Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 4.3 Issues

tatteam

Hello all, I have couple of issues which I would like to solve with my 2007 4.3 XT5.

#1... now that the temperature is going down, I'm noticing that it's taking longer to start and this morning if I did't had a good Battery it would have failed to start.

Checked glow plugs and found all ok (1.2~1.4ohms), the thing is that when ignition is turned on power to the glow plugs will remain for a second or two and turns off (is this normal??)

#2... Rattling sunroof when opened, once I believe there was a post regarding this issue but couldn't find it, is there something I can do to eliminate this nasty noise??

Thanks for your support, James.

Hello all, I have couple of issues which I would like to solve with my 2007 4.3 XT5.

#1... now that the temperature is going down, I'm noticing that it's taking longer to start and this morning if I did't had a good battery it would have failed to start.

Checked glow plugs and found all ok (1.2~1.4ohms), the thing is that when ignition is turned on power to the glow plugs will remain for a second or two and turns off (is this normal??)

#2... Rattling sunroof when opened, once I believe there was a post regarding this issue but couldn't find it, is there something I can do to eliminate this nasty noise??

Thanks for your support, James.

tested supply on glow plugs with ignition on when engine cold (and noticed the relay click), it did kept on for some more time, will try tomorrow morning. Must admit, I never waited for the click before starting...

Hi James,

On #1, it's quite common for D4Ds (and most diesels) to be a bit more reluctant to start in cold weather. It's normal for the glowplug dash indicator to go out after a couple of seconds, but the glowplugs actually keep working for much longer - and after the engine has fired up:

m_st_0001.pdf

In cold weather, switch on IGN and wait an additional 5 secs before cranking. Avoid having other significant electrical loads on while you do this.

RAV glowplugs seem to enjoy very long lives. If you've done other checks (eg the length of time that they operate, checked with test-lamp or meter at a plug), before being tempted to replace them, try substituting a good new Battery. Poor winter starting is often the first sign that a Battery, good enough in the summer, is starting to give up on delivering enough current for both starting and simultaneous glowplug operation. (One clue to this condition is that the engine fires only when you release the key: there's immediately a higher voltage feed to the glowplugs.)

Chris

I'm sure someone else will be able to help with the rattly sunroof problem. Mine does this too, but only when closed. Looks as if it needs a dose of aerosol grease on its tracks.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Chris, I must point out that the Battery was changed 3 months ago, so its still new...According to the pdf attached the resistance should be 0.72 but mine is 1.4ohms !! so should be fine :g: ??

Also, I didn't know there was a time relay, so I was starting immediately without waiting for the relay to cut out.

Hope this will solve my problem as from now on I'll wait for the relay click before starting.

:thumbsup: thanks.

Hi James,

The data I posted above was for a 4.2, rather than your model, so it's possible that the plugs are a different resistance. (If all the same, and at this kind of figure, than they're probably all ok.) Posted the delay data just to illustrate the point about pre-heat and post-heat. Again, data for yours might be slightly different. Hope useful all the same.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

try the main lead from Battery to starter make sure it's not loose at the starter end, I have just done one on a 2.2 Avensis and a ouple of Rav 4's about three weeks ago just when the cold snap started looks like it may be a common fault,

make sure you dis-connect the Battery first,

Thanks mate... worth give them a check. I changed fuel filter and already noticed some change. Will check terminals next step.

:thumbsup:

Do you happen to know what the cold cranking amps(CCA)are on your Battery?

It should be printed on it somewhere.

680 CCAs are often the norm,

but according to Charlie's mechanic 800CCAs are whats needed for our diesels.

I have a brand new.. Well 3 week old 680CCA Battery here with a 4 year guarantee if anyone can make use of it.

Our 2.2 Diesels should according to Toyota have an 800 amp one though..

As some of you know my car has had the starting woes and so far has had..

Brand new 680CCA Battery

New set of Blueprint Glow plugs.

Battery replaced again with an 800CCA Genuine Toyota battery

Each part renewed has added to a car that is starting very well indeed, Each part has made a difference so perhaps the old parts were just getting tired. Car is 7 1/2 years old and 78K miles now. Nothing lasts forever..

As Don said on the other thread the starter may need replacing when the temperatures dip very low.. I agree but until I get the chance to try under those conditions I will just hang fire with replacing the starter..

I dropped the car on Monday of this week so the garage could diagnose the slow cranking. They agreed it was on the slow side but said when coupling up another battery it leapt into life.. So they say that while the starter could be getting a bit slow its not worth replacing until the battery which was underpowered was tried first.. The bill for the correct battery was half the cost of replacing the starter.. I think my problem is/was a combination of both elements IE the battery and the starter but as above until it gets cold again I guess we wont know.. Garage is also aware I'm looking to replace the car and say no point in doing something that doesn't need doing on an outgoing vehicle.

What I'm saying is that as cars get older all parts can go weak and the combination of these parts can be hard to diagnose.

I was a bit disappointed that the garage did not replace the starter but changed a new battery for another new battery. I thought the difference would not be enough but the car now starts very quickly with much vigour..

What do I know eh ?

Hi James

I had a problem with a rattly sunroof and I finally found the source of the noise- the wind deflector that pops up when the sunroof slides open. It's made up of three parts (two side arms and a deflector)and there was slight movement between these parts causing a rattle. No actual way of tightening up the joint between side arms and deflector so I cured the problem by bridging the joints with some strips of duct tape. It might not be the cause of your rattle but worth trying.

Best Regards

Alan

Thanks guys for your replies. Checked Battery CCA and found out its 730 CCA, do you think it's under rated??

regards, James.

Cannae see 70 of them CCA things of a shortfall making THAT much of a difference......less than 10% reduction from optimal?

Depends how important the shortfall is or gets exacerbated by low temperatures I would guess.........?

As we have learnt from Brian McFox, loose Battery leads to starter and duff durty earth leads will rob you of CCA beasties.......and burnt oot solenoid contacts on starter..........or an aging starter like Charlie (naw......the wan on his car.....) Worms in a wee can, Jamesy.......

Thanks guys for your replies. Checked battery CCA and found out its 730 CCA, do you think it's under rated??

regards, James.

Well 120 difference in my case seems to have made quite a difference..

Main point here though is how good or bad is your Battery.

• Like 1

Hi, Battery is 2 months old, AcDelco CCA 730, Ahrs 90, Reserve Capacity 160min... terminals are well tightened... now that I've changed fuel filter, it made a cosiderable change in starting, quite happy but still I pretend the starter should turn faster, but at least it's not turning for long to start.

All I can say is replaced mine with a Varta G8 830cca Battery, better spec than Toyota original. Muchus improvedus.