Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Washing.. The Power Of Ten........

CharlieFarlie

Absolutely no contact whatsoever Don, not even on the wheels. Would add that before washing

It was absolutely filthy. Re the photos, on the IPad the little icon for posting does not appear, you

know the one which shows the actual photo once posted rather than just posting a link.

If you choose IMG on Photobucket it appears as a photo not a link as you can see in your post that I tweaked... :)

Not the tools, just user error :kewlpics:

Magifoam is one of those products that actually lives up to the claims made of it... I have tried many of these miracle new foams that keep coming out but none have come close...

But be aware it is quite powerful stuff so don't mix it too strong or you will strip wax.

2 Inches in the lance bottle and a squeeze of shampoo and set the lance just above minimum.

Be sure and let it dwell ! 10 minutes is ideal..

Some foams will not shift the film from paint. But it doesn't mean the car will not benefit from the wash.. The very least it will do is remove the worst of the carp and remove salt when it down and despite the weather we have salt down here in the Worcester/Warwickshire borders...

I like the tub Liz has linked..

With it you can monitor the temperature of the water as to hot say above 40 degrees could remove localised paint repairs but only if the user was clumsy and sprayed a fine pencil jet at the car and not at a reasonable angle..

Spot on point that Charlie....."not removing the film" but the wash still worthwhile. My foam not removing the film, but now winter is here, just to get it looking as if I give a damn does me. Last winter's contactless washes really paid off when it came to light machine polishing I had planned......it got cancelled.....no requirement for it.

Dave m bodywork I have seen up close and it is purty good......he will now see same benefit of not grinding in even the damaging winter film.

That looks a cracking clean Dave,and in cold water :thumbsup:

My only other problem would be the hose been frozed when the colder temps come??

So if i wanted to wax the Rav,which i was hoping to have done today,how would be best to go about washing it now in preparartion for a winter wax??

If you choose IMG on Photobucket it appears as a photo not a link as you can see in your post that I tweaked... :)

Crickey these mods can be dang useful and informative :)

Gus

Crickey these mods can be dang useful and informative :)

Gus

Not bad ehh, and I don't delete or move stuff..... Often :eek:

• Like 1

With Warm/Hot water and Magifoam I'm removing all the crud muck and the film .... Hardly getting any spotting but that is because our water is quite soft here (So I'm told)..

Lets be honest nothing will duplicate a proper wash down with a mitt or high volume sponge and a dry off with detailing spray and a soft microfibre like we do in the better months but this is about getting as good a finish as we can during the months where hanging around outside is not an inviting prospect..

Other reason for not getting to hung up is the time it takes before the cars are filthy again..

Absolutely no contact whatsoever Don, not even on the wheels. Would add that before washing

It was absolutely filthy. Re the photos, on the IPad the little icon for posting does not appear, you

know the one which shows the actual photo once posted rather than just posting a link.

I bow to your better knowledge yet again O Great One.

I bow to your better knowledge yet again O Great One.

Every little helps... and if sharing information makes it a better experience for you and the club then it's all good :hokus-pokus:

Just think on that 5 gallon tub will weigh about 8 tonnes according to my calculations. It will also cost about a squillion quid when british gas has had their fill. Will have a try at buckets first to make sure my karcher doesn't throw up again!!!

Perhaps a slight exaggeration Donald ?

Eeee When I was younger I could have carried that container full on the end of my di...... Well you know.... Now I would have to slide ti halfway along..... :clown:

• Like 1

2 Inches in the lance bottle and a squeeze of shampoo and set the lance just above minimum.

Ok, Charlie, Not yet ordered the MagiFoam, so What Shampoo would you recommend?

I like those Tubs as well . . .but that price!! . . . And another 6 Quid for Postage!!

Well...I've gone and ordered a pressure washer and some Magifoam, the Eastern Europeans are weeping at the lost business. It will do me good to wash my own "Kev", the hand washers were charging me an extra 40% because it is a 4x4, I bet the surface area is no greater than my old Avensis Tourer.

To your credit, Ladies and Gents of the RAV forum, you have put me on the path of the self-washers! Even in the detailing section, it is the RAVers who have the knowledge and are willing to pass it on to us disciples. Great work people, I'll report on how I get on with it, I will try the winter wash routine first and then go to town next summer with waxing and sealing. As it is a new car it has that Supaguard on it, what's the crack with that stuff??

:)

Andy........consider yursell slapped on the bare legs for even allowing yourself to be conned into paying for Supacarp. See next year when we talk ye through claying a car wiff a wee dod of plasticenic stuff, then waxing wiff Collinite, only then will you realise how widdleistic Supaguard is. Granted, it is better than nothing, but only one step ahead of nothing......

Just got an image of Gus in a corner tearing up paper to relieve the boredom of this post....LOL.

• Like 2

Andy........consider yursell slapped on the bare legs for even allowing yourself to be conned into paying for Supacarp. See next year when we talk ye through claying a car wiff a wee dod of plasticenic stuff, then waxing wiff Collinite, only then will you realise how widdleistic Supaguard is. Granted, it is better than nothing, but only one step ahead of nothing......

Just got an image of Gus in a corner tearing up paper to relieve the boredom of this post....LOL.

Agree completely with BK.

Supaguard is utter excrement; just another cheapo way for dealers to add to the pittance their salesmen earn. It's the commission on this carp plus other things like over-inflated gap insurance & pre-paid service plans, which leave out many essentials, that allows the sales guys' families to eat occasionally!

Who me,never..........

I along with the silent majority on here who do not suffer from OCD and/or are time/fiscally challenged have just been cleaning my Rav.... There that has shocked you Kev :)

I used a bucket of hot water (cos my hands get cold) with some washing up liquid in and then picked up my sponge that had fallen on the floor in the garage in the last few weeks since I last used it, shook the sponge to get the leaves off it that had stuck to it and proceeded to wash the car, rinsed it using a watering can filled with rain water from the water butt and I then dried it with my grandaddys chamois.

Jobs a good un all done for a couple of weeks :)

Did I say something? Ouch! my legs are sore! I stand seriously talked to. :oops:

Obviously a lot to learn...I have. :help2: :bag:

Who me,never..........

I along with the silent majority on here who do not suffer from OCD and/or are time/fiscally challenged have just been cleaning my Rav.... There that has shocked you Kev :)

I used a bucket of hot water (cos my hands get cold) with some washing up liquid in and then picked up my sponge that had fallen on the floor in the garage in the last few weeks since I last used it, shook the sponge to get the leaves off it that had stuck to it and proceeded to wash the car, rinsed it using a watering can filled with rain water from the water butt and I then dried it with my grandaddys chamois.

Who me,never..........

Incredible attention to detail Gus, can you recommend a particular washing up liquid ? I'm sure the mods will be keen to move this post to the detailing section where everybody can benefit from your expertise…... :crazy:

Who me,never..........

Who me,never..........

Incredible attention to detail Gus, can you recommend a particular washing up liquid ? I'm sure the mods will be keen to move this post to the detailing section where everybody can benefit from your expertise…... :crazy:

The higher the salt content the better!!

• Like 1

Gus I have a couple of brillo pads and an axe which you could use to get stubborn bird poo off with ? :dontgetit:

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Charlie :) but I have my own, even have an axe but I use it for chopping wood, I found that birds don't poo on my Rav, they prefer shiny objects :)

Yeh but my axe is sharp.. Ideal for said bird poo... You really have to be careful when selecting an axe for bird poo removal..... :P

I like those Tubs as well . . .but that price!! . . . And another 6 Quid for Postage!!

BUMP! . . . Just so it doesn't get lost in the hilarity

BUMP! . . . Just so it doesn't get lost in the hilarity

Yes, not cheap... I guess postage expensive due to size...

You can buy just the taps... so probably not difficult for you guys to make one yourselves..

( especially if you remember programs like Blue Peter etc ) lol...