Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Rav 4 D Cat Auto Fuel Consumption

Eric Keith

Rav 4 2010 d cat auto 150 bhp , excessive fuel consumption , when I bought it 6 months ago dealer said it would do 35 / 40 mpg , but is doing about 22 mpg on country roads , 30mpg motorway driving , is this normal .

Rav 4 2010 d cat auto 150 bhp , excessive fuel consumption , when I bought it 6 months ago dealer said it would do 35 / 40 mpg , but is doing about 22 mpg on country roads , 30mpg motorway driving , is this normal .

Hi Eric. Welcome to the club.

That sounds really thirsty. Our's averages 31 mpg in very mixed, but mostly, urban running although I have seen 38 mpg on a cross-country run. It does depend very much on how the car is used and whether it gets up to operating temp regularly.

Have you tried an Italian Tune-up? Take it for a fairly long fast drive to get it up to temp & keeping the revs up - use it in manual mode to keep the engine spinning at a nice healthy speed. There is a school of thought that says that if the car is used mostly in urban environment with short runs and lots of start-stop driving, which isn't good for a modern diesel with all the clean-up kit on it, then it should be taken for a good quick open-road run regularly - say every few weeks. Also try to avoid supermarket diesel as it can lead to carbon build-up in EGR, etc. I now use Shell Nitro almost exclusively; it costs a bit more but you should get slightly better mpg and it will help keep the innards clean.

Of course there may be something fundamentally amiss and the more knowledgable folks on here will be along soon to contribute, I'm sure. Meanwhile, are you getting any warning lights coming up on the dash when you're driving?

Hello Eric. Are you taking your figures from the dash read out or by 'brim to brim' calculation?

I don't think you will EVER achieve what the dealer has said (35-40), but what you are getting is a little below the norm of the owners here with 150 & Auto combo.

I used to get 32MPG with mine when driving pretty normally on quiet country roads 85% of the time. This time of year, consumption drops significantly, so if your figures are only from low temp, not that out of order.

DavRav makes very good point re data from OBC or brim to brim. On my 2011 SR, the OBC was remarkably accurate and actually fractionally underquoted the MPG compared to brim-to-brim calcs, but as the phrase goes, YMMV (literally!)

It seems to be that 2010 RAV autos don't do as well as the latest 4.4s. So, my RAV which is the same spec as yours, gives about 29-30 knocking about and about 35 on a run.

You might do better than you are now with decent fuel - avoid supermarket fuel like the plague. Your car has a combined cat and particulate filter (called a DNPR) which will be systematically destroyed by supermarket weasel pee.

Today took my Lindop Chipped Rav out for what Firemac calls Italian Tune up.........selected manual mode, and pretended to be Hoovie and ripped its airse a wee bit in order to get them hot gasses belting through. My point........?

......nothing whatsoever, except Ravs are fun, especially with a wee bit of introducted extra power. Will never know if DNPR any the better for it....

• Like 2