Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Life's Little Irritations

Sagitar

When I bought the PiP I took advantage of the offer of free installation of a tethered charging point and had it fitted in my garage. The whole of that process went very well and I am delighted with the result.

Another part of the offer was free access to the Polar network until next March. I was told that I would receive a card in the post.

Not having received the card by today (nine days since the installation of the charging point). I rang the network managers and was told that they had not yet received any information from the installers (British Gas). A couple of 'phone calls seemed to sort it out and I am hopeful that I will get the card by Friday. A minor matter, but it does tend to take the gilt off the gingerbread.

Earlier, I applied to a local charging network and paid their fee for registration. They promised a card within five working days. Eleven days have passed and the card has not arrived. Yesterday I called their offices to ask what was happening. I was told that the guy who could tell me about it was not available but would give me a call back. He hasn't.

Improvements in technology are not necessarily accompanied by parallel movements in administration.

But I bet they're managing to invoice the Government for as much as they can.

Throw our tax money about with !Removed! abandon and want it wasted.

It took a long time for me to get my Polar card as British Gas made a mess of the paperwork - they ended up sending a van with the correct forms for me to sign. I have never used the card as there is nowhere local that I would want to go with a charging point apart from the Toyota dealer. As well as the card you also get access to the web site that holds the data from your charging point.

Hi Sagitar,

As you say the BG installation was carried out very efficiently. I received my Polar charge point card within a week of the installation. I would like to purchase a PIP next year but what puts me off is no spare wheel. I would be interested in what you think of your PIP. and the can of "gunge" instead of a spare wheel. I had a split tyre on my Prius after only 9000 miles, my fault it was a very miserable dark night and I hit a kerb. The AA chap said if I had not got a space saver spare wheel he would have had to call a tyre company out at my cost to fit a new tyre. Gunge would have been no good in my case. As it was at midnight I would not have thought much of waiting around for a tyre company or a car transporter to take the car home. Mrs would not have bee too happy either.

Hi Sagitar,

As you say the BG installation was carried out very efficiently. I received my Polar charge point card within a week of the installation. I would like to purchase a PIP next year but what puts me off is no spare wheel. I would be interested in what you think of your PIP. and the can of "gunge" instead of a spare wheel. I had a split tyre on my Prius after only 9000 miles, my fault it was a very miserable dark night and I hit a kerb. The AA chap said if I had not got a space saver spare wheel he would have had to call a tyre company out at my cost to fit a new tyre. Gunge would have been no good in my case. As it was at midnight I would not have thought much of waiting around for a tyre company or a car transporter to take the car home. Mrs would not have bee too happy either.

The spare is a considered risk. I don't like it a bit and have made sure that Toyota understands the level of my discomfort. The vast majority of my mileage is short local journeys, which is why the plug-in is so attractive, so on most of my journeys I am never far from home. I have considered buying a skinny and may well still do so, but I would be likely to depend on the roadside assistance (and a taxi if necessary) if something went wrong. I have a complete set of spare wheels and I would put one of those in the boot or inside the car for a long journey. It is entirely unsatisfactory in my view but I figured it was worth the risk in my circumstances. I certainly would not expect others to necessarily take the same view.

I like the PiP and the usage is working out much as I expected except that I had been expecting to be able to get at some of the local recharging points and I have not yet been able so to do in the absence of a card. Even so my average consumption is showing as 92 m.p.g. this morning. I am still on the first fill, have done about 300 mile and am three bars down on the fuel gauge.

I phoned the local network people again this afternoon and this time their promise to ring back was kept. Profuse apologies followed with a promise to get a card in the first class post today, so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks Sagitar,

I may wait for the Gen 4 to come out and see if that has a spare wheel!! I doubt it will have one. At the moment the Auris estate looks a likely purchase next year; at least you can get a spare wheel at a cost. I like toyota cars but why on earth do manufacturers not heed the needs of their customers?

Happy motoring. I appreciate your reply.

Hi Sagitar,

... I would like to purchase a PIP next year but what puts me off is no spare wheel.

... I had a split tyre on my Prius after only 9000 miles,

... The AA chap said if I had not got a space saver spare wheel he would have had to call a tyre company out at my cost to fit a new tyre. Gunge would have been no good in my case. As it was at midnight I would not have thought much of waiting around for a tyre company or a car transporter to take the car home. Mrs would not have bee too happy either.

The spare is a considered risk. I don't like it a bit and have made sure that Toyota understands the level of my discomfort.

... I have considered buying a skinny and may well still do so, but I would be likely to depend on the roadside assistance (and a taxi if necessary) if something went wrong.

...I like the PiP ... my average consumption is showing as 92 m.p.g. this morning. I am still on the first fill, have done about 300 mile and am three bars down on the fuel gauge.

I dearly wanted a PIP too. I drove a converted plugin around 6 years ago and often got 1000-1500 miles on a tankful! (although the Gen 2 had a bigger fuel tank [about 2 gal] and the conversion had an EV range of almost 40 miles).

Currently, I do short local trips first thing, again at lunch time, and again in the evening (OAPs taxi!) - it would so work for me.

Also, a good way to get reasonable equipment and sensible 15" wheels - another message that's just not getting through to Toyota.

What really got my goat was the tiny firm that did the conversion managed to fit a much higher capacity Battery under the boot floor and still leave room for the space saver. It hadn't occurred to me as the remotest possibility that a firm with all Toyota's technical resources would fail to do the same.

I recently read on one of these forums about a PIP owner who had a puncture late at night and the gunge ran out of the hole in the tyre. He was 3 miles from home, but waited 3 hours for recovery and got home at 2 am next day!

In the morning he had to leave the car jacked up while he took 2 taxi rides to take his wheel to a tyre shop.

Before I finally settled on my 'ordinary' T3, I started to think in terms of using a roof box for the spare (then could have a proper full sized one!) for the one or two long journeys I do where I couldn't get my luggage and a space saver in the boot, but I also plan some pan-Europe trips in a year or two, but then cursed myself for even daring to think this - -it would wipe out the rest of the years advantages at a stroke!

Yeah, it's stupid as the kind of puncture a can-o-goop will fix is one that you can probably over-inflate the tyre and get to a repair place or somesuch rather than waste time changing tyres!

I'd say half of the punctures I've had are ones that a tyre place won't repair and thus one that gunk won't help with either. Heck, I had some puncturesafe tyre sealant put in all my tyres and the first puncture of the season I get? Right in the £^&%$'# corner of the tyre! :angry:

Even a space-saver is more useful vs a sidewall puncture than the goop.

It's a shame those airless tyres I saw on Tomorrow's World oh so many years ago have made so little progress!

A lot of mobile elevating work platforms have what look like air filled tyres but actually, they are foam filled ( with tiny air bubbles). They are perfectly ok for low speeds. I don't think that they have perfected the high speeds yet and so we wont see airless tyres on conventional cars for some time to come. More is the pity.

Well they demo'd one on TW that was rated up to 90mph. Main problem was that it made the ride as bad as a silly-ly-low-profile tyre and at speed it was so noisy you couldn't hear the presenter guy talking :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links