Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Rav 4 Burning Oil?!?

principia

Charlie........regardless what yer wife says, you're a very nice person. Thanks for at least mostly clearing this up........yet again ah was watching our cars depreciate very quickly due to misinformation.

Don't know about that Kev, there's an 2006 T180 at a dealers near me reduced to £9250 from £10.5k

Guess if you never go on forums you wouldn't know anything about the possible issues.

Absolutely right Paul.... And that is why we have so many new members baffled at why they have bought the seemingly most reliable brand on the market to find themselves with major or potential major problems..

9250 you say ? Ruddy bargain eh.........................

I have had discussions too. It seems this bulletin is more about stopping dealers from ripping a 150 engine out IF oil consumption were to be reported. In this case they would only add the newer pistons and rings from the 4.4 (although another set from the early 150 might cure it). Yes indeed, the 4.4 has different pistons and rings and looking at Guy's, it also has black plastic cam covers. Don't forget these 4.4 engines need to take this engine to Euro VI so minor tweeks are inevitable. It would also be unneccessary to change to a 3/4 engine on the 150 as it incorporates all the revisions and mods beyond the 3/4 engine.

I once listed all the differences between the 136/177 and the 150 and the gate type EGR was in there.

My contacts have never done any work whatsoever to a 150 engine. I wouldn't be so bold to say that any work has not been done on vehicles country wide. I would still be interested in what is going on with the OP's engine.

• Like 1

Agree Don.... I too am interested to know what is going on with that car...

It just doesn't add up..

£9250 honest to god Charlie, and it's not even a Toyota dealer either.

Anyone willing to pay say £8600 might think they've got emselves a bargain.

If I happen to spot anyone viewing it I'll pop your contact details in their pocket.

Ha

• Like 1

Paul I doubt anyone would pay that much for an. 06 T180. Folk are so genned up now what with the tinterweb to check prices on..

Tell yer what... Private sellers want more for their cars than the dealers do. !!!

• 1 year later...

What is high oil consumption?

I have recently bought a 2011 RAV diesel which had 90,000, and in the last 6 months, have added 13000. Other than it goes well, the fuel consumption is higher than the 5.8L per 100k quoted by NZ govt energy agency (about 6.5L/100k) and it is using about a litre of 5/30 oil per 8000k.

Curious, as last petrol car (Suzuki) used almost none.

Cheers.

Bill

I was not going to contribute to this topic, BUT it sounds like, your Rav4 just needed a top up, that engine does use a bit of oil, it must be checked between services people think that the Toyota they drive are 100% perfect and checking oil is not for them. I would suggest the Toyota garage you are using are looking for some work. stick the oil level on full and check it yourself over the next few miles, my problem is, what is the problem with Toyota dealers are they not capable of rebuilding an engine, if they can't why are you trusting them to service the vehicle.....

That sounds pretty re-assuring.

Thanks and cheers.

Bill..

my problem is, what is the problem with Toyota dealers are they not capable of rebuilding an engine,

If you are referring to the engines being replaced rather than rebuilt, that was a part of the warranty process. New engines could be built quicker and sent out to the network quicker by being reworked in a factory environment, this was not a choice for the dealer

I was referring to the comments on this TOC about Toyota dealers messing up engine rebuilds, I think you miss understood or missed part of my comment. I did not mention warranty process/procedure, Iwas more interested in the concerns of owners about trusting toyota trained techs to rebuild correctly..... I have talked to many owners who have new head gaskets and engine rebuilds and it's mentioned on this TOC that they are un-happy, not my words.....I would not let the three dealers I have used in the past service my petrol lawn mower....

In answer to the owners concern about damage caused by running his Rav4 with oil light on.

The diference between top mark and lower mark on the dip stick is 1 litre, so you still have plenty in, if the oil level drops any where near the bottom mark the light will come on at high engine speeds. you will have no damage, and I suggest your Rav4 is just using a bit of oil, which is better than none, you need a bit to go past the scrapper rings to lube the bores etc.

The RAV engine mods were huge, and in order to turn customer vehicles around quickly Toyota changed the process, that is why some early RAV engines were done at the dealers. Toyota changed this in order to provide factory reconditioned units to customers much quicker, it was nothing to do with them being unable to rebuild them.

Not my words...

First and most importantly DO NOT allow the dealer to strip and rebuild that engine.. It under current policy should be replaced NOT rebuilt.. We have seen cases where dealers have stripped engines and nothing but trouble follows !

I think you are wearing red tints,

YOU are looking at very outdated information, read the later updated bulletins, the dealer will not be paid by Toyota if they strip the engine and rebuild it so that is not going to happen. The later bulletin REQUIRES the dealer to fit a new 3/4 engine, there is not a choice to be had

Sometimes the red tints cuts down the glare of misinformation ;)

I think you need to read more about Dealers stripping engine down and putting them back together , why do keep on about warranty and bulletins, etc. etc. etc. I'm making the point a lot of my customers and a lot of TOC members have had engine rebuilds and head gaskets replaced and have had many problems after, I'm not looking at outdated info, I'm more interested in Toyota owners who have had bad servicng and work carried out by Dealers. I'm a member of a Honda owners club, a Kawasaki owners club, and to be honest someone with links to the Dealers would be watched very carefully they could not post certain items etc. I think you are linked to closely with Toyota and you should make sure when you post you have read my comments. Again I state I have not mentioned any warranty issues with engine rebuilds etc. My aim is to make Toyota owners aware that Toyota dealers like Toyota vehicles have major issues, Most Toyota dealers aim is to make cash (full stop) and Toyota have made some very poor vehicles in the last few years....with major issues which are now costing customers money...I did mentioned before about the extended warranty being introduced you think it was to get customers back on side, to gain confidence, I know it was inroduced because they been caught out building poor vehicles and they were fearfull of losing sales, Not becuase they wanted too, or that they had confidence in Toyota's, you forget about DMF etc. or maybe you think it's someone elses fault because Toyota don't make the parts, Toyota buy them and test them....

Parts King most Toyota owners end up on this site because they have a problem with Thier Toyota a chap as just posted he his having problem with his 2008 Rav4 why don't you get him some advise for his problems from one of your Toyota technicians, I try and help toyota owners save cash, It seems you only help when selling gear for Toyota, I have searched the forum and can't find any info you have posted to actually help members with badly running vehicles, maybe again I'm wrong, come on help this chap with some advise please....

I think you need to read more about Dealers stripping engine down and putting them back together , why do keep on about warranty and bulletins, etc.

This thread was started by a chap who's car was under warranty, that is why I have mentioned bulletins etc. The early 2AD engines when the problems came to light, had to be stripped and rebuilt at dealer level. Then Toyota decided they needed to build these engines themselves in order to get new engines to customers quickly. The modifications were massive and much easier to control in the factory rather than at dealer level. That is why some engines were stripped at dealer level

As for helping people, I do, please refer to post 4 at the start of the thread. The name Parts-King should give you a clue as to what I help people with, namely parts, although I will assist with other issues they may have if I can. As you well know, some issues can be complex to deal with, especially given they may have only just bought a car, not only may they technical problems but also legal terms to address. One thing I try not to do is interfere where I have no expertise whatsoever

Parts King most Toyota owners end up on this site because they have a problem with Thier Toyota a chap as just posted he his having problem with his 2008 Rav4 why don't you get him some advise for his problems from one of your Toyota technicians, I try and help toyota owners save cash, It seems you only help when selling gear for Toyota, I have searched the forum and can't find any info you have posted to actually help members with badly running vehicles, maybe again I'm wrong, come on help this chap with some advise please....

Kingo is well able to defend himself but I would say that your criticism is totally unfounded. PK is the first one to flag up when something seems wrong for a given application or is too expensive from Toyota. Nevertheless he does discount anything that is sold to TOC members; perhaps you'd prefer that he didn't bother?

As for getting Lindop's techies to stop what they're doing to speculate on problems that posters have with their cars, you clearly inhabit a planet where common sense does not prevail and companies don't exist to make money - "Here, Joe, just leave that clutch replacement and see what you think might be wrong with this RAV, Aygo, LC, Avensis. Oh and by the way, the car's in Finland" -. In any event how could you expect Lindop's to accept the legal liability that would be created by one of their employees advising a Toyota owner unilaterally?

Your posts are starting to sound just a tad vindictive.

This thread was resurrected on 4th June (post 56) by a member living in New Zealand, and the question posed at post 56 was "What is high oil consumption?"

So, to get back to the question posed:

An extract from 'AD engines out of warranty guidelines' featured in the first post of 'Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2AD Diesel Engine And Its Issues', described heavy oil consumption as:

Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)

As the member who resurrected the post has needed to top up their Rav 4 by approx 1 litre in 8000km, it appears they are some way away from having heavy oil consumption.

The fact that the Rav 4 is not matching New Zealand's official figures, may not be surprising if those figures, like the official EU fuel consumption figures, are obtained in laboratory tests, and therefore may not relate too well to real life consumption.

Thank you Frostyballs. Obviously oil consumption is not an issue, and hopefully it stays that way.

Official fuel consumption figure do vary. I do not know the EU figures for a 2011 diesel RAV, but Australia is 5.6 litres/100k (flat and empty roads away from towns) and NZ is 5.8 litres/100k (hilly and empty roads away from towns). I'm getting around 6.5 litres/100k.

Best wishes.

Bill

Thank you Frostyballs. Obviously oil consumption is not an issue, and hopefully it stays that way.

Official fuel consumption figure do vary. I do not know the EU figures for a 2011 diesel RAV, but Australia is 5.6 litres/100k (flat and empty roads away from towns) and NZ is 5.8 litres/100k (hilly and empty roads away from towns). I'm getting around 6.5 litres/100k.

Best wishes.

Bill

With respect, the official govt fuel consumption figures are obtained in a lab not on the road and the vehicle condition is maximised as far as possible within the law/regs, e.g. the engines are fully warmed up, panel gaps are taped over, no ancillary eqpt is switched on, the lab temperature is set at the ideal level for max engine economy, etc. You will never, never, never equal the official figures (unless you only ever drive downhill and coast alot! :laughing: )

The differences you quote between Aus & NZ will most likely be due to quirks in the respective country's regulations and testing procedures - definitely not the topography.

The official figures in any country do not reflect the sort of figures that an average punter will obtain in the real world because every car has to tested to the same regs; the figures allow you only to make comparisons between different vehicles.

"Your posts are starting to sound just a tad vindictive"

No not at all, a lot of Toyota owners find this site becuse they have problems with their Toyota and a lot of problems/postings go un-answered but if anyone needs a part or similar they always get an answer, people need more help finding whats wrong with their Toyoto than need a part, or maybe I see it differently???? I have read many posts/topics and not one person can be bothered to answer..... It's like do a serch and find something, if we can't talk about the colour etc. we can't help...people are new to the site and don't understand how it works...

But this is my last post, the wife's Rav4 is going in two weeks, down side she is giving it to the son-in-law, but he understands if it goes wrong he gets if fixed.... And anyone who is experiencing problems at present good luck with fixing it...

she's buying a PHEV

" people are new to the site and don't understand how it works... "

On the contrary I don't think you understand how the site works.

Everyone who posts on Toyota Owners Club does so voluntarily, whether they are a moderator, a premium member or an ordinary member. Those who undertake moderating duties, do not receive any form of monetary reward for their time spent on the forums.

If people didn't find the site useful, the site would not have so many new posts on a daily basis, and there would not be so many regular contributors across a wide variety of threads.

Posts that go unanswered are very much in the minority. If forum members don't know the answer to another member's issue, quite often reference is made to another site which may be of some assistance.

Toyota Owners Club does have a few sponsors, and Lindop Toyota through Parts King, is one, with a particular emphasis on advising and supplying, if appropriate, OE parts at a discount to members.

Toyota Owners Club is not associated with Toyota, and we have the following disclaimer on most pages of the club:

Toyota-Disclaimer-Long-UK.jpg

I note that you have made your last post on Toyota Owners Club, and wish you the best for the future with your Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.