Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Restricted Imports

barmyscotty

hi my 1994 st205 gt4 3sgte is def an import but has mph on speedo. does it still clock mileage in kilometers or miles. how would i know. also i believe it has 255 bhp but been told they are limited or restricted. how can i tell this and how do i go about de-restricting and getting the full power out of it. many thanks all you kind informed celica lovers

Between 1998 and 2004 cars sold in the Japanese domestic market had their power limited to 276hp and their top speed limited to 180kph - the top speed was limited by the use of speed limiters. The speed limitation still applies.

Also cars built for the Japanese market may have less power due to stricter emissions controls.

so my 1994 celica should have full power then and is it right the imports have 255bhp instead of i think it is 243bhp thanks for your input.

• 4 months later...

cud be a lil wrong, but jap cars are limited to 180kmh, and i think the speed limiter is a little yellow tag that you pull off in a celica lol, yeah jdm is 250 ish, 280 bhp is easily got with a jdm gt4, andd , i dont no why, but iv swapped mph clock for kmh clocks and they where both correct, gps test app on your phoine will give you a good indication if u doing 60mph, all jap cars are restricted, but honda , toyota, subura , nissan an mitsi sports car are notorious for being ***** easy to remove the limiter

btw scott, my mate had exact same car as you, had it tuned 300bhp+, scooby eater, it went backwards through a tree, they can be light on the ***** end, he neglected to tune his suspension as much as he did his engine, word of caution as u already running over "stock" bhp, a good induction kit and exhaust will have her singing

hi there thanks for your imput where would this little yellow restriction tag be located

My old import H reg MR2 was restricted to 112mph - I have never heard of bhp being restricted, just the top speed being limited. On my ST205 the clocks were changed to mph and a box was fitted behind the instrument cluster to remove the speed limiter and clock in miles.

Believe the bhp restrictions were only for a period of six years (1998-2004), and probably after yours was manufactured.