Do Not Sell My Personal Information

54 Plate D4D Avensis

GrantW

My Avensis which I've owned from new and has now done 199,300 miles has decided to start playing up. It seems like it just doesn't want to go over the 200k mark.

It started with EGR(?) valve problems and has recently decided to develop a corrosion problem on the clutch pipe. This was replaced by a local mechanic (with much grunting and groaning) and having been bled seemingly worked fine until we tried to drive the car.

The basic problem is that the clutch pedal then stuck in the down position. After more bleeding we tried it again. Same problem. This process we repeated until my arm was falling off.

We then tried driving the car properly. This was fine. When it's going up and down through the gears, the pedal returns to the 'up' position but if it's either in first or reverse and doesn't move to the next gear the pedal just sits there in the down position and needs to be physically lifted up. Then it's fine again.

The mechanic scratched his head and as it was getting late (and dark) we decided to call it a day and I'm back on the train again.

Any ideas guys?

Sounds to me like the Clutch Slave Cylinder is Faulty,I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly...

There were two choices when I changed mine, either Toyota genuine which is made by aisin or a ADL blueprint is also available. I went for the genuine.

I changed the master cylinder due to clutch being heavy, after doing so we had to bleed the system, then the clutch wouldn't return to the top whilst driving, I had to lift up pedal up with my foot, so I changed the slave cylinder.

I have posted a link below there is a pdf file by pete, please download it will help you regarding the clutch and its parts.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/120775-05-avensis-clutch-pedal-squeak-l700/

• Like 1

another point, grease these two points in the video, and any parts that need greasing after reading the pdf file.

after a while it will start annoying squeak best to grease the parts whilst you have good access.

• Like 1

Great advice thanks. That's exactly the symptoms I've got. Hopefully I may yet get past the 200k mark.