Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Maintenance Warning Light

152bobby

Hello,

My "Oil maintenance required now" warning light has just come on.

Since this is my first diesel, can someone tell me exactly what oil I need to get and how much should I put in.

Should I get it from Mr T and use the pucker stuff or can I get it at Halfords ?

Cheers

Bobby

PS: I guess I need to keep a closer eye on my oil levels, since I now have a Lindop Chip fitted !!!!

post-135040-0-68355700-1386239483_thumb.

0W30 C2 Spec oil would be perfect. Euro car parts have a sale on at the minute, some great deals on Castrol Edge 0w30 which would be perfect for your engine. You can even choose a 5w30 oil, just as long as its C2 spec.

The Halfords stuff would be fine, but for the sake of the extra £20, its worth using a well known brand like Castrol, Millers or the Toyota PFE stuff.

I have checked and topped up my oil level and have followed the handbooks instructions on how to cancel this warning, but the wee bugger keeps coming back on !!

When this warning light comes on, is it telling me the oil level is low or is it telling me its due a oil and filter change ?

Time reminder of oil change due, Boab min. Take it 50 k service due...........?

Kev, was told by Mr T when I popped in after I bought it, that the next service is not due until 53k or March 2014.

Should I wait or should I at least get just the oil and filter changed now ?

Won't damage anything if I wait, will I ?

Unusually the 'low oil pressure' display came up on our 2012 D4D for the second time in a month today.

The first time I just topped up with 1/2 lt of oil, but it's on again only two weeks later.

It's on 17.5k mls and was last serviced at 10k mls.

Seems quite unusual, any ideas guys?

A low oil pressure warning is bad news and needs checking out. As Don pointed out previously - theres absolutely no reason why the oil level should influence the pressure provided the level is between the max and min mark - theres no requirement on any car for the oil to be constantly topped up to the max mark. Oil pressure switches do go faulty and this should be the first check. Essentially if the pressure genuinely drops to a level that triggers the switch (a few psi) - it equates to virtually zero oil flow and even if the pressure dip is momentarily - it's bad news on a modern close tolerance engine. Momentary dips would not usually be as a result of pump or bearing problems - these sort of things would be more prolonged. Dips are usually associated with blocked sump strainers (not likely on a low mileage car), relief valve not seating properly, oil filter assembly issues, air ingress, oil foaming or poorly designed sump baffling (stops the oil sloshing around).

• Like 1

OFF TO MR T ASAP then !!

It had a FULL Toyota service at 44,203 on 25/5/13 and the current mileage is now 49,600, so I will leave it up to them to sort out.

I will whip the Lindop Chip kit out first, as I don't want that clouding their judgement (I hope it's not the chip that has caused this fault).

Absolutely hee haw to do with chip, Bobby........Gareth may know why it has come on so early before 10k miles is up......?

Paul........go get yon oil pressure fing checked.......RAMORRA min.....!

OFF TO MR T ASAP then !!

It had a FULL Toyota service at 44,203 on 25/5/13 and the current mileage is now 49,600, so I will leave it up to them to sort out.

I will whip the Lindop Chip kit out first, as I don't want that clouding their judgement (I hope it's not the chip that has caused this fault).

...........and yours is NOT an oil pressure problem that Paul has reported, Bobby.........merely mileage/timing warning.......at least they remembered to set the bliddy thing when it was last serviced.....!

There's two issues - Voyager t180 outlines the issue of low oil pressure and my response relates to this issue. BobbyMcLeish has the issue of the oil service light coming up prematurely. Since Toyota did the last service - it would be wise to talk to them.

There's two issues - Voyager t180 outlines the issue of low oil pressure and my response relates to this issue. BobbyMcLeish has the issue of the oil service light coming up prematurely. Since Toyota did the last service - it would be wise to talk to them.

My SR 180 came on early at about 1200 miles and 1800 miles few years back, and I got a really technical explanation...........

"Some of them dae that, sur......"

Kev, For the point at which the oil maintenance message comes on, the engine ECU is supposed to do a rough engine oil soot content calculation as well as being based on the distance driven.

I expect if you are doing a lot of short journeys and/or with a fair bit of heavy acceleration, that would probably make it come on earlier.

However, there's a maximum driven distance, after which the message will be displayed anyway. This is reported to be 30000 km or about 18750 miles, which does not fit with Toyota UK's recommended service intervals.

If It came on roughly 1200 miles early, say for your 20k service, I expect it was never reset @ the 10000 miles service and just came on at the 18750 miles (30000 km) mark.

When you say "reset", do you mean they would have just plugged something into the ODB (or whatever it's called) and cleared it ?

I have a reader and have cleared it, but it came back on !!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll drop it in at MrTs, its due a service now anyway.

Never have these issues with the old problematical T180 ;-)

Our manuals may tell us how to switch it OFF, but not allow us to SET it.....naw......?

When you say "reset", do you mean they would have just plugged something into the ODB (or whatever it's called) and cleared it ?

I have a reader and have cleared it, but it came back on !!!

Sorry, that sounds a little confused to me.

The oil maintenance message can be cleared without resorting to a generic EOBD reader. The procedure is here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/115132-oil-maintenance-warning-light-43-xt5-d-4d/#entry1041679

You should also see a countdown, I think with 5 or so "dashes" on the display, if I remember correctly.

If your "check engine lamp" is on, (The yellow engine symbol), that is something entirely different and is the engine ECU trying to tell you that it thinks that there is a fault. That can be cleared with a standard OBD reader, but will come back on if the fault is still present.

You may possibly be able to reset the "oil maintenance required" message, with a reader connected to the OBD port, but I expect it has to be one (compatible with/similar to) toyota techstream types, which if it is a legally aquired system, is usually a fair bit more expensive than the generic £30 or so ones.

Does that clear things up?

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have replied earlier. Followed your instructions and the warning message has now cleared. Thanks.