Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failing Battery In Key Fobs

NORTHERN_LAD

First post since joining the forum, so as always be nice.

Yesterday morning my wife was driving our Rav when it beeped and briefly displayed a message about about the key. She moved the key closer to the start button and all was well. When she got home she tried to lock it with the key fob but it failed to lock. It was early and cold.

Tonight I was so it in the car and a message about the key was very briefly displayed but so quickly I could not read it. I use the touch and go feature to lock the car and it was OK. Again it was cold and the key was on my jacket pocket.

The batteries in both fobs where changed 6 months since.

So my question is, is it the cold making the fobs play up or have got bigger problems looming.

I will change the batteries again tomorrow but not Renata this time.

The batteries in my fobs have only needed changing once so far in over two and a half years.. Could be dodgy batteries. ??

I'm with Charlie on this one, quickest and easiest thing to eliminate are tired batteries.

Don't forget to hold the batteries by edges only - it's very easy to discharge them if you touch the faces :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I use the "second" key as my wife has the main one! As a consequence I don't think the Battery has ever been changed in my key but it is on my "list of things to do" because it has been unresponsive when trying to unlock the car remotely. I haven't seen any messages though. There is a guide in the pinned section on how to change the Battery which I will follow (thanks Anchs) :clap:

David

Hi Keith and welcome to TOC!

I keep a couple of spare batteries in the car as I was caught out with flat one in the RAV's first year. I also change the batteries regularly now as I worry about the amount of power used when the button(s) are pressed inadvertently by just keeping the keys in my pocket. I know that if I'm washing the car with the keys in my pocket the the locks are operating as regularly as supermarket doors.

Get yourself a card of, say, 6 spares. For about 60p each they are cheap peace of mind and a couple in the glove box will get you out of trouble. HTH