Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tsport Heater Issues

yaris781

Hi guys

My tsport has recently started blowing luke warm air. Checked other posts ref flushing the heater matrix. Mines blowing luke warm from both sides of the vents.

I've checked coolant level that's fine the top hose on radiator is hot and the 2 smaller pipes that go into the car are hot too.

The bottom pipe on the radiator however is cold.

Is it possible this could be blocked?

It stays on warm air for quite a while unless I hit the motorway it is slightly warmer no where near as hot as it used to be.

There's no funny noises or any milky stuff on oil or radiator caps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ash

Hi,

From your symptons it does sound like a partially blocked heater matrix and the cure seems to be as described in those other very long 'heater' posts.

Seems to affect 2002/2003 models most, possibly ones that have had the original antifreeze changed to non Toyota stuff or used hard water to mix concentrate with ?

You do not mention if any work has been done on the water works recently ? -if it has then you could have introduced an air lock on the hearer matrix section, which just needs bleeding out.

The bottom main radiator hose will feel cooler than the top hose, partic in this cold weather.

You do not mention what the temp gauge shows, is that coming up and holding as normal , if its on the low side the thermostat might be 'blown' in the open position so keeping the whole system too cool.

Hi

Appreciate your reply thank you

The car is a late 2003 model.

There's not been no work on the car recently since we've had it however looking through the history the system was flushed out in September 2011 but not by main dealer.

The temperature needle stays where it should be never gone above half way. On checking the coolant level it was all ok in the radiator but the bottle next to it was between minimum and max marks.

The car drives perfect just this issue with the heater at the moment.

Is it easy to get rid of the air lock but flushing the matrix is sonething I wouldn't be able to if it does need unblocking

Thanks

Ash

Hi,

Forgot to mention, have you first checked / renewed the pollen filter, if its blocked so will your airflow and heat output from the heater matrix - its behind the glovebox on the standard models, easy to get to and check, just remove the damper securing screw and unclip the glove box; the filter needs replacing at least once a year.

Whats the colour of the antifreeze you see in the header tank, Toyota Pink or a blue / green after market stuff.

There is no clear view, but its possible the remains of the toyota pink when mixed with after market stuff and chalky hard water the combination may cause the fine tubes of the heater matrix to clog up.

It that is the case in yours, as it is still passing some heat then using the hose pipe method as show in those other posts should hopefully clear it.

If its 2 years since anything was done to the cooling and your heat has only just gone off would thing an air lock is unlikely.

If you cannot flush it yourself , Toyota would only replace the matrix and thats a major job /expense.

Perhaps a local friendly garage might do a chemical flush for you, if needed ??

Hi again

Not sure about pollen filter but will check it.

The coolant is pink in colour.

Think will let a local garage flush system I can't drive in a cold car so needs to be done soon as.

I've got issues with my spinal cord and the cold weather really effects my legs and feet.

I think your suggestion about letting a local garage flush the system out is the best soloution for now.

Thanks very much for help 👍👍

Hi,

Do check the pollen filter as its amazing the stuff you can get in there,other folk have reported the same problem as you and it was just that filter causing it..

( found half a tree in mine when I first got it, yet it had a garages full service stamp just weeks before)

If you seek the help of a garage I would give them this link / or print out the relevant pages so they can really see what you are talking about, I would think its only the heater matrix that really needs flushing out, not the main rad or engine.

See the pics in posts nos 118 and 169

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/76133-heater/

Hi

I've just this minute put the filter back in.

It wasn't too bad but I did vaccum it and there was quite a bit of little bits of debris or whatever else. It has actually made a little improvement but not much.

I'll show the info you've high lighted to my neighbour who's a good DIY mechanic and take it from there

I do really appreciate your advice and thanks again.

I'll update on weekend after his flushed it out for me

Thanks again

👍👍