Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Cutting Out

edbird

Hello to all,

I am having an intermittent problem with my avensis 2 litre diesel 1AD FTV, the fault is as follows...

when the car has warmed up and when the car is idling it just randomly cuts out, sometimes i start the car again it starts fine, other times i have to start 3 or 4 times where the car

starts each time but then cuts out again. the problem can be experienced sometimes 5 or more times in a day and other times its ok for a day or two.

I am also experiencing a flat spot on acceleration which again is intermittent, it can happen at low rpm or high rpm but usually when accelerating from stationary or low rpm.

have been to more mechanics than i've had hot dinners and car has just come out of toyota after been there for 2 days, they experienced car cutting out and acceleration problem but they dont know what the the problem is, no error codes and 4 different diagnostic readers from various mechanics.

Have had oil change, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and egr valve changed have been told by toyota injectors are fine. I noticed the other day when car was playing up, it cut off and when i started it again i put my foot on the accelerator and rev counter stuck at around 1500 rpm, took my foot off and pressed again and stuck at around same point...not sure if thats any help

love my toyota but driving me crazy...any help would be greatly appreciated!

:help2:

Strange the garages can't find the problem...When EGR was changed, after problem occurred or before? Always is good to clean SCV and MAF sensor.

thanks for quick reply,

i changed egr valve after problem started, have cleaned MAF sensor but have not yet tried SCV...although i was told that fuel pressure was ok on car by toyota...would a fuel pressure test show up faulty suction control valves?

thanks for quick reply,

...would a fuel pressure test show up faulty suction control valves?

I don't know but it could not be completely faulty, just get stuck from time to time. On 1AD-FTV engine is just one and easy accessible to remove and clean. I clean it by carb spray and fast touching pins by wires from the Battery (causing clicking)

tried egr valve again seems ok...was only just replaced so was thinking could be a faulty sensor causing the egr to stick from time to time?....any way to test sensor and would it be worth testing if intermittent problem?

this is driving me intermittently mental!

:(

egr maf and scv don't cut out car completely

id be looking at crank sensor poss even cam sensor sometimes this happens

id say it has went into a "safe" fuel map aka limp home mode if it has maxxed out at 1500 rpm

has eml light came on ? chances are it has stored a fault code

should still be in ecu memory unless it has been cleared or Battery has been disconnected for 10 mins.

I use a £10 bluetooth elm327 and the torque app on my phone to talk to my avensis.

talking of Battery its always a good thing to check connections and earths too.

some older cars show these symptoms due to worn keyswitch or relays

seen this in a sticky so I am corrected

"Make sure recall work has been carried out. If the engine intermittently cuts out and the fault cannot be diagnostically traced it may be due to a faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch. On D-4D, cutting out can also be caused by a build of of salts on a hot wire in the mass airflow sensor."

Thanks Boboo,

so far i have tried:

- oil change
- oil filter
- fuel filter
- air filter
- maf sensor clean
- egr check and clean (new egr)
- checked for vacuum leaks
- injectors checked
- fuel pressure checked
- Battery terminals checked (new battery)

no lights or codes, to date have had total of 6 diagnostic machines on car + got myself

x 2 different ELM327 bluetooth dongles and torque pro app for Android phone that i have

connected (although doesnt seem to read fuel trim or 02 sensor data)

will look into:

- faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch
- crank sensor
- cam sensor

will share my findings

May aswell try the throttle flap?? Could be sticking??

• 2 weeks later...

just quick update..

just waiting for mechanic to check car (2 weeks waiting list)

will check for

- faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch
- crank sensor
- cam sensor
- scv
- throttle flap

however in last week noticed car is not starting from cold straight away, takes 2 or 3 attempts(starts but then cuts out) ....if i give it some acceleration whilst starting will start and stay running 1st time.. but just!

starting to think car will pack up before i get it to mechanic :(

will report back as soon as i get some more info

• 2 weeks later...

ok...got car back today and mechanic could not find problem, dont think i will get another toyota again :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I having same problem on Avesis 2003 4D engine. Engine cuts off and their on and off accerations

Have changed

All new injectors

New fuel pump plus filter 

New plugs original

The diagonisti shows camshaft sensor circuit A

Should I also change this. Am spending alot and can't see changes on the vehicle

Any advice

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, Google search brought me here while I was looking to solve a problem described by OP with the same symptoms. Most likely, after a decade, @edbird sold his car, leaving the Toyota brand all behind, but I need to thank him for starting this thread.

The problem was SCV, and I thank @avensisd4d786 for mentioning it. There are plenty on eBay, but you need to buy a genuine Denso one, local dealer priced it at £475 + VAT which is insane. I managed to buy one from Latvia and replace the faulty one. 

Also, I would like to drop a YouTube link here which was helpful.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:00 AM, MrKaon said:

Hello everyone, Google search brought me here while I was looking to solve a problem described by OP with the same symptoms. Most likely, after a decade, @edbird sold his car, leaving the Toyota brand all behind, but I need to thank him for starting this thread.

The problem was SCV, and I thank @avensisd4d786 for mentioning it. There are plenty on eBay, but you need to buy a genuine Denso one, local dealer priced it at £475 + VAT which is insane. I managed to buy one from Latvia and replace the faulty one. 

Also, I would like to drop a YouTube link here which was helpful.

Thanks.

Thanks @MrKaon for this, where did you source it in Latvia? I'm in the market injectors and I wonder if they may carry them.

3 hours ago, Jim-p said:

Thanks @MrKaon for this, where did you source it in Latvia? I'm in the market injectors and wonder if they may carry them.

This is the eBay Seller.

• Thanks 1