Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Rattle At Low Revs

MrJohnWilson

Hi All, Would be grateful for any help and advice on following problem on 04 Verso T3 2.0 D4D.

The problem is a loud vibrating sound like an air drill coming from the timing pulleys area when at idle speed of about 800 rpm. Ive noticed that when I press the accelerator and increase revs to around 1000rpm that the noise stops.

I lifted the bonnet and waited for the noise to start when I started the engine from cold. As usual when the engine was cold, it ran at the slightly higher speed and there was no bad noise. After about 5 mins when the engine had warmed up a bit, the revs dropped down to about 800rpm and the vibrating noise started. I noticed that the outside timing belt started to bounce about quite a bit now, compared to being very smooth before at the higher revs. Its a very "Tinny" sound and am fairly sure its coming from around the timing belts area. One of the pulleys has like an outside cover over it which I can move by hand about a quarter of a turn, and Im wondering if the belt is rattling it when its bouncing about.

Is this just the idle speed being too low or am I looking at something more serious. I was wondering if adjusting the idle speed up a bit is the answer as a quick fix, and how to do this. There is no other apparent problems and the car and engine run well at all times although sometimes it turns over a bit longer before starting up.

Any suggestions as to whats wrong would be brilliant. Many Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the exact same problem on the exact same car .............in my case its actually the ac pump thats causing it.the ac stopped working about 7 months ago and the rattle started a week or so later.as the car has 129k on the clock and a new pump is rather expensive im just putting up with the noise. sorry i cant help but your not alone.

• Like 1

Hi dave1000s

Thanks for the reply. I am taking the car in to my local mechanic tomorrow to have a look at it. I will pass on the information to him about the ac pump. Now that you mention it, I thought that the air con wasn't working a few days ago and the windows where harder to de-mist. I've been turning the heater up to 24 but keeping the fan speed low which appears to keep the engine idle speed up just enough to stop the rattle on the short journeys to work. Its not helping the fuel economy no doubt but the rattle stops which is good enough for me. The car has 116k on it now, so like you im not thrilled about spending loads on it.

I'll post back what happens after the mechanic has a look and see what he says.

• Like 1

Well it was a good call, and the A/C pump was indeed the problem.

The mechanic put a smaller belt on which just went round the power steering pump and completely done away with the air con, which has stopped the rattling altogether. Happy enough for £40 and still have the option to sort it out later if I want but somehow I dont think I will be bothering.

Thanks Dave, you probably saved me a few quid by getting the guy to look in the right place to start with. Have a great christmas.

thats good to hear John...........will look into that fix myself

same to you mate merry christmas

• 4 months later...