Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatics

rushy45

I have a Manual Auris 1.33, after xmas I am thinking of changing to get a Automatic, I have read that there is a lot of problems with the MMT box, and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about the Toyota range of Auto's, which is best to go for, I do like A smooth gear change, some I have tried are very jerky when changing, don't like that. don't do enough milage to warrant a diesel so best petrol one, any model, Thanks in advance.. Mike

In the first generation Auris the automatic option was the MMT for petrol or diesel, with the Hybrid having a CVT.

With the current Auris and Yaris the automatic option is a CVT - the Auris CVT being available in the1.6 petrol and hybrid according to the brochure I have.

Personally, with the level of problems that people have had with the MMT transmission, I wouldn't buy a used one without purchasing a Toyota extended warranty. Don't bother with a third party extended warranty.

The CVT's seem far better.

I have had a Verso S (1.33 litre) and currently a Yaris Trend.

Both have the excellent CVT gearbox

The CVT gearbox will give you a silky smooth (chauffeur style) ride with imperceptible changes.

If the throttle is floored the engine note can be quite raucous ......The trick is to "ride the torque curve" with gentle increases to the throttle.......This technique is soon easily mastered

The CVT is far superior to the MMT which I had previously owned although I never found any major problems with the MMT gearbox, it was just not as smooth in operation.

for the last 25 years I've alway driven autos - and the CVT in my Avensis is truly excellent, the best of the lot .....

CVTs are super weird to drive at first. There's no more dropping down a gear to overtake, the engine goes mental if you floor it. But for driving around town they're nice and smooth.

Actually I have a 2013 Auris diesel automatic with MMT. I don't believe it exists in the UK. MMT is also weird at first (and for quite a long time), as it feels bizarrely similar to driving a manual with some invisible robot operating the clutch. Rolling back on hills scared the crap out of me the first time (after driving 'normal' autos and a CVT before getting this).

I do prefer the feeling of 'proper gears' rather than a CVT, though.

I have a 2013 Auris with CVT and its brilliant.

You are not aware of "gear changes" its totally smooth,everything goes a bit "ballistic" if you floor it but how often do you need to do that!!

Great car.

Ditto above comments re CVT - no contest!

Never been a big fan of CVTs in general but it's much more refined and reliable than the MMT.

If you can afford it, get a HSD - Hands down best autobox you can buy as long as you don't need to tow anything (And alas 'real' (i.e. torque-converter) autoboxes are getting very hard to find :( )

I thought that the HSD (e-cvt) fiited on the Auris Hybid HDS, was almost identical to the CVT box fitted to the Auris 1.6 CVT.

I drove both for a test drive and could not tell the difference between them.

So did I.

I have driven the Auris Hybrid the Yaris Hybrid and the Yaris 1.3 CVT and and of course my own Auris 1.6 cvt.

The Auris in 1.6 cvt and Hybrid seemed to be identical.

The Yaris in 1.3 petrol seemed to go bonkers when you floored it (maybe the smaller engine).

The Yaris Hybrid seemed pretty good when subjected to the same test (bigger engine and electric motor).

I think you pay your money and take your choice.

If you want bad try the old Honda Jazz with the dreaded i-shift.

It seemed to have a mind of its own ( I wonder why Honda dropped it?).

"It seemed to have a mind of its own"

As does the MMT fitted to the Mk 2 Yaris. (I wonder why Toyota dropped it?) :g:

I test drove a Jazz i-shift last year and it was appalling. It wouldn't kick down. The salesman suggested we abandon the test drive as "it's clear you'd be bonkers to buy one, I suggest you wait until next year (2013) when the CVT box is back".... unusually honest for a car salesman!

Despite the "boring" label given to most Toyotas by the motoring press, mine is still the best car I've ever had (in 40 years) and it does exactly what I want.

Glad to see there are some like minded Toyota (CVT) drivers out there.

We have also owned several Honda Jazz CVTs, but when they changed ti the i-shift (automated manual) - it was terrible. Glad to see Honda have re-instated the CVT box in the Jazz.

We also own an Aygo MMT, and although not brilliant, it is much better than most automated manuals that I have driven.

I thought that the HSD (e-cvt) fiited on the Auris Hybid HDS, was almost identical to the CVT box fitted to the Auris 1.6 CVT.

I drove both for a test drive and could not tell the difference between them.

I think the hybrid e-cvt feels like a normal cvt box but they are slightly different.

Found this which explains it in some detail.

http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/PriusFrames.htm

(look at Understanding your Prius/Continuously Variable Transmission)

I have been driving the Auris HSD a few months now and think the gearbox is great, very smooth and easy to use.

The HSD reacts a bit like a conventional CVT but mechanically is very different. CVTs use sliding friction belts while the HSD is all cogs and gears. Should be much more reliable in the long term. (Also, I try not to call the HSD a CVT anymore as it seems to make HSD owners really angry :eek: :P)

In the 2013 Auris brochure, Toyota describe the Hybrid as an e-CVT

Thanks for the explanation guys. I now can see the mechanical difference. Thing is they appear to drive the same which is OK by me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had the warning light coming on twice on my MMT 1.4 diesel with 28k on the clock just cant believe Toyota could have made a box with such a failure built in will be taking it in tomorrow to be diagnosed at my local Toyota dealership

Toyota weren't alone with problems with the automated manual gearbox - hence why most manufacturers have dropped them.

they never told me that when i bought it I just wanted an automatic cant fault the cars pefomance but themmt box is an overkill

I have never driven the MMT gear box.

My friend did have a test drive in a Toyota with MMT and said it was terrible.

He went and bought a Jazz with i shift.

So how bad WAS the MMT if the i shift was better.

I have driven all sorts of Autos for 20 years the MMT takes some getting used to. whats upset me is I didnt know there were issues with this type of box I thought Toyota would have been big enough to say theres an issue and we will put it right will let you all know how I get on . one thing I have realised is you have to adapt your driving method knock it into neutral when at stop and apply the brake. I am pretty sure that buy driving it as a conventional automatic then this might cause the effect to happen If Toyota quote me dull the car will go to my local garage where they can release and re tighten the 3 bolts that attach the problem componet I hope its just the heat sensor

they never told me that when i bought it I just wanted an automatic cant fault the cars pefomance but themmt box is an overkill

Think very few car sales people would admit to faults with the car they're trying to sell you. How well the automated manual transmissions work varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but repair costs can be expensive.

Went in today to Toyota they couldnt find a fault so I have decided and taken out an extra 2 years Toyota warranty just couldnt afford to take the risk will keep you all informed if the fault returnes