Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hsd Display

cviclark

I am still very frustrated with the speed display on my Auris TS HSD. The analogue speedo is too far off the eyline, unclear, and too small. The digital display Trip Monitor, which is nice and clear, can be configured to read all the same information that is available on the main Touch display. This is Average Speed, MPG Average, ECO drive level, which is meaningless, elapsed time, range, but not speed.

Toyota customer relations seem to think I should have noticed this on the test drive, I did but thought the display could be re-configured to show speed, like on a Focus.

I am not bothered about the accuracy of the speedo its the clarity. I am almost sure that in the cars I owned with analogue speedo's the rev counter was on the right and the speedo on the left. Its a long time ago but this is the first time I have had a problem. My Fix It Again Tomorrow motorhome's analogue speedo Is large, clear,high in the centre, no problem.

After a Lexus and two Prius's this will be my last Toyota. I am fed up with stupid mistakes that could be rectified easlly if Toyota took customer satisfaction seriously. I am fed up with being fobbed off with silly wheels that crucify the fuel consumption and a speedo I cannot read.

With relations like Toyota Customer Relations one definitely needs freinds.

There was a thread posted about this not long ago; Assuming it didn't disappear during the server crash, have a read through that.

One user posted a link for a third-party speedo HUD module which looked pretty swish :)

Feel your pain, Ian. It's more than a niggle - having a speedometer that is clear could save your licence.

Having said that, my Jaguar has a rev counter to the left of the speedometer and that's been pretty much the norm on any car I have driven with a rev counter.

I've just handed my Prius back to the company. I shall miss the HUD.

I am hoping you can get used to the car's setup in time and then this will no longer be a niggle for you.

I have bought a Hud-e from the link given but currently can not get it to work on the Auris Hybrid. It works until EV mode comes up, which is very often ( engine stops) then goes blank. I hope Hud-e can reprogram it as although it is larger than I would like it looks to be the only. answer. If Toyota cared I am sure they could fix this be changing the settings on the trip display. The info must be avaiable at the ODB

I do not have a mobile phone, they ruled my life when I worked and now retired have no need for one. Even if I did they would be banned from the car.

Hiya Ian do you have a smartphone? I share your concern, if so try this its fantastic https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer&hl=en :driving:

There's also a HUD app on that page called DigiHUD. I downloaded it on to my HTC Wildfire to try it and now have two HUDs :driving: his and hers.

I believe an early firmware for the SG2 (ScanGauge 2) had a similar problem with switching off on Hybrids because it also seemed to monitor if the petrol engine was running.

On my SG2 the Vehicle Speed OBD-2 PID (Parameter ID) shows the speed measured before the EU regulation mangling that is presented on your speedometer. I would guess the HUD-e would be the same?

Hope the HUD-e developers can update the firmware.

• Like 2

Hi

I have not seen the scangauge any idea what mods they made to get to read speed in EV mode?

I hope the Hud-e is the answer if it can be re-programmed but it should be a lot easier for Toyota to change the firmware so the trip display, showing Eco drive level in the pic, can show MPH. Nobody knows what information Eco drive level imparts to the driver anyway. The fact is they do not care enough about customer feedback to make it happen.

post-133586-0-54190100-1385912742_thumb.

If we can find the right address, could all start writing letters to them to get them to do this ;)

Or maybe Kingo has a mate who works in the PR department who can pass such things along...? :naughty:

All that Toyota would do is to pass correspondence onto the appropriate importer - in our case Toyota GB.

As Toyota don't actively monitor Toyota Owners Club forums, perhaps the best place to raise queries directly with Toyota GB would be the Toyota Blog - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/home - and access the Community pages.

Unless substantial numbers of owners raise queries directly with Toyota, nothing will happen.

Hi

I have contacted them via the blog and phone and e-mail on numerous occasions both before and after purchase. The answer is always the same. They are not technical, have little knowledge of the type or model other than what is printed in the brochure and can not put you in touch with anybody who is technical. They defend the decisions made by marketing by saying it is in response to customer demand yet have no way of knowing how many people buy something else. I very nearly cancelled an order because they would not supply the car on 16" wheels. When I found a dealer that would I could not get insurance as Toyota claimed it was mot homologated for 16" wheels. The ICON is but the Excel only available on 17" which crucifies the fuel consumption. They then pull the we do not make bespoke cars rubbish. I bought my Lexus in Belgium.because of Toyota GB's intransigence 14 years ago. Ran up against them again when I bought my Gen3 Prius which could not have reversing sensors (totally illogical).. As I have said if anybody else made a decent hybrid (the Honda is awful) I would go elsewhere. I buy Toyota despite Toyota GB not because of them. The press reports on the Auris HSD TS have all been on the ICON while the pictures have been of the Excel. Like the Prius Gen 3 none of the reports mentioned the PWR mode and all rubbished it. As I have yet to see another Auris TS HSD outside a showroom I guess it is not selling well.so maybe they should be monitoring the ownersclub.

They have yet to learn company car owner drive what they are given, some people buy with there hard earned cash and have a choice..

• Like 1

Or maybe Kingo has a mate who works in the PR department who can pass such things along...? :naughty:

I don't have any mates :lol:

Anybody wanting to give information back to the manufacturer should write to them directly. Forums are not actively monitored so what is said on here will not be seen. If they get sufficient complaints they will do something about it, but it would have to be in sufficient numbers

Kingo :thumbsup:

No idea how it was solved on the SG2 other than I read somewhere that it was a firmware change. As it is their commercial product, I don't know know whether they would would be willing to say how they fixed it? http://www.scangauge.com/about/

It is funny how often this feature of the petrol engine stopping catches out these after market add-ons, I can think of few, the Philips Daytime Running Lights, an Android app that I forget the name of, ScanGauge II, and now this HUD-e gadget.

The DigiHUD app works in or out of the car, it runs off satellites not the car engine. I was doing 2 mph walking to the car with it on.

It is funny how often this feature of the petrol engine stopping catches out these after market add-ons,

Do they get caught out by cars with the stop/start feature?

They seem to be more common than hybrids.

The Philips product would as it monitored the engine's vibration! :bangin:

For OBD2 based gadgets, it would depend on what Parameter ID (PID) they were using to monitor when the car was "running". There aren't many standard PIDs, so unless there are well known non-standard PIDs, I'd assume they would also encounter the same problems as Hybrids.

I have been in touch with the makers of the aftermarket HUD, regarding Toy Hybrids and engine stops...

looks like it could be a saving grace for disgruntled Auris buyers

Hi Barry,

We have supplied for Toyota hybrids before. For operation with
these models the RPM zero blanking option needs to be switched off - can be done
before despatch to save going through the programming procedure. This stops the
speed display from turning off when the engine turns off.
Speed info is still
available on the OBD system allowing the speedo to keep working. If the RPM
indicator is used on hybrids it will only be active while the engine is
running.

http://hud-e.com/shop/page/1?sessid=7BCluy6kTnnicybOxfqGSOnYKpHWZ9JOh0qaKRddwHsQpsKzXJMNuep3xSRKT82m&shop_param=
Best regards
Ian
Burnley

• 1 month later...

Update on hud-e. IT WORKS WELL. hud-e returned the unit re-programmed for the Auris HSD and it works really well. Its simple to fit but needs to be positioned with care. It does not need a film on the screen, goes to sleep after a couple of mins to preserve Battery. Its a surprise just how inaccurate, as well as being hard to see, the Hybrid speedo is on the Auris. The petrol one I drove was fine. If you want a HUD try the hud-e.

"Its a surprise just how inaccurate the Hybrid speedo is on the Auris."

Current UK legislation dictates that the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed, and for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.
For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

Although GPS devices are more accurate than the typical car's speedometer, there must be a degree of error in the GPS device..

I suspect that the hybrid speedometers - whilst still well within the bounds of the stupid laws quoted above - are deliberately set to read higher than usual in order to fool drivers into going less quickly, and thus (in most circumstances) more economically. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Exactly, my speedo is out at all speeds by various amounts when compared to the GPS on my phone. And I am sure that GPS has to be accurate within a specific distance, something like 1 to 1.5 meters when it has the best signal, so on an open road with good signal from multiple satellites it should be very accurate, in some built up city with tall buildings all around, possibly not as much.

Anyway, at 30 my GPS fluctuates between 25 and 27. At 40 it usually sits around 36, and at 70 it fluctuates between 59 and 62.

I have the argument all the time about my speedo being inaccurate, and all the allowances etc. Remember also that when the car rolls off the forecourt with brand new tyres with about 9mm tread on them, all manufacturers have to allow for those tyres wearing down. Anyone who has ever looked at changing wheel sizes will know that by changing the overall diameter of a tyre by only a few mm either way, the speedo reading will be affected either positively or negatively.

I generally find speedos over-read by 10% near as dammit.

I've fitted a hud-e the same as Ian (cviclark) and it gives the same reading as apps on my phone so I'm happy with that for now.

If you look at the "secret menu" the screen shows, apart from 12 volt Battery voltage, the speed of the car in km/h, this is about 10% less the the indicated speed on the speedo, and tally with a GPS calculated speed.

The car electronics are capable of calculating speed accurately but legislation will not allow it to be displayed, seems a bit silly really!