Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Weld

tutster

Hello. Ive not got a spare tyre I have a can of tyre weld which seals the puncture from the inside. How many miles can I realistically do before I need to change the tyre?

Also the can I have says up to 16 inch tyres. My tyres are 17 inches. Can I still use it but top it up with a bit more air or do I have to search for another can?

Cheers.

Supposed to be a 'get you home' repair, and, once in the tyre, speed is supposed to be restricted to 30mph - though some people on other forums have continued to use the 'repaired' tyre until it is worn out. For tyres larger than 16 inch, two cans are supposed to be required.

You should be able to add air if needed, but I suspect the can will be able to pressureize the tyre enough to be driven on.

As for the time, should be changed ASAP as the tyre weld is not designed to be a permanent seal.

You should see if there is a space saver available for your RAV; Would be better than the stupid can of tyre weld!

One other alternative is this Puncture Safe stuff which me and bob have been trying out; Supposedly it will permanently seal any punctures in the tread area and will last the life of the tyre.

Bob's had a good experience in his IQ so far - Hasn't affected handling and for all intents and purposes feels no different than before it was put in.

My experience hasn't been too bad but I have a persistent transient vibration at motorway speeds, although I had more put in and that seems to have lessened it markedly. I have also had a puncture, but annoyingly that wasn't in the tread area so the puncturesafe couldn't seal it and I had to get a new tyre :crybaby:

I've been checking my tyres for punctures but haven't noticed any so can't tell how well it's working! Like Bob tho' I have noticed that my tyre pressures have not changed at all; Usually I get some loss over a month due to the insane amount of potholes and speed humps I have to traverse, but since putting it in, any air-loss (if any!) has become unnoticeable!

Brilliant! Thankyou very much for those posts. Will look for puncture safe now. Theres no space for a tyre in the boot. Theres a big tray thing in there with different sized compartments.

Thanks again.

Dave.

You should be able to add air if needed, but I suspect the can will be able to pressureize the tyre enough to be driven on.

As for the time, should be changed ASAP as the tyre weld is not designed to be a permanent seal.

You should see if there is a space saver available for your RAV; Would be better than the stupid can of tyre weld!

One other alternative is this Puncture Safe stuff which me and bob have been trying out; Supposedly it will permanently seal any punctures in the tread area and will last the life of the tyre.

Bob's had a good experience in his IQ so far - Hasn't affected handling and for all intents and purposes feels no different than before it was put in.

My experience hasn't been too bad but I have a persistent transient vibration at motorway speeds, although I had more put in and that seems to have lessened it markedly. I have also had a puncture, but annoyingly that wasn't in the tread area so the puncturesafe couldn't seal it and I had to get a new tyre :crybaby:

I've been checking my tyres for punctures but haven't noticed any so can't tell how well it's working! Like Bob tho' I have noticed that my tyre pressures have not changed at all; Usually I get some loss over a month due to the insane amount of potholes and speed humps I have to traverse, but since putting it in, any air-loss (if any!) has become unnoticeable!

I used to use something similar in my bike tyres as it provides great piece of mind in the event of a serious puncture followed by rapid deflation at speed, particularly at the front. However there has been a lot of debate about the risk of disguising a puncture which might lead to a more serious failure of the carcase later as the vehicle continues to be used at normal speeds. Obviously this stuff is highly coloured so that a regular check of the tread would identify any pressure loss through a puncture but of course that assumes that you are pretty religious with that examination. Another issue is that some of these products are seriously messy when it comes to repairing the puncture; I've had more than one tyre fitter up in arms after getting covered in the stuff as the tyre comes off the rim.

I haven't used it for a while in the bikes but occasionally think that it might be a good idea.....again.

Remember Toyota will repair a tyre FREE OF CHARGE if it is repairable!!

That may depend on you using to correct tyre sealant though.

I've had two punctures and used the Toyota "gunk" both times, easy and successfully.

You can realistically do quite a few miles at normal speeds but don't push it!

First one wasn't worth mucking about with as all the tyres were low so put 4 new tyres on.

Second one was repaired by Toyota (including cleaning the gunk out), they charged me, then refunded once I discovered it was supposed to be free!! (On their website!)

Dave

Well having seen what the puncturesafe looks like on the inside of a tyre (After I had to get it replace due to a smegging shoulder puncture! :angry:), I believe the guff they say about it only being able to fill in a 6mm hole maximum as the stuff is like wallpaper paste. Bigger holes it will just slowly leak out of, presumably leaving a nice bright blue streak :lol:
And I've proved it won't seal sidewall or shoulder punctures :crybaby:

TBH the only real problem I have with the puncturesafe is the horrible vibrations I had at speed, so if anyone does get it, make sure all wheels are super extra balanced BEFORE putting the stuff in, as you can't balance it afterwards without cleaning all the goop out of the tyre!!
If you still get vibrations, a quick and dirty solution seems to be adding more goop in until it stops vibrating at that speed; IIRC I had 2 more 'units' put in to reduce the vibration and that seems to have worked...

As for Toyota's puncture repair, they say that it is free but in my experience they are very very picky about what they will repair and 9 times out of 10 they will say the puncture is outside the 'safe' zone and can't be repaired and would you like a new tyre, sir?
The problem with us Aygo and Yaris owners is the skinny tyres mean that practically the whole tyre is outside the safe zone to them, aside from a tiny strip in the middle where, statistically, you're unlikely to ever get a puncture :lol:

Still, I used to take it down there first, get refused, then take it down the local tyre shop where they'd do it for a tenner :lol:

Edit: Forum fed on line feeds, have put them back!

• Like 1