Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.3 Rear Foglight

raverchris

I have a broken lens on the nearside rear bumper. It is a rear foglight housing (no bulb) but I believe it has to be intact for MOT. Dealer can only supply the whole unit £91, but I only need the lens, which can be removed using a hot air gun to soften the adhesive. Found one at an online used spares place for £35 but after ordering got email saying no good as lens cracked. Anybody else experienced this problem and solved it, or just bitten the bullet and replaced the whole unit?

If the lamp is non functioning, maybe a carefully shaped piece of transluscent [or even opaque] red acrylic glued on?

The MOT regulations require a red fog lamp on the centre or offside of the rear - it's not required on the nearside. Therefore if the nearside lamp has it's bulb removed - the system will pass the MOT - i.e. no rush to get a new lamp. Strictly speaking, a cracked lens shouldn't cause a fail anyway (provided no white light is showing) and neither should lens repair tape if applied properly. However theres one bit in the regulations about a lamp needing to be in good condition so some testers might give an advisory and a real stickler might fail if the nearside lamp was operable.

Best outcome.

Gj, I think if it is fitted it has to be working? Depends how pedantic the MOTer is.

Unless there are actually bits of the red lens missing, could you not piece together with superglue? Should hardly notice. Otherwise a breaker's yard...

Chris

Cannae see that solving yer woes, Chris.......it is indeed reflective on one siide, and by virtue of that will be totally opaque.......? Fog light bulb no shine through it surely..........?

No bulb in the nearside, so no light to shine through, its just like a dummy lamp innit?

Confused of Cheshire

I paid up and had the unit replaced! :crybaby:

Well done David......correct answer :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Never knew it was a quiz........

• Like 1

Never knew it was a quiz........

C'mon, BK. Keep up!!