Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Drinking Oil !

CraigyR

Had the RAV for just over a year now. Bought at 87K (08 plate) and got a full service and MOT at Mr T in Oct at 97K. On Monday evening this week got a message on the dash - Oil service now due (or similar). Initially thought it was a service interval that needed reset so adjusted on dash when I got home (<0.5 miles). Same warning appeared the next morning so switched off and checked oil level - lower than min level - put around 300ml of oil I had left in and went to work when I called dealer - took it in and they have me on the oil monitoring program to see if I need a new engine. They topped it up too.

I have a couple of Q's for those in the know.

1 -How much oil is used between the max and min levels on the dipstick?

2 - How much does a clutch kit cost if I have to get one done at the same time as the engine?

3 - Exhaust was a beginning to be a bit noisy as noted at service and MOT and I was thinking of getting it changed in the new year - is that something that would be done by Mr T at the same time if the engine was replaced - I know that the 5th injector and DPF and CAT can get done. wasn't sure if all that was the main front end of the exhaust.

Anyway - time will tell - A new engine may be round the corner. However its also just sheared a rear anti roll bar so it will be in on Monday next week to get that done - More expense !!!

Sounds like another T-180 engine bites the dust I'm sorry to say...

It's usually about 1L of oil between min and max on the dip stick...

A clutch cost around the £200 mark I thank. I have a genuine New Toyota DMF and clutch kit for sale if you're interested... Pm me if you like.

I think you'll find that the exhaust is an expensive one on your car! Charliefarley on here can tell you more about that as he's had one done... The D-Cat is at the front end on the exhaust system and that's where the 5th injector sits... This usually gets replaced when you get a new engine alone with the EGR valve...

Hope all goes well...

So at around 100000 miles - quite late to develop the oil burning issue. Did the car use any oil up to the time it was serviced in October?

So at around 100000 miles - quite late to develop the oil burning issue. Did the car use any oil up to the time it was serviced in October?

From the previous service in Oct 2012 to 2013, I topped it up once with around 0.5 L and I did around 10K miles.

From the previous service in Oct 2012 to 2013, I topped it up once with around 0.5 L and I did around 10K miles.

......better than some (most?) then.......who didn't need a new engine. Strange min...

Sounds like another T-180 engine bites the dust I'm sorry to say...

It's usually about 1L of oil between min and max on the dip stick...

A clutch cost around the £200 mark I thank. I have a genuine New Toyota DMF and clutch kit for sale if you're interested... Pm me if you like.

I think you'll find that the exhaust is an expensive one on your car! Charliefarley on here can tell you more about that as he's had one done... The D-Cat is at the front end on the exhaust system and that's where the 5th injector sits... This usually gets replaced when you get a new engine alone with the EGR valve...

Hope all goes well...

TIMUFFY YER BACK !

In answer to the Ops questions.

Not sure about how much oil between the marks but think around 1 litre

Clutch kit circa £300

Exhaust from the DPNR back to the rear section is over £1100. Usually 8-900 with discount..

If your engine is to be changed its definately worth fitting a clutch as it is just the cost of the parts.. Especially bearing in mind the mileage of the car !

I'd wait and see what the oil consumption test shows before jumping to conclusions.

Your dealer seems to be pretty fair advising a possible new engine,and your still within the seven year goodwill warranty period, personally at that mlg I'd be praying you need a new engine .

As said the exhaust is anything between £850-1k..although you can get a stainless one for half that,but I'd stick with the OEM.

...........and if Mistermena's clutch is same wan for your car, well atsa no brainer mate...........bill yer foots, as no labour involved whilst engine is out being replaced.

Sounds just perfic..fill yer boots indeed ;-)

Eh up charlie my mate :)

Thought I'd just check in to have a look see! Saw this thread and couldn'y help myself! Especially if there is someone that could make use of a DMF and clutch kit for a bargin price :)

As me mukka Kev says... Fill your boots :)

You Gorra PM Tim.

Izzat the Speaking Clock in old money, Charlie........?

• Like 2

So in this case oil consumption has gone from almost nil to very high over a short period of time. Hopefully the monitoring will indicate consumption above the target level in order to trigger a new engine. It's quite intriguing and I can only think that design is such as to give a very narrow operating band of robust operation. In many cases the engine stays on the right side of the band and oil consumption remains OK - in other cases, something happens and things fall off the upper edge of the band and the engine drinks oil. On average - the oil problem appears at around 40,000 miles and this engine has gone over double the average. It would just be very interesting to understand the factors which push the engine over the edge.

• Like 2

So in this case oil consumption has gone from almost nil to very high over a short period of time. Hopefully the monitoring will indicate consumption above the target level in order to trigger a new engine. It's quite intriguing and I can only think that design is such as to give a very narrow operating band of robust operation. In many cases the engine stays on the right side of the band and oil consumption remains OK - in other cases, something happens and things fall off the upper edge of the band and the engine drinks oil. On average - the oil problem appears at around 40,000 miles and this engine has gone over double the average. It would just be very interesting to understand the factors which push the engine over the edge.

Surely the problems do not increase overnight ? The car develops its thirst for oil over time .... My car was burning oil from the day I bought it some 2 years and 8 months ago.. So its decline into oil burning was not measurable for me ..

I cannot think an engine "suddenly" just starts consuming oil..

• Like 1

Hi, if your Toyota agent supplies and fits the new clutch it comes with a guarantee, if it's a secondhand or after market clutch YOU SUPPLY there is no guarantee by the agent.

Regards Rob

I had an Engine fitted under the extended guarantee and then the clutch fitted labour free.

Clutch set, cov T31001-OW100 £299.76 +VAT 21/03/2013 RRG

Clutch rel brg T31230-20200 £25.24 +VAT

From all the relevant info you would think the well documented D4D engine issues are caused by carbon build up,which youd think by its very nature is a slow burner over several years,that said the OPs engine has lasted over 100k mls and as Gareth said most give up at the 40k mark..so who really knows??

I'm not suggesting that the problem occurs overnight - but there is quite a bit of evidence that a significant deterioration can occur over a shortish period of time. Like everything else, if there was enough data, we'd probably see a normal distribution with some cars on the left of the distribution having problems from day one. There are many Ravs which are reasonably OK for 40+K miles and then at some point - oil consumption starts to increase rapidly. At the same time - most cars go on and on without a problem surfacing. It's all a bit academic but reflects a belief that car makers are continuously pushing designs to improve emissions and fuel consumption by reducing friction and weight. It certainly isn't just a Toyota problem - excessive oil consumption is a widespread problem.

• Like 1

Fact is a large percentage of failures (For want of a better word) are in the 30 to 45K mile window... It was accepted that one of the reasons for oil passing the rings was down to the low friction rings used in the constant chase for better fuel economy....

With the new (to me) information on the detrimental effect the EGR valve fitted to the earlier engines has in so much as it clogs easily I wonder if the cars that are treated to high quality fuel (Always recommended here) and driven hard will not display the usual indicators until much higher mileage or perhaps never.....

Oil consumption is not a problem if it does not have dire consequences for other parts of the engine or its ancillaries .. On the Rav4 it does of course...

• Like 1

Hi, if your Toyota agent supplies and fits the new clutch it comes with a guarantee, if it's a secondhand or after market clutch YOU SUPPLY there is no guarantee by the agent.

Regards Rob

I had an Engine fitted under the extended guarantee and then the clutch fitted labour free.

Clutch set, cov T31001-OW100 £299.76 +VAT 21/03/2013 RRG

Clutch rel brg T31230-20200 £25.24 +VAT

But I will sell a Brand New genuine Toyota Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch kit with oil seals for £400... The DMF alone cost way more than that...

Okay guys.... Final offer to the forum on this! Next week it goes on eBay for £600. And if it sells it sells! And if not it doesn't matter...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links