Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 4.2 Corroding Alloys - Replaced!

LeeADAB

Thought I'd repost this after the forum lost my recent postings. Couldn't remember exactly what I wrote but luckily Google had cached my first post so I can just copy it off that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone with corroding alloys on their 2000-2003 4.2's these may be an option for you if you want to replace them.

post-105906-0-31844200-1385643464_thumb.

Although all my 2003 standard alloys were replaced under warranty back in 2006 some have now corroded to the point that they needed either refurbishing or replacing.

This wheel was the worst example.....

post-105906-0-88817700-1385643506_thumb.

post-105906-0-18550000-1385643523_thumb.

post-105906-0-86414600-1385643535_thumb.

Refurbishing (Strip and Powder Coat) quotes were around the £280 mark for four alloys. If I went down the route of replacing I wanted a style that looked like it was "meant to be there" and not look out of place.

After a LOT of researching for a suitable style I finally went for these.....

post-105906-0-13689700-1385643577_thumb.

I was lucky enough to find this set of 5 which meant I could replace all including the spare.

They are for a Lexus IS220 and are in superb condition.
They were a perfect replacement as they were matched my original 7" x 16" with an offset of ET45 and my 215/70/16 tyres could be swapped straight onto them. The Lexus has a slightly heavier kerbweight too so no worries about strength.
I'm really really pleased with them and it's better than spending nearly £300 just getting the old ones looking nice again.

post-105906-0-63916000-1385643633_thumb.

post-105906-0-60398000-1385643648_thumb.

(Info for Firemac........Inc Toyota Centre caps/Wheel nuts/Set of Four Locking Nuts.....£155) VERY HAPPY!! :) :) :)

• Like 1

See youz Inglish misers min.......how the blazes did you get them for chip shop money, Lee........?

Much as the "original replacements" have had 7 years to rot, they really are in woeful order. Wife's Ronal alloys were in great nick before I let Hoovie loose on them.......now even better nick.

• Like 2

Cheers Kev :) very kind of you to say so!

Lee .... £155 for that lot? What a Steal! (lets hope there is not an iS200 somewhere on bricks with the owner wondering where his wheels have gone!)

Remember the 476S ;)

Cheers Hoovie - Yes thanks for the reminder for the 476S. Will get some.

The start price was a bargain £150 on a well known auction site and only one other bid was placed. LUCKY ME!! He had them on his 4.1 RAV and was selling them due to selling the car. That's why he even had the Toyota centre caps which weren't listed in the auction. Double LUCKY!

I did get the impression that he really thought they would sell for more and he said he paid "A LOT" more than that when he got them. HEY HO!!

I do like a bargain!!

• Like 1

Cheers Hoovie - Yes thanks for the reminder for the 476S. Will get some.

The start price was a bargain £150 on a well known auction site and only one other bid was placed. LUCKY ME!! He had them on his 4.1 RAV and was selling them due to selling the car. That's why he even had the Toyota centre caps which weren't listed in the auction. Double LUCKY!

I did get the impression that he really thought they would sell for more and he said he paid "A LOT" more than that when he got them. HEY HO!!

I do like a bargain!!

Another Day Another Bargain........lucky big #### !

A very nice bargain indeed!

Hoovie refurbished my alloys which were almost at the point of no return and a cracking job he did on them. Many thanks Hoovie.

I will have to spend a bit more time on that popular auction site if there are bargains like that to be had.

The going rate for a proper acid dip/strip and paint/powdercoat is around £240- £280.

The finish on mine if properly looked after should easily last ten years. The car may well be dead by then!

Those wheels really suit the Rav. :thumbsup:

Balderdash Paul.....have sent PM to Lee offering £156.00 for these completely mismatched wheels.........no reply yet........manners......

Hutchie my man, I agree it ain't cheap!

Hoovie refurbed my four roadwheels. The spare was in "as new" condition and still had the original tyre on it and looks unused.

That's why I have gazummped Kev's offer and offered Lee £157.00 and a Mars Bar for his completely mismatched wheels!

• Like 1

Fine Arfa......phone somebody else next time short for yer mortgage payment......

Balderdash Paul.....have sent PM to Lee offering £156.00 for these completely mismatched wheels.........no reply yet........manners......

They look fine to me…… :nerd: …..Do I detect a hint of jealousy ? :g:

They look fine to me…… :nerd: …..Do I detect a hint of jealousy ? :g:

More balderdash.....well.......mibbbe just a wee bit.......

Out of interest ... There is an identical set to Lee's on eBay for £150 Buy it Now.

Well, I say identical ... They are the same pattern (which really do suit the RAV) but are in even worse condition then his original RAV4 ones. But at £37.50 a wheel, even at that conditon, they are not bad value for genuine OEM wheels on a fairly rare fitment.

Mine were replaced just over 5 years ago (not long before 3 year warranty ran out) and are showing rust.

Wonder if toyota employ metallurgists?