Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1St Winter With The Rav

RavRov

Hello out there!

1st post after the introduction a couple of weeks ago so be gentle! (Used to be on Landyzone but saw sense and needed reliability!!!)

Well, woke up this morning to find a dusting of snow and icy roads, nothing on the news about travel chaos bringing the country to a standstill but its winter and its sort of expected up here every year!

For the last couple of years I had a Freelander which felt OKish to drive in these conditions, the RAV this morning was far better, very impressed. The Freelander used to slip, slide and felt a bit "twitchy" the RAV however no problem, no worries, very happy (obviously both cars were driven according to the conditions), hopefully that'll continue as the weather gets worse over the next few months.

Maybe the reason for the car feeling better is the previous owner fitted all season tyres to the front, on the Freelander it was recommended that all 4 tyres needed to be of the same make and replaced at the same time to ensure the rolling circumference was the same, has anyone got an opinion on this for the RAV? I've been looking through the forum and can't see anything on that topic.

Hopefully my car will be ok to run with these tyres but I've got this niggling doubt in the back of my mind.

Thanks for reading, thanks for any advice!

RavRov

Hi there, so the snow has arrived with you North Eastern lot. Believe it also landed in Ayrshire today.

I'm not a great supporter of mixed and matched rubber with as you have only all season and not full winter in the fronts then probably everything will be ok if you drive sensibly and remember that the rear may go light on you if you push on the corners.

I get very many customers asking for just say 2 x front winter tyres, they should NEVER be fitted in pairs as the rubber compound is different and will hold the road at a different rate to your existing tyres. I know you have all season tyres, but the same principles apply

The RAV is a great road holder, it has a very clever 4WD system, and with good tyres you will probably never be stuck

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Tyre types should be fitted in sets of 4, winter, all season or summer tyres - winter tyres must always be fitted in full sets. Your Rav is fine with different tyre tread depths front and rear. There is an issue with some permanent 4 wheel drive vehicles if there is a big difference in depth front and rear - the Freelander has a system where there is always some drive to the rear wheels and tread depth variability front to rear is fine.

• Like 2

I'm with Kingo on this, matching tyres on all four corners, the compounds vary considerably, you won't be aware of an issue until you're going in the opposite direction you intended...

Hello and welcome to the Club, Alastair min.........as long as you are not running vastly different tread depths front to back, or more importantly on the same axle, you will be fine, and as far as all tyres being the same brand and all renewed at the same time.......what a lot of widdle !

Because of where you are in our lovely country (shurrit, Gus......), if you can eventually see yer way to a set of winter wheels or just tyres to swap, you will be even more impressed.........I am a new convert to them, and not on yet due to busy cleaning two Auriseez for friends..........who had ALL BLOODY SUMMER TO ASK ME TO DO.......

Say hello to Golfview Hotel at Nairn for me........just shows you how nice we are on here......we even talk to ex Landy folk.....

Must indubitably concur with the foregoing, forsooth........mix ye NOT tyres of varying compounds and seasonalities.......recipe for strippo a diffo.......ye dinnae want that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I've got Geolander G91A's on the back and Michelin Energy LX4's M+S on the front, been researching on the net about the Geolanders, some regard them as an all season tyre, some say they're summer only, confused now! If Toyota fit them as original equipment I'm thinking and assuming they're fit for purpose in most weather conditions.

Great forum by the way, glad to be a member!

G91A's are a very good tyre, as you say they were an O.E tyre on the 4.3 Rav. I ran previous Ravs on G91's through some horrendous winter conditions with no problems whatsoever.

So, to conclude, G91's are more than suitable and capable all year round, can't comment on your Michelins I'm afraid but somebody will have had experience I'm sure…………...

As was explained on here before, the term M+S means virtually nothing but all weather........real winter cold weather tyres have the mountain and snowflake symbol to properly define their use. So should be no compatibility issues IMVHO BTW.

Winter tyres (as opposed to M&S) tyres, have a different compound so they work at their best below 7 degrees. They make the car much more stable in cold weather, by cold weather I mean 7 degrees or below. There is a common misbelief they are only good in snow............wrong..........their compound makes them suitable for wet / slush / snow in that low temperature range

I first had a set a few years back, it is hard to describe to people how much better tha car handles with winter tyres, we now have our fleet of Yaris on them so that customers can actually try them out

• Like 2

Glad you posted this Alastair,as my mate pointed out to me last week,which i completely forgot about, that we have an M+S tyre on the back,which is the tyre that has the lowest amount of tread on and he wasn't sure if it was ok to have this tyre on along with three normal tyres??

They are all Bridgestone Duelers 687s if i remember even the M+S one.

So folks is it ok to have just the one M+S tyre on??

Glad you posted this Alastair,as my mate pointed out to me last week,which i completely forgot about, that we have an M+S tyre on the back,which is the tyre that has the lowest amount of tread on and he wasn't sure if it was ok to have this tyre on along with three normal tyres??

I'm pretty sure that the BD 687 is M&S, Paul. I seem to recall that our 4.2 always ran 687's and they were marked M&S. Open to correction, mind.

Winter tyres (as opposed to M&S) tyres, have a different compound so they work at their best below 7 degrees. They make the car much more stable in cold weather, by cold weather I mean 7 degrees or below. There is a common misbelief they are only good in snow............wrong..........their compound makes them suitable for wet / slush / snow in that low temperature range

I first had a set a few years back, it is hard to describe to people how much better tha car handles with winter tyres, we now have our fleet of Yaris on them so that customers can actually try them out

Just be like the thing, John min, somebody reverses their car withoot winter tyres into your car......

A boot up the Yaris, eh........? What.......?

I'm pretty sure that the BD 687 is M&S, Paul. I seem to recall that our 4.2 always ran 687's and they were marked M&S. Open to correction, mind.

Hi Jim.

Yes they are all BD 687s but only the one has the M+S marks on them??

Hi Jim.

Yes they are all BD 687s but only the one has the M+S marks on them??

I think that BD 687 came in a highway version as well (marked HT?) although I've not come across them All our 687's were M&S.