Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bmw Engined Toyota's

dave.m

Looks like the whole thing has now started, does not say when to be fitted to the RAV4, THATS THE CONNECTION, IT IS

GOING INTO A RAV4 SO NO NEED TO BE MODERATED TO THE GENERAL "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" FORUM.

Toyota Verso gets BMW diesel

MPV is the first Toyota to get a BMW diesel engine as part of a wider tie-up between the two firms
toyota-verso-1_0.jpg
The Verso's new 1.6-litre BMW diesel engine produces 110bhp

user-16-profile_photo.jpg

1 December 2013 11:02pm

The Toyota Verso is to get the option of a 1.6-litre BMW diesel engine, the first move in a technical collaboration signed by the two manufacturers in December 2011.

The
Verso 1.6 D-4D, which goes into production in January 2014 at Toyota’s
Adapazari facility in Turkey, is powered by a BMW turbodiesel engine
that develops 110bhp. A peak torque figure of199lb ft is produced
between 1750 and 2250rpm.

The Euro 5 emissions reulation-compliant unit is built at BMW’s engine facility in Austria and is also used in the BMW 1-series and the Mk2 Mini.
Toyota says the Verso 1.6 D-4D is rated at 119g/km of CO2 and also that
it needed a smaller capacity diesel engine to properly compete in the
European market.

Gerald Killman, who led the development of the
BMW engine transplant, told Autocar that his team at Toyota Motor Europe
in Belgium had to engineer new engine mounts and a dual-mass flywheel
and design a new gearbox housing.

However, he said that the
biggest technical challenge was creating the “electronics interface”
between the BMW engine and Toyota car. Toyota also engineered a new
stop-start system for the engine.

Because the Verso’s basic
bodywork structure was unchanged, Killman said that engineering work on
minimising the engine’s noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) was not as
extensive as it would have been had the engine been installed into a new
structure.

The wider collaboration between Toyota and BMW
includes a feasibility study for a jointly developed sports car
platform, work on lightweight vehicle bodies, the undertaking of
research on lithium-air batteries and the development of a fuel-cell system.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-verso-gets-bmw-diesel

Interesting article Dave, is was of the opinion that the original idea was for BMW to use Toyotas hybrid expertise and adapt existing power units in to their cars, maybe not…….

It was a quid-pro-quo if I remember correctly, BMW get access to hybrid technology and in return Toyota get the diesel tech.

As far as I recall it is a three pronged approach: 1. BMW get access to Toyota's hybrid technology, 2. Toyota get access to BMW's diesel technology, and 3. both companies explore joint sports car development.

Think it is further reaching than just the sharing of technology - in order to meet the tightened CO2 emissions being introduced between 2015 and 2020, and avoid the financial penalties for missing the CO2 targets, manufacturers can create a 'pool' to share the targets. So Toyota and BMW could also be looking to create such a pool between them, and jointly meet the emissions targets.

Toyota have designed the DMF though............

I hope that is a joke!

Genuinely cannae get too excited aboot this, when we have a posting the other day from gjnorthall claiming some BMW owners moaning about 20mpg FGS......AND THAT IN A ONE SERIES !!!

I hope that is a joke!

No, read the blurb, it's half way down the main body of text.

Genuinely cannae get too excited aboot this, when we have a posting the other day from gjnorthall claiming some BMW owners moaning about 20mpg FGS......AND THAT IN A ONE SERIES !!!

Everyone's got their horror stories about particular marques. BK.

I had had 2 BMW's. a 325 & a 520, both M-Sports. They were brilliant cars that gave extremely good mpg despite being driven very "enjoyably" - never fell below 35 mpg and averaged high 30's/low 40's.

I think that MrT's tie-up with BMW is a master stroke commercially & technically.

Everyone's got their horror stories about particular marques. BK.

I had had 2 BMW's. a 325 & a 520, both M-Sports. They were brilliant cars that gave extremely good mpg despite being driven very "enjoyably" - never fell below 35 mpg and averaged high 30's/low 40's.

I think that MrT's tie-up with BMW is a master stroke commercially & technically.

Wullsee, Jim, wullsee......

I hope that is a joke!

No, read the blurb, it's half way down the main body of text.

In the words of Private Fraser, " Wurr doooomed" :laughing:

Nothing to worry about.............who has ever fitted one recently? Nobody.................

**Waits for the incoming torrent***

Nothing to worry about.............who has ever fitted one recently? Nobody.................

**Waits for the incoming torrent***

Quite true Kingo, that occurred to me too but I didn't want to be the first to tempt fate by saying so............

Well assuming they are redesigning the DMF from scratch and not just reusing, hopefully they will use what they have learned and beef it up and make it more robust, in which case maybe it'll be better! :D

Personally I just hope the turbo is more reliable than on normal BMWs!! :unsure:

It'll be interesting to see what the driving characteristics of the beamer engine are compared to a normal D4D tho'; The german engines I've played with tend to peak very quickly and have a lower RPM ceiling whereas most D4D's I've driven have had quite a flat torque curve across the range and a higher RPM ceiling.

A Rav 4.4.5, "SR220" model would grab my attention.

I could then maybe forgive the interior.

Well assuming they are redesigning the DMF from scratch and not just reusing, hopefully they will use what they have learned and beef it up and make it more robust, in which case maybe it'll be better! :D Personally I just hope the turbo is more reliable than on normal BMWs!! :unsure: It'll be interesting to see what the driving characteristics of the beamer engine are compared to a normal D4D tho'; The german engines I've played with tend to peak very quickly and have a lower RPM ceiling whereas most D4D's I've driven have had quite a flat torque curve across the range and a higher RPM ceiling.

I think they have already done that with the DMF, when did you last hear of a failure on a current model?

We get the engines but do we get all the German ancilleries? We will have to wait and find out I suppose. It will have a Bosch system no doubt but not sure about the turbo and bits n bobs

Kingo :thumbsup:

Did anyone see that BBC Watchdog episode, shown at end June I think about the BMW drive chains breaking , wrecking the engines, and BMW denying all responsibility? I did a set of wheels for a guy on his 2 year old 3 series and he was wantng to get the corrosion sorted (see, not just Japanses cars ;) ) before he sold it as he wanted shot, mostly due to the engine report he saw.

Frying pan into fire with engine reputation possibly, and just when the faith is getting restored into the 2.2D as well.

Yeah, to be expected I guess; I remember the Yaris Mk2 and Aygo having all sorts of silly niggles when they first came out!

Now all we need is BMW to turn over their engine production to LR - OH NO!!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links