black smoke. Now on a couple of the posts, the MAF was disconnected and the engine ran normally. This was done to confirm the issue. Diagnostics hardly picked up any faults.

The MAF can be cleaned using carb cleaner or similar, but if that does not work, then it must be replaced. I don't know the cost but it should be way cheaper than the diesel pump.

Give it a try and see what happens. Somebody on the forum may be able to tell you where the MAF is located and what plug to disconnect. Your mechanic may know if you mention this.

Other members may confirm what I have just said or add another suggestion.

Don't give up. The most simple fix can cure a big problem.

Konrad

Morning ,thanks for the post ,

I know where MAF is ,I'll disconect it and give it a go ,will see what happens ,got nothing to loose ,

Hopefully toyota will giv the car back today n tell me wats wrong ,

I'll update n see wat happens

Good day

Carb cleaner is a bit to aggressive for the MAF! Use electrical contact cleaner spray or a product mate for is called CFC that can be bought off eBay...

• Like 1

Carb cleaner is a bit to aggressive for the MAF! Use electrical contact cleaner spray or a product mate for is called CFC that can be bought off eBay...

Thanks for the correction Taff.

I admit I was a bit lazy in not checking the correct spray to use.

Hopefully Tony will read your suggestion in time.

Konrad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I Need some help with my 2004 d4d avensis its loosing power especially uphills on straight roads the car picks up speed but cant feel the turbo when going over 3000 rpm I have changed the fuel filter cleaned the egr valve changed the boost censor and replaced the air floe meter but still no luck wondering any one can help discover the fault.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links