Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Comsumption

cfc

I am thinking of moving from my Auris petrol manual to the Avensis 1.8 petrol with CVT. I had a test

drive in a two year old model and found it very smooth and pleasant to drive.

I choose petrol because of low mileage these days and don't think that suits the modern diesel.

My question is what MPG can I expect to get in "real life driving"?

Thanks,

Colin

My experience so far is about 43mpg if driven nice, 40 if driven quite nice, and I reckon the advertised 38 would be about right if driven a bit mre heavy-footed or in more traffic.

I was looking at Honest John literally minutes before seeing your post!

You should get a got response from the members who own the 1.8 CVT version.

I looked at the rivals and the petrol Avensis beats them all with equivalent petrol engines. The CVT 1.8 is rated at 91% to 94% real life mpg. 38.5 - 39.7 mpg.

I had to remove the links to Honest John as they did not work.

Thanks to both of you for replies.

Konrad C, yes the link did not work but I found it on the Honest John site, did not know about that section so very useful thank you!

alan333, it would seem that 40 ish is about what to expect. How do you get on with the CVT, I had never driven one before and in a short test run found it very good.

• Like 1

How do you get on with the CVT, I had never driven one before and in a short test run found it very good.

It's exceptionally good. It's a bit different from a conventional torque convertor auto and it can be a little "revvy" at times, but on the other hand this means that it's always got plenty oomph on tap. I just leave it to get on with it's own thing, which it does very well. It's so smooth you can only tell it's changed gear by watching the rev counter. It drives exactly as per your test drive - if you're a fan of auto's you'll love it.

Yes I have had my CVT almost 3 weeks and have done approx 1600 miles - its telling me that I am doing just over 40 mpg....well pleased.....

Have had my 1.8 CVT Estate for just over 18 months now and am very please with it. Though I used to drive manuals for business the wife and I have had at least one auto between us for private use for many years. Was a little dubious in moving to a CVT as all previous ones had been conventional torque convertor autos. I did lots of research before taking the plunge and could find no adverse reports on the Toyota CVT. We are both pleased with how it drives and it is well matched to the 1.8 petrol engine. It has returned 38 mpg + or - 1 since I've had it which I think is very good for a car of its size. I did mange to get 40 out of it on a long lazy run on a French motorway journey earlier this year. I am not a slow driver and generally cruise on the motorways at 80 mph or just under. Occasionally use the sport mode for quick getaways or overtakes. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ive had my 1.8 cvt for just coming up to a year. Very pleased with it. Use it for very short local work , often only about 3 to 5 miles and get around 38 mpg. in the summer I used it to tow a caravan which it did with no problem at all.AVERAGE MPG towing aboutr 27 mpg. Its very smooth and easy to drive.

Thank you for the replies.

I may have to rethink my plans because I would need to change/remove some fittings in my garage to get the Avensis Touring I tested in!

The only negative I have seen so far is with regard to the electric parking brake should it give trouble, can't believe it could cost so much to replace should that become necessary.

I have the 18 cvt,I get 29.6 most of the time but that is in a lot of traffic as I drive a taxi,not much worse than the diesel but without the long term problems of a diesel

Ive got a 2ltr cvt tourer... milage on short trips is pretty poor... lucky to get 25 to 27 mpg:-(

I live in the countryside and drive ocassionally in town. Most of my travel is motorway and dual carriageway.

1.8 CVT, 61 plate

28k miles.

70mph on motorway = 41 - 44mpg.

"local" driving = 34-36.

Long term average (70% motorway) 38.1

very light footed on both pedals, plenty of anticipation and ocassional sprint on M5 @ 85 mph......

looks to me like I should have gone for the 1.8ltr engine :-(