Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schadenfreude: Don't Ya Just Love It?

firemac

It seems that VAG are having a few problems. However, if this were a Toyota recall, the good ol' BBC would have it in headlines on their front page. But, seeing as it's not then they've buried it in the middle of the business section. Good job it's only duff electrics & leaking fuel lines and not something really dangerous.

Even so they couldn't help having a pop in the last para.

"German carmaker Volkswagen has announced a recall of about 2.6 million cars worldwide, including 640,000 in China, a crucial growth market. The recall affects a range of models that may have problems with lights, leaking fuel lines and the wrong type of engine oil.

It includes 800,000 of its Tiguan SUV model, one of VW's best-selling models globally this year.

The recall is one of the biggest in VW's history.

Some 640,000 cars are being recalled in China, where VW produces cars for the local market, as well as selling imports. China is now the biggest car market in the world, an important source of demand for global carmakers looking for growth to offset declines in European car sales.

VW says it wants to double its manufacturing capacity in China to four million cars a year by 2018, helping it to become the biggest car company in the world by sales.

The recall is a setback for those ambitions, although the faults appear to be relatively minor.

There are concerns that the affected Tiguan cars have faulty fuses in their lighting circuits.

A further 239,000 Amarok pick-up trucks may have leaking engine fuel lines.

Another 1.6 million cars and vans may have problems caused by the use of a synthetic oil in their gear boxes.

These include 640,000 vehicles produced in, or imported to, China between 2009 and 2013.

VW has already recalled more than 380,000 vehicles in China this year because of gearbox problems.

However, the size of the recall is dwarfed by Toyota's recall of 10 million cars in 2009 and 2010, amid fears over sticky accelerator pedals and floor mats."

• Like 3

A short while ago when Toyota had the door micro-switch recall, which also affected Honda and I believe Mazda ? a BMW driver I know happened to mention his car had been the subject of eleven separate recall bulletins during his four years of ownership. The Germans normally seem to prefer a quieter approach to such matters……..if they can get away with it.

I guess a lot has to do with how good the PR company is and what their relationship with the press is like.

Whilst searching the VOSA website looking at various recalls, I took a look at quite a number of high end cars, you would be surprised at the numbers. From memory Rolls Royce had a problem with wheels falling off one of their models :eek:

Moved back to the RAV forum where this thread was intended to draw comparisons between the old RAV recall and similar marques.

Please leave it here mods.

• Like 3

Whilst searching the VOSA website looking at various recalls, I took a look at quite a number of high end cars, you would be surprised at the numbers. From memory Rolls Royce had a problem with wheels falling off one of their models :eek:

Although high numbers is worrying, I'd be more concerned if a manufacturer had an unusually low recall rate! That would suggest they don't care or don't acknowledge issues. I see recalls as a positive.

With recent RAV recalls (see--on topic and correct section!) I'm glad they found the problems and then dealt with them!!

Dave

I'm just waiting for a Toyota RAV4 recall of the 1994 models to replace the worn carpets.....

• Like 1