Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Muliple Keyfob Failure?

Oggi

Hi all, today it appears our vehicle (NHW20 circa Nov 03 vintage) has lost it's ability to respond to both (either) of our keyfobs. I changed one of the batteries in the keyfobs just to rule that out but still the same. The car had a replacement 12V Battery less than 12 months ago and voltages look good so I've ruled that possibility out also. The only other symptom is that the red vehicle/key logo on the dashboard is flashing when the key is removed (sometimes flashing very quickly. The car will start and run fine when the fobs are placed in the slot but the central locking is dead. Does anyone know of any previous issues along these lines and the possible resolution path (not to mention the cost!).

I suspect an issue internal to the vehicle, is anyone aware of the location within the vehicle of the receiver/antenna assembly? I have programmed a keyfob before with success so I'm fairly familiar with the procedures to do that, I tried the various sequences but could not get the vehicle into "programming" mode.

Any help much appreciated as I would like to avoid a trip to the local stealership if possible...

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it is not some airborne interference - military or emergency services communications, national grid or similar.

See http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150767-both-key-remotes-have-stopped-working/?hl=%2Bkey+%2Bfobs+%2Bnot+%2Bworking#entry1286006

Hi, thanks for reply, I don't think so, the wife went off this morning without any problem and only found the problem when she tried to lock it on her return. We've never had any issues along these lines before and it's still like it now some 8hrs or so later. Regards.

OK, but the interference may have started whilst your wife was out - hence having a problem trying to lock the car when she got back.

Hi, it's a fair comment, it has been 8hrs+ now though. I had another thought, possibly it's just the central locking that has died (fuse or whatever) and the RF system is actually working, I know it's a long shot but I'll have to work out which fuse may be a potential culprit (unless anyone can tell me please and save me the effort?). Regards.

Drive somewhere else and see if it still doesn't work to confirm/rule out local interference?

My Gen 2 does the fast flashy key dash indicator first thing after I lock the car with the fob - or I don't notice it until I've locked the car. It seems to alternate between bright lit and dim rather than on and off. It does eventually switch to a slow pulse but I've never timed it. Sorry, I can't recall what mine does when I pull the fob from the slot.

Hi all, I think your suspicions regarding RF interference may be correct, thought I'd try it again one more time as I left for work this morning, worked fine as if nothing had happened!!!. Curious as we've had the car for circa 8 years, always at this address, used it daily and never had this issue before.

Thanks for all your responses and attention, the thought of a trip to the local stealership was weighing heavily on me, especially with the time of year.

I'm now off to try and find out which one of my neighbours has set themself up as a radio ham recently (or whatever other possible cause it may be). Regards.

Hi, many years ago I had a Subaru. I parked the vehicle on an industrial estate opposite a Subaru dealership, locked the car with the key fob without problem. Later retuning to the car the fob would not open the locks, so went across road and bought a new key fob Battery. Still would not work, the service dept sent one of the mechanics over and we eventually got into the car using the emergency key, this set of the alarm which had to be silenced by entering the pin number.

Thought everything would improve but no car imobiliser would not allow engine to start. Dealers personnel were baffled never had a problem with car parked outside. In the end we pushed the car about a metre forwards and everything returned to normal, car functioned normally. I took mechanic for test drive and we stopped, locked and restarted the car several times. Returned to dealership and parked in original spot.. problem returned. I had this problem later in the life of the car, but after a small movement of the vehicle problems went away. I did notice the problems occurred near communications towers and Subaru UK actually acknowledged the problem with some key fobs.

Maybe if it happens again with you, it might be worth moving car a few feet?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links