Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does A Rav4.2 1Azfe Petrol 2.0L Vvti Have An Egr Valve?

LeeADAB

I ask because I am sure that I read somewhere that it does but now can't find any info. I did think it was just diesels. If it does I will plan to clean it at some point just to keep things maintained.

Cheers,

Lee

Just had a look in the you know who manual and 2000 and earlier models did have. Nice pdf that Don , think I'll print it.

Just had a look in the you know who manual and 2000 and earlier models did have. Nice pdf that Don , think I'll print it.

Didnae know petrols EVER had or required them......learning and living I am.

Yes - the PDF shows the closed circuit breathing system that minimises the release of hydrocarbons to atmosphere. Many petrol engines have an EGR system - the science is different for petrols and diesels but the end result is still the same - a reduction in the exhaust emission of oxides of nitrogen to atmosphere (NOX). Few would have a catalytic converter, DPF or EGR installed from choice on their car, but manufacturers need to fit such devices in order to meet ever tightening emission legislation. MOT regulations have tightened and will tighten further to ensure that these devices, if fitted by the manufacturer - are still fitted and are fully operational.

• 8 years later...

Hello everyone. This is an old post so you may not be around any longer, but, I’m trying to help a friend out. He has a 2003 Rav 4 2.0 that has an idling problem as it warms up. After about five minutes or so it will choke down. High mileage. 275,000 but otherwise runs good. No Schroeder valve so replaced fuel pump and strainer. No change. New chains and components. Removed throttle body, cleaned, and replaced idle air control valve. Has been recommended I clean egr valve but can’t find and indications are there isn’t one. Please help. 

41 minutes ago, Redviper33 said:

Hello everyone. This is an old post so you may not be around any longer, but, I’m trying to help a friend out. He has a 2003 Rav 4 2.0 that has an idling problem as it warms up. After about five minutes or so it will choke down. High mileage. 275,000 but otherwise runs good. No Schroeder valve so replaced fuel pump and strainer. No change. New chains and components. Removed throttle body, cleaned, and replaced idle air control valve. Has been recommended I clean egr valve but can’t find and indications are there isn’t one. Please help. 

As per the first couple of posts - no there isn't an EGR valve on a 4.2 petrol (and a 2003 is a 4.2).

Check the inlet air temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor.