Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tunit Box Up For Grabs :)

Mistermena

Hi guys...

Just to let forum members know! I've got a TUNIT box up for grabs on eBay item number 161151651751

It's for a T-180 2.2 AD oil burner! The box was reviewed in issue 133 of the RedLine mag on a Auris 2.2 SR 180

Cheers

Hi I don't suppose you have a copy of the Redline article do you? I have looked around the web in the past without success for a scanned copy.

The reason I ask is that is was my own white SR180 that they used. It was a Toyota press fleet car that was loaned to Redline and raced in the 2008 Toyota Sprint Series events.

No longer fitted with the Tunit box more for insurance & warranty reasons than anything else, and it never came with the car when Toyota sold it to me.

Tunit had the SR on their website for a while and Car Mechanics also ran it as a Diesel tuning article with Tunit.

From memory it put out about 190 bhp at the wheels (not at the crank as manufacturers quote) and absolutely tree stump pulling torque!

Hope the box goes to a good home, and brings years of grins.

Pete

Hi Pete...

It brought a great big grin to me face when I read your post! I remember reading the article on the web and thinking, what a great looking motor :)

I haven't got a copy of 133 mag I'm sorry to say! Would be lovely to sell the Tunit with the mag to prove how well both performed...

I must admit! The box did transform the cars mpg and low down grunt! Hope it finds a good home with lots of smiles to:)

From memory it put out about 190 bhp at the wheels (not at the crank as manufacturers quote) and absolutely tree stump pulling torque!

Pete

From standard you would be lucky to get 166 BHP, we have had our kits put them up to 210 BHP (measured on a dyno) but the power is too on/off and drives horribly, we set ours to approx 195

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've never changed mine from the factory setting! Tunit has 9 setting to choose from! On 9 it must be pushing out 200+bhp!!!

I wasn't bothered about the bhp! It was always the mpg for me... :)

Id seriously consider the Blueflame chip Ive reviewed. Cheeper than the Lindup chip but Id say HUGE improvement in driveability and power band is wider and smoother around 1700-4500 now...and goes like stink!!!

Id seriously consider the Blueflame chip Ive reviewed. Cheeper than the Lindup chip but Id say HUGE improvement in driveability and power band is wider and smoother around 1700-4500 now...and goes like stink!!!

There will be very little power over 3000 RPM, if you rev it to 4500 then you are just wasting fuel, take a look at a dyno graph and the power dies off over 3K

• 2 weeks later...

Kingo - you are so wrong! The power climbs up and up and dies just under 4500. 460nm of torque too. The BLuespark is definitely something you guys are going to have to worry about Im afraid! Theres NO improvement in economy though, that I must admit....its about the same as it was - urban driving, kids to and from school, im only getting 320miles on the tank before the warning light....BEtter than the 2.5V6 Mondeo I had before though which only managed 230!

If you have had it dyno'd, then post up a picture of the results to show us all

Torque is pretty much dead after 2500 RPM and BHP falls off just over 3500

You will not see any improvement in MPG as you are driving it like a petrol engine car if you are hitting 4500 RPM

The BLuespark is definitely something you guys are going to have to worry about Im afraid!

Errrrr..........I doubt that very much :lol:

Kingo, clearly you are trying to sell your own product here, thats cool, but you cant knock what you havent tried. Sadly I havent got a fancy phone to show you the dyno, but it was as described...and this car now pulls all the way up to fractionally under 4500.

Yes I sell our product here, I have no agenda to knock anybody elses product

What I do like are facts. You clearly have anecdotal evidence that supports you liking the product, sadly that is not good enough for people making an investment and buy the product, that is why I ask if you have had it dyno'd then to post up the graph. I have dyno'd very many SR / T 180 RAV and Auris, and I can tell you there is no power whatsoever over 3500 RPM. I can also tell you max torque is around 2500 RPM and revving past this is a total waste of effort and fuel, the clue is in the title MAX TORQUE. There is no wonder you see no improvement in MPG. If you change your driving style to suit the torque curve you will see a better MPG

I can see both sides of the coin here. You're both right - my trial with the TDI-Tuning box revealed no more power on the dyno, but it was pulling more torque at the wheels. That was on Lvl 12 of a possible 31 ! Less than 10 felt like standard, 12-14 felt better all round & pulled like a train, but above 15 was useless because although it made more power it was also kicking out a lot of smoke. Regens were far too regular to be healthy. What this would do to the turbo, EGR & DPF in the long run is a scary thought .......

It is possible to have more torque AND better MPG, but you do have to drive using the torque band & not rag it to death at high revs. If you want a screamer, you should've bought a Civic Type-R :)

Take a look at a dyno of our kit

Max torque at 2463 RPM, and a whopping 379 ft lb or 513 NM

Max HP at 3637 RPM is 212 BHP

Any decent kit should give more torque, if it does'nt, it is no good, it is entirely possible to gain lots more torque. The kit we use has been adjusted downwards slightly from the above figures because driving the car with 212 BHP is uncomfortable, the power is either on or off, we have adjusted it to just under 200 for a smooth and comfortable drive that will put a huge smile on your face :rolleyes:

Those kits with multiple adjustment USUALLY are a one size fits all kit, they have no specific engine file inside the box, so the box has multiple adjustment, this is so that one of the settings will be near enough for most people. That is not good enough, he kit should be at least suitable for a set manufacturer

Black smoke is typical of kits that just overfuel, if the boost is adjusted too, then you should see very little extra smoke

If anyone wants any more info, PM me

post-34014-0-43912900-1386062910_thumb.j

The TDI box does adjust the boost pressure, not just an over-fuelling trick. I had the maps checked out on a rolling road, so I know there is a great deal of adjustment available depending on what you want from it. I challenge anyone to drive around for a decent length of time on max settings & not see more smoke or experience extra regens. This is because the fuelling system is operating at the extreme end of it's 'bandwidth' (so to speak). So it's only natural that this kind of setting will eventually cause upset or damage.

The setting I preferred gave more torque at the wheels & a real world improvement in MPG (approx 5%). It also smoothed out the typical 'lag, surge, lag, surge' behaviour of many diesels. I must add that the 2.2 D4D engine is one of the smoothest out there anyway. Having driven Vauxhalls with horrendous lag issues or Fords & Audis with good clean pulling power, I honestly prefer the Toyota to any of them in this respect.

Sorry to go off topic a bit there !

Kingo, you are knocking other manufacturers...Have YOU tested the Bluespark chip? How can you claim "Torque is pretty much dead after 2500 RPM and BHP falls off just over 3500"

Im 42 years old, and have chipped and tuned many of my vehicles. The figures I have quoted are factual, Im just sorry I cant prove it with a photo. For reference my car started with 174BHP (admittedly with a K & N panel filter and Esso performance diesel, so my starting point may be a few horses more than the Auris in the Tunit article). This chip has transformed the cars performance and driveability and for the money, I've done very well....whether its worth paying another £150 for your chip is very much up for debate, no offense....

We could debate this all day, and I have the FACTS to prove it, your anecdotal evidence is no fact at all

I am not knocking the Bluespark product, what I knock is your unsupported claim, no product in the world is going to make your diesel engine pull at 4500, sorry, but those are the facts. No chip in the world can make an engine do something it is not capable of doing. When you have suitable evidence that it still pulls at 4500 RPM then I shall reconsider my opinion, get it dyno'd and display the results, as I have done, if you can't, we shall leave it at that

How straightforward are these to fit/install? Are there any downsides to getting them?

Might consider it if it is DIYable.

Very easy, I sell dozens of them online, just two connections and 20 minutes later you will have it fitted :thumbsup:

The Bluespark adjusts timing and fuelling. All i can say is that with it the power and is extended to about 1600 right through to 4500. So even in 6th at 70mph, squeeze the throttle and power is there! Its dead easy to fit.....and if you aren't happy (and think it doesn't pull beyond 4000rpm As Kingo seems to think) you return it and get your money back. I wouldn't stick my neck out unless i felt you guys would benefit. Its less boomy and a lot smoother and noticeably faster!

• 2 weeks later...

Very easy, I sell dozens of them online, just two connections and 20 minutes later you will have it fitted :thumbsup:

The Blue Spark chip has 2 connections and works brilliantly...for £149 if your car has a 3 pin connector, another 40quid for a 4 pin as mine did....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links