Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Announce First Model To Use New Bmw Engine

Devon Aygo

my old crappy rover 75 diesel had a bmw 2.0 engine fitted,rest of car was garbage but engine didn't burn a drop of oil even at 200k

Aww man, I really don't want to drive a Toyota with a BMW engine in it. I know they engineers are great; its just their drivers I don't warm to.

Aww man, I really don't want to drive a Toyota with a BMW engine in it. I know they engineers are great; its just their drivers I don't warm to.

You are so right mate BMW = !Removed! Minded Wa*k**s :-)

But ..... they do make a better diesel engine than Toyota at present :-( its hard to admit but true!

How does the 1.6 Diesel engine compare on power, emissions & more importantly torque to the current 2 litre D4D?

I guess they will eventually get round to fitting it into the Avensis & Avensis Tourer.

Offering it as an option in the Auris can't come soon enough, especially in the tourer as in my opinion, a fully loaded Auris Tourer needs something more than a 1.4 diesel.

But ..... they do make a better diesel engine than Toyota at present :-( its hard to admit but true!

BMW have had their own issues with diesels over the years.

When Opel/Vx put the BMW 2.5 into the Omega they had a lot of failures. I know a chap that had 2 new engines inside 6 months.

On their own cars problems with turbo swirl flaps failing & being ingested ..

& EGR, DMF & DPF issues like any modern turbo-diesel.

Yeah, my biggest reservations are their reputation for turbo failure, but although the BMW engines are generally better than Toyota's on paper, I find the BMW diesels to be very peaky.

The D4D's tend to have a flatter torque curve, which I prefer more as they don't suddenly surge and make for a much smoother drive.

Of course Toyota may tune them to be more Toyota-re :)

How does the 1.6 Diesel engine compare on power, emissions & more importantly torque to the current 2 litre D4D?

I guess they will eventually get round to fitting it into the Avensis & Avensis Tourer.

Offering it as an option in the Auris can't come soon enough, especially in the tourer as in my opinion, a fully loaded Auris Tourer needs something more than a 1.4 diesel.

In some markets the 2.0 D4D is still offered in the Auris - as is the MMT gearbox.

The agreement with BMW on diesel engines covers both a 1.6 and a 2.0 litre diesel.

In some markets the 2.0 D4D is still offered in the Auris - as is the MMT gearbox.

The agreement with BMW on diesel engines covers both a 1.6 and a 2.0 litre diesel.