Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Returning To The Rav Fold ;-)

Nightstalker

Hi all...

Looks like I may be returing to the RAV fold. As one of our kids doesnt need a car seat any longer and fits between 2 booster seats just nicely ;-)

Got an 06 plate 2.2 Black XT5 with a style pack which has a smidgin over 51k on the clock coming my way.... if I end up taking it.

My local Mr T has sourced it for me... however! I've just noticed a slight difference in the stereo system, comparing it to my T4 Avensis Tourer... I thought the system was identical and it isn't.... Im not all that fussed about the fact there is no HDD on the Rav4, but I've know read you cannot stream bluetooth music over the stereo.... is that the case?

I've become so used to using my phone as a source of music while on the road I'd hate to go back to dragging CDs about....

Is there a non to expensive way of modding the stereo if you cant stream bluetooth over it...

Also, what's the "Real" MPG like on the 2.2 (not the t180) engine in regards to short distance driving, what range do you tend to get out of a tank... my previous XT3 Petrol wasnt that great... was lucky to get 250miles per tank...

Anywho, any advice is greatly appreciated...

;-)

Regards

Rob

You can get an X car link adapter that will play your music and charge the phone.. Cost from memory about £60

You should get around 34 round town and 41/43 on the motorway as this is what I get from my T180 fitted with the Lindop tuning kit..

Make sure the car has the engine changed as being a 2006 it will ba out of the extended warranty...

Knew you would come back Rob, just like me.

As you have not yet committed to buying the Rav yet, maybe you could be tempted by the best

example of a T180 complete with new engine we have ever seen on here. It belongs to Charlie

and is currently for sale.

Knew you would come back Rob, just like me.

As you have not yet committed to buying the Rav yet, maybe you could be tempted by the best

example of a T180 complete with new engine we have ever seen on here. It belongs to Charlie

and is currently for sale.

Has X car link and HDD Hard drive for music......

Hi guys...

Not back yet ;-)

Im kinda wondering if it was such a good idea now.... get the engine changed on a 2006 reg??? Thought the 2.2 d4d was a work horse?? I should get 12mnth toyota warranty as it's them sourcing the car....

Also starting to think that perhaps I should just stick with the vesis. Although I managed to bring the car down from 11500 to 10k which gives me a 3k shortfall with on finance turns out to cost me 80 quid a month for 3.5 years. Just thinking how miffed the sales chap would be if I now cancel after hes instructed their purchaser to buy the car :-/ really getting cold feet :-(

One option ref the music and MP3's etc .... The RAV head unit will read MP3s on CD - and (I am guessing here a little based on using Local Heroes RAV of same vintage) probably has a multi-CD changer, so could load 6 x 640MB of MP3 tunes.

I am pretty sure you can buy a Toyota warranty for a car not bought from a Dealer (could certainly get a 3rd party one with no problem if not) so that aspect should not be a deal maker/breaker.

what happened to your engine CharlieFarlie that you needed a new one?

Ive heard of DMFs going, and the steering column and accelerator pedal issue, also some gear box problems...

now having said that, I would have thought that a 06 reg would have had those issues ironed out by now...

wasnt expecting the engine failing.... I know the LC4 had issues on certain VINs where there was a problem with the pistons and the engines blowing but not on the Rav 4.3s....

Im intregued to find out more on this....

Also if somone could let us know what they get brim to brim on town driving... not mpg but milage per tank... Currently I get 300 miles out of my avensis petrol cvt on a good run on town and motorway driving... about 330 -350 on the motorway going up to scotland and strangely enough around the 400 on the way back down...

So would like to try and compare the milage to the RAV4 diesel... I know the petrol wasnt that great from back in the days....

My 07 Plate XTR gets me around 450-500 miles round town . . . working out at 40MPG at average speeds around 23-25MPH. . . .

But I do drive it gently ;)

Have never got ma heid round this "how many miles to a tank" question. Give ma wife a tank of petrol in hers, then do same for me, and results will vary wildly. Then what is a "tank"......? Do you drive it until it runs dry ffs.......? Not recomended.......

How many miles to the gallon, using the brim to brim calcs, is surely much more relevant to getting an average, even taking above into consideration........?

• Like 1

To the OP..

Firstly read here...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/#entry1175067

IMO it is essential that people thinking of buying ANY Rav4 2.2 diesel up to and including 2009 cars are in possession of the information in this thread.

Taking out warranty's is very expensive ...

DMFs are not a problem on these cars. The earlier 2.0 diesels had reported problems but not the 4.3 cars.

Things to consider when buying an early 2.2 diesel Rav4..

Has it had the engine changed ?

Has it had the exhaust changed ? Cost for middle section alone is £1000

These are not cheap cars to maintain.. .

MPG is not to bad but remember as much as we can advise each and every car is different and so is the way we drive. Cars very definitely benefit from the likes of the Lindop tuning kit but you have to bear in mind they cost from memory over 350 quid....

In short unless you buy a very well maintained car the Rav is a car that will demand money.

As I cannot find a car to replace my T180 its not available at this moment as mentioned above.

If buying from a dealer bargain VERY HARD as I can tell you they will have likely 2K profit built in .. What they offer for cars in PX and what they sell them for is quite some amount in difference.

I tend to drive from when the car tells me there's 0 miles left and then fill it up to the brim of the tank cap...

And so far on my Avensis petrol 2ltr I get an av of 250 to 270 miles out of the tank for town driving... include some motorway then I reach the 300 mark....

But you are talking about a different car to a Ra4... There could be a huge difference in the tank size for a starter and as I say above the variable are massive. Driving style alone can make a huge difference...

Take you existing car... I bet if you gave it to six drivers each time full of fuel you would get six different results..

Then take in the winter where the 2.2 Diesel Rav eats diesel when temperatures are low. Once warmed up they will deliver the usual sensible mileage...

But if your journeys are short the car never gets into that sweet zone where MPG is at its best.. Those doing very long journeys therefore will report a completely different set of figures...

With respect if MPG is foremost a Rav4 may not be the right choice.

After all a very decent sized car with space for five adults and decent carrying capacity and 4WD capability was never built with high MPG figures in mind.

I know where there is a very nice 2006 RAV with a new engine and lots of toys ;-)

• Like 1

My local mr t has instructed their purchaser to source this rav4 and ive now found it on the toyoya used cars website... the fact that I wad originly told it was 11500 but its actually advertised at 10500 p me off a littl... so now the deal doesnt sound that brill.. 7k for my vensis and 3k to pay so ive only knocked them down by 500 :-( .... on top of that somethings co.e up at work which is going to thow a spanner in the works which ive not had a chance to mention yet as the sale chap was on his day off today.... :-( so the deal might not go a head at all now anyway :-/

10500 for an 06 Rav is absolute madness !11500 is just simply insulting....

I had a dealer phone me who had sourced a car (2012 SR) And tried to talk me into a deal that was ridiculous.. The very same car is on Autotrader for 21800 said dealer asked just over 24K.. Hells teeth I can buy a brand new Invincible for 24995... Insulting ....

I had a dealer phone me who had sourced a car (2012 SR) And tried to talk me into a deal that was ridiculous.. The very same car is on Autotrader for 21800 said dealer asked just over 24K.. Hells teeth I can buy a brand new Invincible for 24995... Insulting ....

Im beginning to think its not such a great deal... iknow its almost top of the range, its a xt5 and value I found online for franchised dealer is 8500 odd... im just about to csll the whole thing off... did check in regards to engine etc and found out its up to date with its recalls ni new exhaust nor engine.....

Im beginning to think its not such a great deal... iknow its almost top of the range, its a xt5 and value I found online for franchised dealer is 8500 odd... im just about to csll the whole thing off... did check in regards to engine etc and found out its up to date with its recalls ni new exhaust nor engine.....

Ah think ah'll buy Charlie's and sell it to ye at a profit......LOL.

Sales chap came back and said that cap shows the 06 xt5 at franchise price of 9700 its actually more the 9200 ish so ive asked the price to be dropped again...will see... I likevthevidea of at leastv12mnths no quibble toyota warranty....camebin handy with the kand cruiser I had as the air con went and needed to be replaced

• Like 1

I think our advice is falling on deaf ears.... It is simply Not a good idea to buy a 2.2 Diesel Rav that is outside of the extended warranty and has not had the engine done !

You keep harping on about how important MPG is yet are looking at a car that ia way way overpriced ! The financial risk of buying a car outside of warranty is simply not on if you are like most of us on a budget..

You can of course buy a warranty but again that is huge added expense.

Your Dealer says an XT5 on a dealer franchise forecourt is 9700 ? for a 2006 car ? Really ? Sorry but that is frankly ridiculous. It just is..

XT5 is not top of the range.... The T180 is. It outstrips the XT5 on equipment by miles..

The T180 is as economical as the XT5 so long as you drive sensibly. Both cars id driven hard will drink fuel. Both cars will benefit hugely from the Lindop kit that gives far better MPG than standard..

Daaamn Charlie Farlie...Harsh words there...

Think you got me wrong...

I am taking your advice/the forums advice on board.

Pretty much saying I'm not going for it. Shame really as I do like the 4.3 Rav, dont think much of the new one :-(

The whole MPG thing is just gathering info... I realise there are different drive styles out there, the RAV4 isnt really a boy racer car, even if youve got the 180. I understand that we all get different MPG figures but still interesting to find out roughly what one could expect from a 2.2 diesel... the 2ltr petrol Rav4.3 I had a few years back was a disappointment in regards to how thirsty it was. Other than that it was a great car until our 3rd ankle snapper turned up ;-)

In regards to the engine problem... I was not aware of the huge failure which could occur until just now :-( That did make me rethink the whole RAV4 thing. The only engine issue I was aware of was that of the LC4 where the engine could blow at around the 50k range. Mr T eventually took this on board and began replacing the engines which failed under warranty...and extended the warranty on specific engine models.

So do we know at what milage the 2.2 is prone to failure?

Sorry did not wish to sound harsh ... Every week or so we see new members with cars they have shelled out for only to discover they have bought a car with problems.. So try to inform members of the issues so they know the risks ..

The T 180 is no boy racers car it is simply a very powerful tourqey version of the Rav with huge pulling power..

There is no given mileage for the issues to arise just as there is no perticular model that is affected. Any car in the Toyota range fitted with the. 2AD engine up till about 2009 can be affected. That said we have seen a few T180s of late !

• Like 1

Sorry did not wish to sound harsh ... Every week or so we see new members with cars they have shelled out for only to discover they have bought a car with problems.. So try to inform members of the issues so they know the risks ..

The T 180 is no boy racers car it is simply a very powerful tourqey version of the Rav with huge pulling power..

There is no given mileage for the issues to arise just as there is no perticular model that is affected. Any car in the Toyota range fitted with the. 2AD engine up till about 2009 can be affected. That said we have seen a few T180s of late !

• Like 1

Daaamn Charlie Farlie...Harsh words there...

Think you got me wrong...

I am taking your advice/the forums advice on board.

Pretty much saying I'm not going for it. Shame really as I do like the 4.3 Rav, dont think much of the new one :-(

The whole MPG thing is just gathering info... I realise there are different drive styles out there, the RAV4 isnt really a boy racer car, even if youve got the 180. I understand that we all get different MPG figures but still interesting to find out roughly what one could expect from a 2.2 diesel... the 2ltr petrol Rav4.3 I had a few years back was a disappointment in regards to how thirsty it was. Other than that it was a great car until our 3rd ankle snapper turned up ;-)

In regards to the engine problem... I was not aware of the huge failure which could occur until just now :-( That did make me rethink the whole RAV4 thing. The only engine issue I was aware of was that of the LC4 where the engine could blow at around the 50k range. Mr T eventually took this on board and began replacing the engines which failed under warranty...and extended the warranty on specific engine models.

So do we know at what milage the 2.2 is prone to failure?

I have a petrol Rav 4.3 and get 30 mpg. I have previously owned a 2.2 diesel and got about 40 mpg and a LC3 that gave 30 mpg. But as Charlie says fuel consumption is only a part of ownership cost. I am quite happy with my petrol RAV but the torque is much larger in the diesel. The 2.2 engines apparently fail at any mileage so once out of warranty would incur a big bill. The T180 is a gem in both the Rav and Avensis but I would only buy if I were happy to write off if the worst happened.

Not many XT5s for sale but tend to be pricey for what they are.

Have never got ma heid round this "how many miles to a tank" question. Give ma wife a tank of petrol in hers, then do same for me, and results will vary wildly. Then what is a "tank"......? Do you drive it until it runs dry ffs.......? Not recomended.......

How many miles to the gallon, using the brim to brim calcs, is surely much more relevant to getting an average, even taking above into consideration........?

I would agree that true calculated MPG from brim-to-brim is the key relevant info, but ..... 'How much on a tank' can be important (thoguht not as much) as well I think.... I used to drive my RAV4.2 Petrol from Devon to Scotland fairly often and used to have to fill up at least once each way (range was about 220 miles :( ) which tended to mean having to pay Motorway Prices for fuel, which is painful. If you have a motor that has a greater range, even if less economical, it can actually be cheaper to run perversely (my last 3 vehicles have all had a range of around 600 miles)