Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatics

rushy45

That seems a sensible move as regards the MMT - as, if it does go wrong, repairs can be expensive.

I find the MMT ok... I like being able to take control on motorways or long open roads (where I can choose 6th and cruise along).

It's overly keen on dropping into first at low speed though, which is !Removed! annoying. Crawling in traffic, it could happily stay in second, but no it loves dropping down and revving away. Even when in "manual" - it still shifts down by itself in that mode. I really hate that; I'm wailing away on the "up" paddle and nothing gives until the robot thinks it's ready. I wonder if a mechanic can remap the box... but that sounds like asking for trouble.

But my wife just leaves it in "E" all the time and she isn't at all bothered by the over-the-top revs at low speed. She is bothered by the rolling backwards on hills, however.

CVT definitely seems to be the way things are going. Although the comment that "all manufacturers are dumping MMT" doesn't seem to ring true, as all of the VW group cars seem to be continuing with their "DSG" systems (unless I'm mistaken). I've driven a Golf and Seat Leon with the DSG and they felt nice, better than the Toyota MMT (mainly thanks to including Stop/Start and automatic Hill Hold systems). They had some highly publicised problems but I don't think they've abandoned their boxes. I would have bought one if the Golf didn't have a 6 month wait (what!?) and the wife didn't think the Leon was too "boy racer-y".

I think you will find (open to correction) that the MMT box is a single clutch box.

The DSG is twin clutch,hence more efficient.

I stand corrected, it seems you're right. I guess I believed the spiel when the salesman was saying "it's just like the DSG".. he never explicitly said it was a dual clutch system but certainly never said otherwise either... salesmen eh?

the salesman never told me that unlike conventional auto box cars you need to put it in neutral when you stop at lights etc otherwise you are riding the clutch I know of loads of DSG owners having big bills that system doesnt appear to be Uber reliable it appears they all have hickups from either 30k or 5 years old is it a built in weakness

At the moment I am using a VW Passat Estate with the DSG box as my Avansis with the CVT box is in for some minor body repairs. The DSG box is nowhere near as smooth as the CVT and has some odd foibles at times. I considered the Passat when I bought the Avensis but decided against anything with the DSG box after researching it.

the salesman never told me that unlike conventional auto box cars you need to put it in neutral when you stop at lights etc otherwise you are riding the clutch I know of loads of DSG owners having big bills that system doesnt appear to be Uber reliable it appears they all have hickups from either 30k or 5 years old is it a built in weakness

I don't do this, although at first I did as I was worried. But through observation I'm fairly confident the car isn't riding the clutch with the brake pressed in. I base this mainly on the fact that slowly releasing the brake makes the car roll back a bit, then the clutch grabs. The brake pedal almost feels like it has the clutch biting point type response (through the rest of the car obviously not the pedal itself since it's a switch not mechanically connected). Putting in neutral also has no effect on idle revs, as I'd expect if the car was on the clutch?

It's possible I have a revised box (my 1.4d mmt new shape seems a rare beast). It's also possible I'm entirely wrong.

I drove Skoda (VAG) DSG cars for 8 years and they are OK most of the time - except for trying to do a rolling start at junctions and roundabouts - and generally I never found much difference between a DSG and a torque auto. But they were very reliable (300k miles and no faults). Contrast this to the Toyota/Honda/Ford "automated manuals", where a computer lifts the throttle and servos change gear.... they are horrendously complicated and were just a ruse to get better emissions results

Just be thankful you don't have the Ford variety ("Durashift"). This is fitted to my transit motorhome (and is the same as fitted to focus, fusion and Mondeo) and a for a leaking valve on the primary hydraulic pump Ford tells me a need a new pump at £4k. Yes, you read that right, four thousand pounds for a pump. Fortunately the fitter told me to keep an eye on the levels and top up where necessary, but eventually it will need to be done.

On the topic of the Toyota CVT, it's the smoothest auto I've driven for ... ever (well,40 years).

• Like 1

I have driven all sorts of Autos for 20 years the MMT takes some getting used to. whats upset me is I didnt know there were issues with this type of box I thought Toyota would have been big enough to say theres an issue and we will put it right will let you all know how I get on . one thing I have realised is you have to adapt your driving method knock it into neutral when at stop and apply the brake. I am pretty sure that buy driving it as a conventional automatic then this might cause the effect to happen If Toyota quote me dull the car will go to my local garage where they can release and re tighten the 3 bolts that attach the problem componet I hope its just the heat sensor

On my Transit automated manual, the computer sets the bite point of the clutch every time you switch the engine on and ensures that the clutch is not ridden when the vehicle is at a stop.

• 2 months later...

CVT Best for City Driving

Manual for Motorway

MMT -crap

DSG- fine when new first 3 years then after big trouble if need repair

SST Mitsubishi Ralliart same as VAG dsg

I noticed one really frightening aspect of the MMT box the gearbox doesnt like really steep inclines it cant make its mind up which gear and grinds to a halt trying to decide which gear this happened to me with a woman driver wedged up my bumper blowing her horn at me there was nothing I could do it suddenly found some traction and limped up the hill

I noticed one really frightening aspect of the MMT box the gearbox doesnt like really steep inclines it cant make its mind up which gear and grinds to a halt trying to decide which gear this happened to me with a woman driver wedged up my bumper blowing her horn at me there was nothing I could do it suddenly found some traction and limped up the hill

This is where you push the pedal all the way in, where you'll find it suddenly feels like a button... because it is - it will drop you down into first (or into a lower gear if you do when zooming along).

I'm not sure "frightening" is the appropriate word, but it is a little weird agreed. Sometimes if you drive up a hill slowly the gearbox will decide to change up into second at which point it has barely enough torque to continue up the hill. You just have to know how it behaves and drive accordingly - I tend to give it a bit of a boot into the bottom the hill up to my street so when it changes up it's got enough revs to hit the turbo and carry on up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links